Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

When you get your Hobie parts, the best thing to do is take them over to your local irrigation supply or hardware store where you can find a large variety of PVC parts and try fitting various pieces together. You may have to sand or fill here and there, but you should be able to find all the plastic parts you need.

I've been able to use the mainsheet and wind as an unfurler to keep things simple. You can always add the unfurler later if your local conditions dictate a more positive positioning. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've just discovered that the 3m glue is unavailable to individuals in Italy and that I can't have it sent from the Uk as it's flammable. No luck with Devcon plastic weld either.

Stringy, am I right in thinking you used pvc cement to glue the plastic bits to each other, in conjunction with your bolt and hose clip solution for attaching the mast to the plastic bits?

(Still waiting for my AI to arrive)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No glue at all Simon. The bits are a press fit held together by the bolt and hose clamp on the end of the mast tube.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Latest hold up: apparently Hobie Europe can't ship the spare AI furling drums and rear Akas I asked for as part of my order (I plan to use the cut down akas as mini hiking planks). I've declined to take delivery of my AI until the order is complete (hoping that might speed things up a bit.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any chance anyone would be interested in selling one of these to me? I'd like to sail my AI in Adventure mode.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What are the sea and wind conditions like where you are, and how agile are you?

If the answer to above is reasonably predictable with power boat chop no more than 2 to 3 feet at worst and winds under 15 knots, and you are reasonably agile (I'm 55 so no gymnast), then my experience is that the standard AI sail is just fine. As long as you fit an extension tiller and hiking straps and some kind of makeshift boom lashed to the mast, it's a very, very controllable package, and with the square topped sail it's very forgiving too, much more so than the boomed 35 sq ft bermuda sail with vang that I tried earlier, and a lot faster. Do however seal the mast with plumber's teflon tape at the joint and silicon elsewhere to ensure you don't go upside down if you flip and practice your re-entry technique - I've found raising the sail helps when I've practised (i'm a bit light at around 150 lb)
See my other posts on this forum for how I did it :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

siravingmon wrote:
What are the sea and wind conditions like where you are, and how agile are you?

Well, I just have to say you are way braver than me! :) Honestly I would think just putting the mast into an Adventure without the ama's would tip you over!

I would love to take that route but I need a sail I can stow on the side of the kayak and just use for the a little variety. Most of the time I am kayaking in lakes, rivers, streams, and I would just like to have the sail as an option. For "real" sailing I take the whole Island setup out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

recycle wrote:
Well, I just have to say you are way braver than me! :) Honestly I would think just putting the mast into an Adventure without the ama's would tip you over!.

Each to his own of course, but you'd be amazed how stable this set up is, as long as you have the daggerboard down. In calm water I can sail through narrow channels standing up by the mast to look for underwater obstacles ahead :D Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any chance the original pictures from this thread could be recovered? I want to build one of these and the pictures would be a significant help...

(I looked in the Internet Time Machine but the thread wasn't archived).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailing the AI with the AI main sail and no AMA's obviously works from your description, but I know first hand with my TI it doesn't work (tried it several times).
On the TI the mast is much taller and heavier (way bigger sail equals more weight aloft). Before even trying to unfurl the sail at all if the boat tilts more than about 5-10 degrees the weight of the mast just keeps the motion going and you tip over.
I tried hiking on the gunwale then opening the sail, I didn't get the sail out more than a couple turns and the boat tipped over in really light wind. I thought about maybe making a set of hiking tramps like you see on the Moths so I could move my weight around for balance. Then I came to my senses and just put my AMA's back on, never mentioning it again.

However my roots are kayak sailing my old Oasis and Revo's (kind of miss that). So I ended up making a wing sail for my TI for when I want to go out kayak sailing. The beauty of wing sails is they have almost no heeling moment (the force trying to tip you over), and are almost twice as powerful as a standard sail so you can get more power from a smaller wing. The wing sails when not engaged just freewheel 360 degrees and follow the wind like a weathervane, but there is almost no heeling force so it doesn't tip you over. I'm really suprised more people don't use the wing sails for kayak sailing. Mine cost around a hundred bucks in materials and I built in my garage over two weekends, (it's not rocket science, it's just shaped like a wing like on an airplane instead of a single sheet). There are tons of designs out there you can copy on the internet, I made mine so I can furl it and strap it to the side of the boat when not using it.

The only down side to my first one was I made it a little too tall (18 ft), and I have a similar problem as I did with the main in kayak mode (too much weight aloft), and if I did start to go over I couldn't stop it. If I ever make another it will be about 12 ft tall and square topped (the current design was pointed (no idea why I did that (oops)).

I'm just suprised others aren't trying the same stuff.

Thats all, just thought I would mention it to see if anyone is working on anything similar.
FE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob,
I think the wing sail is a brilliant idea and who wouldn't want more power per area coupled with greater stability? Have you pondered the idea of a wing sail as a mainsail rather than as a jib?
By the way, I am a new TI owner and a wing sail is high on my list of desired mods. I would love any of your recommendations on how to construct a wing sail.
Thanks