Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A.I. jib?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone out there tried to put a jib on their A.I.? Might want to go with some running sidestays or at least use the halyard for a backstay. Might also screw up the helm trim by putting more sail area forward, but it would be interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey mtn,
A hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum. If you can mount a jib on a Hobie Sport, I'm sure you could do the same on a A.I. Check out some of punchinello's posts over on the KFS Forum.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 9491050491

He always hates it when I post a pic of his early efforts with the Sport, but I love his technical expertise at being the first to really push and perfect sailing the Hobie Mirage Drive yaks. He has now moved up to the A.I., so I expect to see some new advances there also when sailing conditions improve sufficiently in the frozen Northlands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey mtnsailor and Apalach!

Adding a jib to the AI would first involve solving some problems, but not insurmountable ones. First off, the main sail on the AI is roller- furling which means, of course, the mast rotates. Which also means the forestay, or leading edge of a jib, would nead to be attached to the top of a rotating mast. The lower end to the bow.

This problem of rotating mast and jib mod was solved by Eliseo, who lives in Spain and posted on KFS with pix of his mod, not on the AI but the tandem Hobie kayak. He had added a home made roller-furling main and I think he also used a roller furling jib, which would also be desirable for a jib addition to the AI. A discussion of his jib mod was made last fall.

The addition of a jib to my Hobie Sport was quite easy as the mast was fixed. Apalach always shows my first effort in adding sailing mods to the Hobie mirage kayaks. Later I added a larger rudder, larger leeboard, and longer bowsprit to accomodate larger roller-furling jib. Check out my postings on KFS for last Fall.

Since buying and sailing the AI, I've not taken the Sport out even once. I think it feels a bit forsaken wrapped up and stored outside next to my studio. Safely inside my studio, of course, and hanging from the ceiling is my AI, just waiting to get into the water.

I too, am anxiously waiting for the sailing season to begin here in the northern climes of New York.

Except for days with very little wind (less than 10 mph), I don't think a jib on the AI is necessary.

Norman Ernsting aka Punchinello on KFS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Punch (a.k.a. Norman Ernsting),
Good to hear from you once again, and my apologies for posting that old pic (again!). However (perhaps I missed it), but the pic above is still the best one for me at least, in showng all your mods in one place in a beam view. Perhaps you can get your Outback buddy to take and post a more recent, all-inclusive view of what you lads have come up with.

Yea--I figured that roller-furling main might provide some problems in rigging a jib (unless perhaps it used roller-furling as well), but I know that you dedicated tinkerers will probably solve that one as well. I mean, never in my wildest dreams did I believe I would ever see a Sport with a jib and a bow sprit, so there you go!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you will do on (or to) the AI. Smooth sailing up your way!
Best,
Dick