Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, the range of sail shaped has burgeoned since I raced a quarter tonner! I suspect that Hobie's reacher will be similar to the G reacher on the bottom row. (BTW, I reckon you were spot on with your description of thje different sails).

My yacht had a foil on the forestay, with two slots. Each upwind sail had a rope in the luff which fitted a slot. So I could send up a new sail alongside the existing working one, and then peel that one off after trimming the new one. Only downside was that the old sail was then loose on deck, so needed to be lashed down or sent below quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first spinnakers were all what looks like the G2 asymmetric spinnakers in the pic (135 sq ft) that I would keep in a sail bag and hoist when on downwind. I ran that sail for 3yrs but seldom put it out unless it was a long downwind run (note: those things are giant (bigger than a car) and difficult to handle). To put them away you grab the clew (which is behind you) and start pulling it in bundling it up and stuffing into the bag. This is all well and fine in very low winds but deadly dangerous in 15-20 mph plus winds (good way to lose a finger), I also tried several snuffer designs, none worked worth a crap. The halyard ran back to the back of the boat around a pully then tied off in the cockpit (exactly the same way Hobie is doing it). The halyard line doubles as a rear stay (has to be done this way because of the little stud). They have a rotating mast topper similar to mine, with one exception, they didn't extend the rear part of the mast topper far enough (you need 2ft) and the rear stay line keeps getting tangled in the back of the main (a very dangerous situation). I explained the problem as I saw it to Jim at the EC, and gave him some suggestions to solve it. I'm pretty confident in Hobies Engineering, and they will have the issues resolve by the time they release it to market. With that sail I achieved some of my fastest sustained speeds (20mph plus), however all the other speed related design issues began to creep their ugly head. The nylon aka brace bolts began breaking while just sailing whenever you hit a wave or boat wake or bury your ama at speed). The other major issue is without adding a bow sprit and angling the fore sail so it provides lift to lift the bow out of the water the bow of the boat simply submerges and goes into submarine mode (it doesnt slow the boat down much, but boy do you get wet. Before adding the bow sprit and figuring out I could use the spinnaker cut to lift the bow, I could only run the spinnaker with my hydrofoils installed. The other problem on the TI is the mast is so close to the bow there isn't enough room for the big foresail (you can't get enough air in there). Also keep in mind that huge sail in 20 mph wind is generating in excess of 50 horespower. With out the bow being braced it just waves the front of the bow around like a rag doll and will fold on you at the hatch opening (you can watch it waving around about 5-6 inches (if you not too busy hanging on for dear life). Also you have a huge risk of pitch pole diving the TI, I pitch poled mine a couple times hitting big boat wakes at speed, your flying along at 18-20 mph the bow dives straight down and the tail come up about 6 ft (20 mph to zero in about 1 second. Both times this happened to me my rear stay line snapped bending the mast forward and flinging the mast topper off the top of the mast. Now with the spinnaker laying on the water you promptly run over the spinnaker (a very shameful and embarrasing thing to do), It's a really bad thing to run over your own sails (lol). The other weakness creeps it's ugly head if you want to do a suicide jibe while at speed, if you crank the rudder hard it simply snaps off and flies into the air (oops). I kind of had to stop using my hydrofoils until I can get that problem solved.
The main reason I converted to a furling spinnaker is if the wind is blowing hard and you throw that spinnaker out from a dead stop, it opens like a parachute (huge jerk) which either blows it out, snaps your rear stay line, breaks that little 1/4" stud, or heaven forbid shears your mast off (oops), plus its near impossible to bring back in. With the furler you get up to speed as fast as you can with the main and jib, once your up to speed you unfurl the spinnaker (it's your turbo booster). When ready to jibe or switch to upwind I have to furl it while at speed switch tacks then unfurl to the other side once I'm settled and to speed on the other tack. It only takes a second or two to furl in or out, usually once its out, I furl the jib in because it shadows the spinnaker (very seldom can you run both at the same time). Once you add all this stuff the boat becomes a complex boat similar to the windrider 17 or the Weta with about the same sail area. This is way way beyond where 99% of the TI owners want to go (most prefer simple and easy/fast to rig). Also keep in mind where I mostly sail (off shore in the keys where the distances are great). Now comes the most important point, your upwind performance needs to match your downwind performance or you can have a blast doing a huge downwind run (like us chasing the Marquisa down outrunning her south of key west, then turn around 4 miles south of key west unable to get back up wind (pretty stupid move), that's why the wing sail was added so I can sail up to 2x upwind in low winds (true story). My latest spinnaker cut is similar to a code zero (furling), but has a soft wing on the leading edge so I can use it like you would a Genoa, but when relaxed it still acts like a G2 downwind (not the best design, I plan to re-design someday if I ever get the ambition, 'probably not', moving forward I only plan to use only wing sails).
Actually once I added the wing jib, it's became awkward to use the spinnaker ( I have to furl and drop the wing), with just the main and wing jib my downwind performance is more than acceptable (to me anyway (at times up to 2x windspeed in low winds) so I hardly ever take the spinnaker along anymore except when we are in Key West (nice trade winds), I'll sometimes use it just for the fun and raw thrill of it (there is nothing more fun and exciting in sailing than a giant spinnaker). (FYI Wings are very boring and predictable LOL)
I'm not recommending anyone do what I have done (way too much risk unless you really know your stuff), if you want to go fast get an H16.....or a Weta, or wait for Hobies Super TI, which I hope they are working on......with Mirage drives it's would be awesome and unequaled by anything out there or on anyone's drawing boards (if they don't do it soon somebody else will, and play on Hobies TI's huge following).
Just my opinions obviously....
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even though I cherish the relative simplicity of my TI,. I must confess I do miss the complexity of small racing keelboats like J24s etc, and while I always packed the symmetrical spinnaker, often the crew member connecting it up at the bow was a newbie, and despite each corner being colour coded, the pattern of the sail panels made (thankfully very rare) errors impossible to hide if it went up sideways! Said newbie had to endure the walk of shame back at the club-house :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
and here normal service is resumed as I pedal past my old (36yo) yacht

