Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone rigged their Tandem Island with a Back Seat "Roll Bar" that moves the main sail lines higher than normal so that the person in the rear seat is constantly not getting whacked in the head when tacking? And, if so, has anyone documented what they did so we can copy? Thanks in advance for all replies. Dom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I built one last year out of PVC mostly using a design I saw on another post. It works great for keeping the rear occupant from getting whacked in the head. the only issue is there is some bending under heavy wind but so far it has held up. Since it is finally starting to warm up here in MD I will probably work to refine the design some.

i will try to post a picture when I get home from work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be cautious about that, I did it on mine a while back and it pretty much ruined the sails form and power capability of the sail (operating from the wrong angle). You might be better served running the sail control pulley a foot further back. The line comes out at close enough to the same angle but much more headroom.
Just wrap a couple loops of spectra rudder line around the rudder gudgeon and tie the pulley there instead.
It also gives you more storage room on the rear deck.
The only downside being the sail control ropes no longer brush over the steel plate on the rear deck. Allowing for the pulley to operate an extra 3 inches above the surface of the deck (by making the spectra lines longer then twisting them together like you would making twine) helps keep the sail control lines from cutting into the deck.
I did that for a while when my wife was going out with me alot, she hated that rope at neck level while sitting in the back. Lol she now works saturdays and doesn't go out much anymore so put the control line back to it's normal position.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Come to think of it, if you build the roll bar and if running the sail control line over the top of it causes your sail not to work correctly (btw that doesn't bother some folks, they prefer the head room over performance). You can always do a comprimise and run the sail control line under the bar suspended by a bungy. The only problem with that is the sail line only clears your neck when the sail is not actively being used, that's also just fine with some people.
Hope this helps.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is the best picture I can find so far, everything is taken apart now for the winter. It definitely effects the sail but I have had it up to 9.5mph using the roll bar so don't think it is too bad. The most important thing was stopping the sheet from hitting my girlfriend, saves me a lot of grief, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is WaterTriber Hollywood's setup

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That or one very similar is what I based mine on. I have the same support at the bottom but I used curved electrical tubing at the top to make it rounder.