Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI gets a good start.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Back in the days when I rolled with the 2.3 honda.

https://youtu.be/bu9C1rMudMQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video (once I muted the noise). How much water do you get in the hull, with the rear hatch permanently flooded like that?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can see you got tired of the 2-3mph crap just like I did. I really don't think people realize just how huge the ocean really is. And how many miles you have to travel to get out of nothingness and just bare bottom. Yea some say the fun is getting there, man vs sea and all that rot, if it takes you 5-6 hrs just to get where you want to go, a lot can happen in that time, conditions change, my feeling is even if I don't need the motor, it's there to get me home if conditions change. I've been way out off Key West before where the winds shifted to offshore winds and my stock TI couldn't sail fast enough to get back, turning into a 12 hr nightmare, tryin to get back.
Yea electric and battery is nice and someday will be a nice solution, but not likely for another 10-15 yrs maybe. If I'm 5 miles out in the gulfstream and the wind shifts to offshore and 15-20 mph, (or like around here dies completely) you will waste the battery in about 20 minutes, then what do you do. That turns into 12 hrs of extreme peddling, most of us are not up for that (just sayin).
I always have a couple hundred miles worth of fuel aboard (and two to three days of water), and if I have to get out of dodge because of changing weather I can always get home. If I'm sailing on a 5 acre lake, probably don't need the motor, if I'm offshore, screw that man vs sea stuff, I'll never be a good sailer I guess.
I've also been caught out after dark (Couldn't get back (wind died, or shifted), I now carry two sets of lights just in case.
Even if I never need the stuff, I know it's there.
FE