Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am interested in getting a small electric food cooler for my TI. The ones I have seen are too big and probably not the slightest shielded against water and salt. I could do with a 2 liter cooler. That's enough for a liter of milk, some butter and some cheese, egg and/or ham.

It might have an internal battery.

Has anyone of you ever heard about such a little electric cooler?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might be able to rig up one of those 12 volt car coolers to a battery.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I looked around at Ali Express and found a soft case 4L cooler from Mekago which costs about 66 dollars. A bit too big and not very cold when it is really warm outside.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Portable ... 17720.html

The same could be said about this hard case 4L Mekago cooler:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-12V ... 60789.html

You can also buy a more high technology medical cooler from Dison for 450-500 dollars, including two big lithium batteries. It is only 1,5 liters which certainly might seem too little!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pharmace ... 53548.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mate

I'd suggest something much simpler and better design without some cheap crap Chinese electric compressor/cooler. These Australian eskies (aka ice box/cooler) are designed to sit in full Australian sun and keep things cool for 5-7 days at a time with a single load of ice.

http://www.techniice.com/
http://www.techniice.com/about-us.html

Our blood bank service uses them amongst many others.

Cya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

And where do I buy ice?

i might buy a 12 volt micro-compressor and put the cold part inside any suitable small isolated box or pocket. If I freeze a liter of milk or water it will hold the other content of the box/pocket cold for many hours, so I will probably only have to use the compressor an hour or two once a day. Driven by the sun, hopefully.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

you should spend some time looking at how you will power a small fridge. They use a LOT of power..

I dont know about really small ones but something like this http://www.amazon.com/43-Portable-Compa ... B0012EGZ9S is what is commonly used on a sailboat (if you have to have a fridge) and this type with the compressor is supposed to be the most efficient. But these still use between 35 to 50 amp*hours at 12 volts per day. It usually takes at least a 100 watt solar panel with good sun to keep this running and it also takes a lot of battery capacity maybe on the order of 200 amp*hour and an alternate charging source in case of some days with poor solar.

I dont know what is out there that scales down for use on a TI.. but I think if you pick something out, make sure you figure out how your going to power it - and I think you will likely find the compromises you have to make to keep that thing powered are just not worth it.

I am also of the opinion that you should figure out how to use ice and if you cant get ice, figure out how to get by with out the need for the cold storage.

edit.. I looked at the links posted earlier. The two cheap ice coolers dont even list the current they use. The more expensive cooler say is uses 4 amps. The lithium battery that comes with it is 16000 mAH or 16 amp*hour. So that lithium battery will run that cooler for about 4 hours, then its depleted. I would assume the very cheap coolers use on the same order of current.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I might go for a Isotherm TB15, which as far as I know is the smallest wearable refrigerator+freezer. Its size is 360 x 235 x 565 mm, it weighs 8,2 kg and it costs 350-450 dollars. If I find it too big I might cut it down. With the help of a saw I can most probably transform the TB15 to a TB3 (three liters instead of fifteen)...

I would only start the box occasionally to freeze the long lasting milk I am using while on the TI. I might have other edibles in a soft cooler bag inside the freezer. To get them a more constant refrigerator temperature.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For 350$ you can buy a Yeti Roadie cooler or Yeti Hopper soft sided cooler and not worry about batteries, connections or water exposure. I have used both on my TI and they work very well if you follow the directions about pre cooling them. All of their coolers have very good tie down points. The 30L Hopper fits nicely on the TI rear deck. The Roadie has to be lashed to a Haka.
I freeze 16 oz water bottles for cooling and add crushed ice to fill the empty space.
It's helpful to cover the cooler to keep it out of direct sun.

Can you buy irradiated milk where you live that doesn't have to be refrigerated ?
You can take eggs out of the shell and freeze them. A vacuum sealer is very good for this as well as other foods rather than containers with a lot of empty space inside.

Chris