Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If it's in tight quarters - around reefs and such - I will bear off, gain speed, and pedal through the tack.

Otherwise...and maybe it's just my windsurfing background, but...I'd rather power through a jibe at max speed than sputter through a tack. I haven't sailed a 16 in a while but I recall on the ocean they commonly went into irons on a tack; we'd work the rudder and countersheet the jib to force it around, but yeah, multihulls aren't known for efficienct tacking on the ocean.

As for the "not a true sailing vessel/power boat/whatever" - all things to all people. For me, it's just a fun little boat. I'll do little mods (hakas, railblazas, sprayskirts) that make it more enjoyable for my purposes, and I think that is what most folks here feel - Bob in particular. He mods his boat for his conditions - normally light wind on relatively calm water. For me it's a rare day when the winds are that light, so I don't mess with the sail setup. But I get it. That other guy, with the re-engineered stern and dual outboards...there's always merit in someone finding what the limits of design/redesign is, even if it ain't my jam...I can learn something from his experiences.

Aloha
RH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Andy, Lot's of shallow waters in WA. Just been sailing at Busselton and in the Swan River. Just do a few peddles of the Mirage Drive when you start to slow down or just go right around the other way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes sure skipperholland its shallow in the swan in places but we sail mainly in the canning which is worse. Anyway thanks to all the input on this forum we will be trying the pedal drives for tacking or maybe a foresail. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My new phrase at work is "sometimes you just have to pedal through the tack". No one has the slightest clue what I'm talking about, but I think it might catch on.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totch:
That's hilarious I say the same kind of stuff and people just don't get it. I probably think way to much about sailing when I'm supposed to be working.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought I was the only person who sailed the Canning River Andy, it's one of my favourite spots to launch at fifth Ave, Rossmoyne. What out for those old wooden poles sticking up around Shelley especially at high tide, they could be real hobie destroyers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail in the Swan quite a bit. I've not Givrn the canning a go yet. Where's the nearest ramp to Shelley?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Colinm, The only ramp in the Canning is at Deep Water Point. I park along the river at Fifth ave, Rossmoyne ,take my TI off the roof and wheel it to the beach which is very close to the road. It's a great spot to sail if there are strong winds. Watch out for speed boats around Mt Pleasant and stick to the markers up river from Shelley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi colinm, I forgot there is another ramp the otherside of Deep Water Point which you get to from Manning over a one lane bridge over the freeway. It's suitable for small trailers like ours