Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Railblaza meets RAM
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, when I acquired my 2014 AI from a friend last year it came with a set of Railblaza mounts on the aka's. At the time I didn't have any Railblaza products to use on these, so I removed them and put them on the shelf.

Fast forward nearly a year and I finally put things together but with a twist. I have been using RAM products nearly exclusively since I went with a Hobie. I really like the adjustability that RAM offers so I have a lot of it.

I took one of the Railblazas apart recently and noticed that the two bolt holes look oddly familiar in gap. I reached for a 1.5" RAM ball with a 2.5" base and held it over the Railblaza. Damn if I didn't know any better I'd say I eyeballed that pretty good. Perfect alignment! The only mod to the RAM base was to drill two of the holes slightly larger up to 1/4" to match the Railblaza bolts.

After dinking around with it a bit, I came to the conclusion it needed better bolts as the 1/4-28 x 2.5" Phillips head bolts were tough to get tight without jinxing the head up. This led me to 1/4-20 x 3" Cap head bolts along with a set of washers and Nylocs. All stainless of course. With that, it is always good to smear a dab of anti-seize compound anytime you are putting together stainless nut/bolt combos to avoid galling that can happen with stainless to stainless hardware.

Anywho, back to the project.
I got things fitted up and put a wrap of grip tape down where I wanted the Railblaza/RAM combo to locate on the aka. Bolted everything down good and snug, mounted up a rod holder and pulled and tugged on it to see if there was anything I missed.

Nope! All is good, now to do the other side.

Post subject: Re: Railblaza meets RAM
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow that saved some money on new hardware.
What did you use for grip tape under the mount, is it something that comes with them ?

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be careful with RAM friction tightening on devices where a fish (or snag!) could put unexpected sideways pressure on the joint. It is for this reason that I instead fitted a Railblaza rod holder, which by its design, cannot slip.

Last edited by tonystott on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Buckaroo wrote:
Wow that saved some money on new hardware.
What did you use for grip tape under the mount, is it something that comes with them ?

Chris

ACE hardware had some 2" wide 3M stick on grip tape that I would venture to guess is somewhere between 40 and 25 grit.
It is very similar to the grip tape that came with the Railblaza in the first place.