Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Experimenting with a few projects for my TI :

A roll bar to get the sheet off of the rear seat passenger. Similar to what has been done before with 1 1/4" pvc. Mine is coated with Rustoleum rubberized waterproof coating. The coating was applied a little thicker on the pieces that insert into the fishing pole sockets and provides a snug fit. There is also a concentric piece of 2" and a sawed off piece of a 1 1/4" Tee inside it that is slipped over the lower Tee to provide a larger bearing surface on the gunwale around the fishing pole socket. Those pieces had to be sanded as needed to fit inside each other.

Next, a foam pad glued on the bottom of a deep gear bucket so that the bucket rests on the hull and cant fall through the hatch. The bucket has holes drilled in the sides at the bottom so that water can drain out. As long as there is less water in the hull than the thickness of the foam things stay fairly dry. The foam is about 1 1/8" thick if I remember correctly. No need to cut out the oval as I did, my first one is perfectly round and I meant to do the same with this one.

Next, a mirage drive socket adapter that allows the stake of a Sportbrella umbrella to be inserted to provide some shade over the tramps while stationary.
This is the smaller of the two Sportbrellas. The sheet goes over the top and can be used to snug it in place from the top and there are multiple grommets on the sportbrella to secure it to other places like around the amas. The adapter is just a piece of 1/2" round mild steel welded to a section of scrap tubing that the Sportbrella stake fit loosely in. The Sportbrella is not particularly high quality so it is probably important to tie it down from several points.

A simple tiller stick from part of a crutch, a cane tip, a chair tip and a Night Ize carabiner that has a cam cleat. Works like a snake snare but at 40" long perhaps a little short for rattlers.

And a video of the roll bar and tiller stick in use for the first time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127773959 ... hotostream

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put a parasol in the mast foot/hole. I have a sun chair/camping bed fastened in the front seat, facing backwards. Sometimes I fasten the parasol in the sun chair, depending on where the sun is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good job on the additions/mods. One of the best parts of these boats is they are very easy to modify and probably won't end up killing us.

Anyway, i made a similar rollbar last year. This year I added another crossbar to it as it bends quite a bit when we are sailing over 5mph or so. In my opinion a rollbar is a must to get the line off of the person in back. I know my girlfriend would have killed me by now if I had left it as it is designed to be.

Only pic I have is before i painted the additional parts.

I also really like the sun shade. That is definitely something I have been working on as we also like to anchor and lounge on the tramps. I have added reclining seat backs to each tramp which make it akin to a chaise lounge. I tried attaching adjustable sport umbrellas but they tend to blow around too much even when not up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife was the driving force behind my roll bar. I went with a flat top because I envisioned possibly hanging my bluetooth speaker or something else underneath.

I like the seat backs on your tramps. I have been using spineboard Hakas exclusively since purchasing my boat but have recently warmed up to the idea of using them in combination with tramps. I'm building a pvc hook to mount the front of a spineboard over the loop end of the tramps. My goal is to get the spineboard out near the ama and still have at least half a tramp on the inboard side. Best of both worlds, I think. I'll post in the Haka thread when I have the prototype completed.

Having some shade is really nice if you like taking a break out of the sun for a while.

thanks for posting

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
All very Nice , what are you using for your haka? The red stretcher looking things, ?
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are US made trauma spine boards ( Iron Duck Co. ) as would be found on a fire truck or ambulance. They work great but are heavy and although they have a high weight carrying capacity for a person lying on their back they don't do as well for a heavy person sitting in the center when suspended between the akas. They tend to bow but quickly return to shape. I still really like them and have begun using them in combination with tramps. With tramps you have to come up with a means to secure the end where the tramps loop over the aka. I will be posting some pics in the Haka thread of something I am trying for this later this week.
The spineboards are great to bungee things to if you get ones with pin slots. They are also very easy to rig a traditional clip in kayak seat to. There are more pics of mine if you search my posts.

Chris