Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom
If nothing else it would make a nice test sail. But who knows, maybe the size and shape ends up ideal. Don't know of anyone that's tried it. The sail I'm having built is 21 sq ft. Would be great to have you set up the rigging, use your sail and then we compare results. That would be one less test sail for me to create and test and puts us closer to the ideal sail for the AI. You did say you had an AI, correct?

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Tpdavis473:
Yes a radial cut design would have been much better but nobody usually shares any design specifics. Hey if you PM me some of the design specifics I can design and build one, in return I'll send you the design specs on the parafoil leading edge wing mod. The leading edge wing mod just goes along for the ride and does nothing at all when running down wind. It only engages and puffs up into a wing foil when trying to use the spinnaker on a reach (most people take their g2 spins down at that point and put up code zeros or big genoa's at that point. I was simply trying to get a little better side wind performance without increasing the heeling moment too much (wings have less heeling moment). I think I had the right idea but wrong basic spin design to start with. Unfortunately code zeros or big genoas don't work well with the TI (way too much heeling moment and weather helm due to the itty bitty rudder on the TI and the very flexible mast) so I was trying to cheat the design limitation just a little. The other dilemma I have is with my wing jib and main in low winds (under 10 mph) and my hybrid setup I already run downwind at 2x plus wind speed so if I unfurl the spinnaker it acts like a break (that's why I don't use it much anymore). My TI is specifically rigged for the typical low winds we have typically, works great upwind, and downwind but really sucks on a reach. I suspect I've reached the limitations of the basic boat design. I suspect you will have way better luck with your getaway (way better mast/sail setup and cat hulls)
Hey it's fun for me just playing around with the stuff. I have no goals or expectations, just havin fun.
Bob

Be happy to share the design. Do you sheet/tack to the akas or the bow with your spinnaker? The process is slightly different for an asymmetric. If you sheet and tack off the akas, do you use two lines at the clews (one for the guy when you are on that gybe, the other for the sheet when you aren't).

Basically, though, the design process starts with deciding overall luff length and foot length and midgirth. Those dimensions are determined by how high the mast (or halyard exit is) and how long/wide the boat is and how full you want the spinnaker to be (A full spin works best running, a less full spin reaches better-one that does both well will have a midgirth about 80-85% of the foot). Then you decide how long to make the gores (the misshapen triangles that form the radial head). Typically, it is half the desired luff length. Next step is to determine how many gores you need. With 5 ft (153 cm) fabric, the maximum width of the gore can be 90 cm because you will cut two of them from each length of fabric by turning one upside down. SO, if you chose the midgirth length of the gore, divide the desired midgirth length by 90 and round to the next even whole number (sailmakers typically use metric measurements because they are much easier to use). Once you have that even whole number, divide that into the actual measurement you want the midgirth to be and that number will be the "base width" of each gore. The smaller the number, the more waste cloth.

Gore design is now possible, On the floor place two parallel strings. Each string will be located half the "base width" from each edge of the cloth that you will be laying on the floor. On the string mark the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 places. OK, here's the real design stuff for the gores. The width of the triangles must be expanded at the 1/4 spots to 34% of the base width. The 1/2 spot is to be 65% of the base width. The 3/4 spot is to be 87% of the base width. Connect the spots you just marked with string on the floor so you can see the two misshapen triangles. Lay the fabric over the string and cut along the strings. Once cut out, sew all the gores together (leave a seam width at the top). Note that this radial head shape will be a smooth curve...it would be better to flatten it at the leach if it is to be an asymmetric or to flatten it in the middle if it is to be a symmetric because that overall shape will fly better with less turbulence. You can achieve that by making one gore with straight sides for the assymetric and by making the middle two gores for the symmetric similarly with straight sides.

Anyway, this isn't clear, I know. But you can see the process here (but it was a mainsail I was making) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQwhRKERclU

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
No it's a 100% bob thing. I still use that old spinnaker once in a while (mostly only down in key west where we have steady trade winds. The down side to that particular spinnaker design is its only useful downwind only, I thought adding a para foil type wing to the leading edge to prevent the sail from collapsing when trying to sail 90 degrees or less to the wind would help (didn't help much). It was just a bandaid, I need to make new spinnaker one of these days with a better more modern design.

Bob

The reason it wouldn't fly off the wind very well is because the luff length is longer than the straight line distance from head to clew. You could fix that by making a broadseam along the luffs. The amount is easy to figure out with a little help, hold the head and clew and pull. then have someone gather the middle of the luff until it takes some of the tension, mark those spots and sew the broadseam to connect them (I leave the extra fabric there instead of cutting it away, just in case). While you want shoulders on a spinnaker, you also want the sail to have a leading edge that "looks" in the apparent wind direction. You achieve that by making the leading edge about the same length of fabric as the straight line distance.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vetgam,
No, AI, I have a '15 TI on order that should be delivered sometime in February according to my dealer. Principles should be the same though with just slight differences in size maybe? That's why I was shooting for about 25-30 sq. ft.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your right then. Sail size sounds about right. Racking my brain to figure out a way attach the sail to your mast/mainsail. If I can't come up with a simple way you may still need a sailmaker to do what I did.