Last edited by tonystott on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow.
No spinnaker for me.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

He he, :twisted: We'll see about that!

Bob, really great info and advice there, my man. I've had the TI3 rig fouled up so that we could not furl it when we needed to. Similar experiences on cats. Keep a knife handy at all times. And lots of rudder pins. :o

Anytime a sail gets away from you, particularly a foresail that's impossible to reach and wrestle, thangs get dicey. Throw in a few shallow reefs and,..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the need for a bow sprit, has anyone measured and compared the bow to mast distance on the new and old AI? Is the new hull simply stretched in front?

If so, seems like it would improve the mounting points for a jib, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is embarrassing when your clubmates tell you the keel needs cleaning after a slight issue with a spinnaker. Ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
My first spinnakers were all what looks like the G2 asymmetric spinnakers in the pic (135 sq ft) that I would keep in a sail bag and hoist when on downwind. I ran that sail for 3yrs but seldom put it out unless it was a long downwind run (note: those things are giant (bigger than a car) and difficult to handle). To put them away you grab the clew (which is behind you) and start pulling it in bundling it up and stuffing into the bag. This is all well and fine in very low winds but deadly dangerous in 15-20 mph plus winds (good way to lose a finger), I also tried several snuffer designs, none worked worth a crap. The halyard ran back to the back of the boat around a pully then tied off in the cockpit (exactly the same way Hobie is doing it). The halyard line doubles as a rear stay (has to be done this way because of the little stud). They have a rotating mast topper similar to mine, with one exception, they didn't extend the rear part of the mast topper far enough (you need 2ft) and the rear stay line keeps getting tangled in the back of the main (a very dangerous situation). I explained the problem as I saw it to Jim at the EC, and gave him some suggestions to solve it. I'm pretty confident in Hobies Engineering, and they will have the issues resolve by the time they release it to market. With that sail I achieved some of my fastest sustained speeds (20mph plus), however all the other speed related design issues began to creep their ugly head. The nylon aka brace bolts began breaking while just sailing whenever you hit a wave or boat wake or bury your ama at speed). The other major issue is without adding a bow sprit and angling the fore sail so it provides lift to lift the bow out of the water the bow of the boat simply submerges and goes into submarine mode (it doesnt slow the boat down much, but boy do you get wet. Before adding the bow sprit and figuring out I could use the spinnaker cut to lift the bow, I could only run the spinnaker with my hydrofoils installed. The other problem on the TI is the mast is so close to the bow there isn't enough room for the big foresail (you can't get enough air in there). Also keep in mind that huge sail in 20 mph wind is generating in excess of 50 horespower. With out the bow being braced it just waves the front of the bow around like a rag doll and will fold on you at the hatch opening (you can watch it waving around about 5-6 inches (if you not too busy hanging on for dear life). Also you have a huge risk of pitch pole diving the TI, I pitch poled mine a couple times hitting big boat wakes at speed, your flying along at 18-20 mph the bow dives straight down and the tail come up about 6 ft (20 mph to zero in about 1 second. Both times this happened to me my rear stay line snapped bending the mast forward and flinging the mast topper off the top of the mast. Now with the spinnaker laying on the water you promptly run over the spinnaker (a very shameful and embarrasing thing to do), It's a really bad thing to run over your own sails (lol). The other weakness creeps it's ugly head if you want to do a suicide jibe while at speed, if you crank the rudder hard it simply snaps off and flies into the air (oops). I kind of had to stop using my hydrofoils until I can get that problem solved.
The main reason I converted to a furling spinnaker is if the wind is blowing hard and you throw that spinnaker out from a dead stop, it opens like a parachute (huge jerk) which either blows it out, snaps your rear stay line, breaks that little 1/4" stud, or heaven forbid shears your mast off (oops), plus its near impossible to bring back in. With the furler you get up to speed as fast as you can with the main and jib, once your up to speed you unfurl the spinnaker (it's your turbo booster). When ready to jibe or switch to upwind I have to furl it while at speed switch tacks then unfurl to the other side once I'm settled and to speed on the other tack. It only takes a second or two to furl in or out, usually once its out, I furl the jib in because it shadows the spinnaker (very seldom can you run both at the same time). Once you add all this stuff the boat becomes a complex boat similar to the windrider 17 or the Weta with about the same sail area. This is way way beyond where 99% of the TI owners want to go (most prefer simple and easy/fast to rig). Also keep in mind where I mostly sail (off shore in the keys where the distances are great). Now comes the most important point, your upwind performance needs to match your downwind performance or you can have a blast doing a huge downwind run (like us chasing the Marquisa down outrunning her south of key west, then turn around 4 miles south of key west unable to get back up wind (pretty stupid move), that's why the wing sail was added so I can sail up to 2x upwind in low winds (true story). My latest spinnaker cut is similar to a code zero (furling), but has a soft wing on the leading edge so I can use it like you would a Genoa, but when relaxed it still acts like a G2 downwind (not the best design, I plan to re-design someday if I ever get the ambition, 'probably not', moving forward I only plan to use only wing sails).
Actually once I added the wing jib, it's became awkward to use the spinnaker ( I have to furl and drop the wing), with just the main and wing jib my downwind performance is more than acceptable (to me anyway (at times up to 2x windspeed in low winds) so I hardly ever take the spinnaker along anymore except when we are in Key West (nice trade winds), I'll sometimes use it just for the fun and raw thrill of it (there is nothing more fun and exciting in sailing than a giant spinnaker). (FYI Wings are very boring and predictable LOL)
I'm not recommending anyone do what I have done (way too much risk unless you really know your stuff), if you want to go fast get an H16.....or a Weta, or wait for Hobies Super TI, which I hope they are working on......with Mirage drives it's would be awesome and unequaled by anything out there or on anyone's drawing boards (if they don't do it soon somebody else will, and play on Hobies TI's huge following).
Just my opinions obviously....
Bob

