Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made a couple of adapters for my large drink holders to mount my bluetooth speaker or Gopro camera.
They are made out of 3" pvc pipe with a strip of 1/8" EVA foam glued on with contact cement. It makes a snug fit in the drink holder. Glued into the top is a 3" pvc floor drain insert. It provides a grid through which you could screw just about any surface mounting Ram, Railblaza or Scotty mount. My Ecoxgear speaker has a built in 1/4"-20 camera thread so I made a long screw out of 1/4"-20 allthread with a knob on one end and a stop nut and fender washer on the other and it just screws into the speaker through the grid from the inside of the adapter. The shorter adapter can just use a 3" ,1/4"-20 eye bolt to attach any camera mount and the eye is used as the handle to tighten it.
The adapters have a 1/4"-20 eye bolt to clip a carabiner onto for a leash. I have a nearby screw in padeye because I removed the one for the manual scupper drain handle and replaced it with a padeye.
The tall adapter for the speaker is for the front seat and needed to clear the dagger board control. It may be too tall and get in the way of the sheets but I haven't had a chance to try it on the water yet.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I really like this idea - thanks for posting it.
Clean and neat and lightweight. Plus - NO HOLES
Gonna try this for my own speaker install.

~BoP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some additional details:
I masked off the pvc with painters tape and sprayed the surface for the eva foam with contact cement and also sprayed the foam. I then resprayed the eva foam because it is porous then let both dry for a short time.
With contact cement you only get one chance to stick things together correctly so I set the pvc on a piece of dry cardboard and slid the foam up to it using the cardboard to keep it level. I then used painters tape around the outside to clamp the foam. It doesn't take a very wide strip of foam for a snug fit. Mine are about 2 1/2" wide. Any wider may make it too difficult to insert or remove the adapter. Tom Kirkman has elsewhere suggested using the loop side of velcro for this same purpose.

I sanded all of the edges on the ends of the pvc pipe.

The floor drain isn't glued in the short adapter. The 1/4" eye bolt goes through both the pipe and floor drain and I added a countersunk machine screw on the other side. Gluing probably makes more sense. I started out intending to use some disks cut out of UHMW plastic and flush mount them in the pipe using tapped holes and machine screws. Then I found the floor drains and they seemed perfect for what I wanted to do.

1/4"-20 is a common thread size for woodworking jig hardware and a wide variety of knobs with threaded inserts or threaded studs are available from places like Woodcraft or Highland Woodworking. I used a knob with a threaded insert and cut a piece of allthread long enough to reach through the long adapter to the camera mount on the speaker. It would be nice if this piece had a circlip or something to
hold it captive on the floor drain so it can't get lost.

Hope this is useful

Chris