Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a SAFE way to attach two islanders togther so that they form a two masted catamaran, i've thought of some ideas of trying to build a platform that would attach where the aamas usually would, but am concerned with the amount of stress that would be applied to the boats and platform joints.

Z

Post subject: you are correct to worry
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If I remember correctly, Matt Miller already chimed in on that idea on the KFS forum. He said the aka are not designed to handle that much potential stress... holding two fully loaded 16' hulls together in ocean swells.

I like the idea too and surely there would be a sound way to make it work with the right framing. Maybe join the existing aka together with aluminum tube bars keeping the hulls at least 3' apart with a trampoline between the two cockpits, PLUS some additional reinforced hardware and HD aka in the fronts and backs of each boat holding the two bows and sterns securely together. That way there would be less leverage for racking stresses between the two long hulls. I have a design in my head but it would take too many words to describe.
I wonder how much trouble it would be to find a way to keep the two rudders working in unison.

Such a confiiguration with a 118 SF sail area would seem like it would be a real sportscar on the water.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been thinking about this as well. It seems like a workable solution could be found. I've been meaning to talk to a mechanical engineering friend of mine about it. I think if you use some sort of cross bracing between the front and rear tubes that connect the AIs together it should work. But like Matt I'm a little worried if the current aka supports would hold up to the stress.

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I too have thought about it. I would think some type of ball mounts at all 4 aka mount points so each hull can move up/down and twist as they want, then two cross ropes or cable to keep them side-by-side and square to each other and a trampoline over it. Kinda like this:

I===I
I.\../.I
I..\/..I
I../\..I
I./..\.I
I===I

If it could be perfected, it would be a blast! 2 mirage drives, 2 sails, wow!

Kayaking Bob