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 :
Here is a pic of my spinnaker (before adding the wing crap). This pic was taken sometime in late 2010 or early 2011( I'm pretty sure the boat in the pic was my second TI (I'm on my 3rd TI now)).
The sail is a 135 sq ft asymmetric spinnaker (G2 I think its called). it roto furls and looks like the jib (right next to it) when all furled up. I have pulleys on the outer end of the rear AKA's attached to continuous line that goes from the clew through both pulleys, then around the front of the sail and attaches to the same point as the other end.

When going from one tack to the other you can either pull the sail over the front, or it's actually easier to just furl it up then re-deploy to the other tack (it only takes a second or two to furl so it's very fast). I only ever found the sail to be useful downwind only, it never was very good once you get to 90 deg off the wind (probably because of the cut).
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, now I see it. I think you can still make this a little better for reaching with a few simple mods. First, it does not appear to be asymmetric...both the luff and the leach appear to be the same length. If you cut the cloth off from the tack on a straight line to the leach (it could have a little foot round if you want) going up to the first panel from the bottom (or higher) so that when you sheet it, the sheet points about 1/3 to 1/2 down from the head. What this will do is allow you to pull the spin clew so that the wind pressure keeps the sailshape like you do with your jib. In this picture, the luff does appear to be short enough, so maybe you don't need the broadseam I referred to earlier...but if the luff isn't the same length as the straight distance between head and clew, the broadseam will help a lot. The sail appears to have quite a lot of camber in the top 1/3...I dunno how to fix that other than to trim fabric out of the middle and that is more trouble than it will be worth.

One thing that is important with asymmetric spins...when running deep, the halyard needs to be looser than when you are reaching. The loose halyard allows the spin to rotate to windward (honest, it does that) so that the spinnaker is not in the shadow of the mainsail. The tight halyard and tight sheet "snaps" the spinnaker into a shape that is like a very full genoa.

Since I'm lazy, I typically make an asymmetric spin gores the same length that I want the leach to be (the final gore being straight sided). That way all I have to do is add a triangle of fabric that attaches to one of the corners of the gore assembly and extends the luff to the desired dimension. The width of the sail is determined by the sheeting point on the boat.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vetgam,
There is a loop about 3/4 the way up the mast. I believe this was designed for a future jib that Hobie never developed, but they left the attachment point. I was thinking of attaching a block there, one at the base of the mast and then a cheek block at the bow. I would then run a line from a shackle at the bow, up to the block on the mast, down to the block at the base of the mast, back out to the cheek block at the bow and then back to a cleat on the port aka brace. Similar to this set up
[url]Hobie Adventure Island - New Jib: http://youtu.be/EcGyNJQE61w[/url]

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you saying there is a fabric loop in the mainsail 3/4 up the mast in the TI? Its not there in my AI. Do you know it will be there in the 2015 TI? Did I miss this? Anyone else have these loops on a TI or AI? Your set if you have one.

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know if it will still be present on the 2015's, since we don't have any actual pictures of a fully assembled 2015 TI, but I know it's there on previous models. I sure hope is still there.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking at this video it doesn't look like the loop is there on the 2015 AI
Hobie Cat's Mirage Adventure Island gets more pow…: http://youtu.be/OkQNiAp3NwU

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After reviewing a bunch of pictures it appears your right, there is a ready halyard loop on past tandums but not the Ai's. I have a plan for creating a potentially simple, cheap removable halyard on the AI that would sit about 2/3 the way up the mast. No permanent mod necessary. I'll work on it today.

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
... You bring an interesting thought to my head about your inflated jib design. I "could" go back and add kevlar kite string to my nylon jib. Kinda make my own 3DL sails. Trouble would be in "fixing" the kevlar to the nylon since few glues will work with either nylon or kevlar. But I might give it a try; thanks for the idea.

I did give it a try. I tried to pattern the kevlar on what the twaron looks like in a 3DL sail. I added line along the luff, leach and foot and two lines from the head down to the clew and tack in a bit of a curve through the middle of the sail plus one line from tack to foot again with a curve to it. I didn't use any glues at all. I just sewed the kevlar to the nylon--I sewed it so the kevlar and nylon can move independently to keep it from bunching. The sail isn't stiffer so it will still snuff easiliy; but it should hold its shape better and in a little higher wind range. Thanks for the idea Bob.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Greg,
I was looking at the updated pics on the Hobie site and it looks like they took the loop away on the TI's.

Matt,
Can you confirm that there will no longer be a loop on the mast about 3/4 the way up? It was there on previous models.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is not there on my 2012 TI

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next