OK, Bob. You win!

Seriously, though. You do need to know the "fuse" when you do modifications on boats. The "fuse" is "what is going to break first". I do like your description of upwind vs. downwind performance. I completely agree that the boat should not spend more than 2/3 of the time on the water going to weather. Even that is a little excessive. And there is the fun factor. I enjoy making the boat better for me; but I do not enjoy taking more time after each sail to fix things than I spent on the water to break them. YMMV.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
... I also tried several snuffer designs, none worked worth a crap. ...
Bob

I've had some pretty good success in making snuffers. If you want to give it a try again, the following is the process to follow...

First decide how big an opening you need. You do this my scrunching up the sail into a ball; the ball diameter will be the biggest hole you will need. After you do that, go to the dollar store and find a plastic or rubbermaid waste basket that has the approximate same size hole. Buy it. Take it home and cut off the bottom. Just to be sure, see if you can stuff the sail through it.

You an actually use a rubbermaid waste basket for a little while without any other modifications (other than figuring out how to secure it to the boat). You will need to stitch some additional cloth to the back in a tube...the length of the tube plus the waste basket body need only be about 1/3 the luff length. Eventually, though, the rubbermaid will crack.

After I found out that the rubbermaid breaks, I reinforce the waste basket with fiberglass. Just one layer inside and out is needed. At first, I spent a lot of time making it smooth and then painting, but the last couple I've covered it with cloth to make it smooth.

To smoothly snuff, you will need to modify the spinnaker a little. If you have an asymmetric you will need one or two attachments depending on how long you made the tube. If you are snuffing something pretty stiff like a jib, then there are other considerations. In any event, sew reinforcements and attach the snuffer line so that all three corners will be at the entrance to the snuffer when the sail is snuffed completely. A symmetric spin needs three attachments, but the principle is the same (you can see them clearly in the movie "Getaway Babe goes to Glenn Cove"

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Y'all might want to check this out.

http://youtu.be/UXBPvDO5IOI

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that link Nohuhu. I really enjoyed watching Jim's video. 8)
That new reacher looks like a winner and the new hull is certainly drier.
Good to see him sailing hiking out and with the drive pulled.
I can't help but think how much more comfortable he would have been sitting on Haka. Beats me why Hobie haven't offered it as an accessory yet? :?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, that is an excellent video of Jim's unofficial Everglades Challenge. I missed Jim out on the tramps, but I know he said he had pulled the MirageDrive & put the plug in. I did ask Jim, when we had dinner with him (see picture at end of video or below here), if he was out on the tramps when using the reacher sail. He said, "No." He pointed out, and you can see it in the video, that the reacher sail lifts the bow and leeward ama up. No need to get out on tramps or hakas.

Our picture having dinner with Jim down in Key Largo.

While Hobie/Matt Miller have offered various excuses for not coming out with a Hobie Haka, I suspect the real reason is they make a lot of money off the tramps. No sense offering internal competition--at least, not until there is external competition.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No biggie, Stringy. Someday they will "evolve". :lol:

That reacher looks like it provides decent lift, but I would still keep my weight back and out. Specially in the waves. Specially on an older AI.

I usually only sit while gibing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9