Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adventure Island spray
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently picked up a beautiful barely used 2013 AI and have taken it out 3 times now on our local lake.

It's no joke that's its a wet ride under sail power. Good thing the water is 80 degrees right now.

There are a million versions of spray skirts for the bow and many Youtube videos out there to boot.
My question is this....

Do they really have a very big impact on the amount of spray that actually reaches the pilot, or is it just a slight drier ride?

I am looking to make a set regardless, but would love to hear your experience with before and after installing a set.

Post subject: Adventure Island spray
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently picked up a beautiful barely used 2013 AI and have taken it out 3 times now on our local lake.

It's no joke that's its a wet ride under sail power. Good thing the water is 80 degrees right now.

There are a million versions of spray skirts for the bow and many Youtube videos out there to boot.
My question is this....

Do they really have a very big impact on the amount of spray that actually reaches the pilot, or is it just a slight drier ride?

I am looking to make a set regardless, but would love to hear your experience with before and after installing a set.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These sailing kayaks are wet rides. Spray skirts may help somewhat, but these are not cruising boats. They are wet and always will be wet. Nature of the beast. Dress appropriately for the water temperature. That's about all you can do, or switch to a boat type that is designed from the ground up to provide a dryer ride.

But also be prepared to have less fun...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spray skirts can't stop all the spray, but definitely hugely reduce the volume! The knuckle on the aka can send spray over your head (seriously!) in some conditions/speeds, and skirts, whether full length like kayakingbob's, or like the "exhibition" shorter skirts as developed by chekika, really cut back this "facewash" deluge. Without skirts, I have seen spray reach three feet up my TI sail!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry for the double post. I was not aware of that my post had to be approved first, so I backed up and hit send again. Hopefully mods can merge the two if necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry for the double post. I was not aware of that my post had to be approved first, so I backed up and hit send again. Hopefully mods can merge the two if necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made spray skirts from door screen material (the plastic coated stuff for pets), then put together with a hot gle gun. They keep me pretty dry, and I no longer get the monsoon of water at me unless I crash thru a big boat wake head on. Anymore I try to hit all wave sideways (keeps me drier).
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will still be wet by the the end of the day but yes, the impact is significant. It tend to stop the water splashing your face. Well worth the expense.

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spray skirts are very effective at cutting down the big splashes. They are easily made using shade material suggested by KayakingBob. My “expedition spray skirts” are discussed on http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=285 The post is titled “DIY Expedition Spray Skirts.” Most splashes do not get past your knees with spray skirts.

I've made a couple videos of my "miniskirts." One is here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=300 Scroll down until you come to the title: Video of Expedition Spray Skirts—A Test and the Anatomy of an Aka Splash

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon