Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This Hobie 17 was professionally refurbished and rebuilt with New Hobie Crossbars, New Mast, New Hobie Jib, New EPO2 Rudders (w/new protective sleeves), New rigging for both the Sport and SE sailing. The two hulls were stripped of gelcoat and then refinished with new Hobie white gelcoat. All of the refinish and assembly was done at the Hobie dealer in Rancho Cordova California, at Morrison Marine/Inland Sailing.

Every part, large and small, that could be replaced was replaced with only four items used from the original 1992 Hobie Sport, the two hulls, that were stripped and new gel coat applied, the Jib crossbar which is not available as a new part, and the boom which is also not available as a new part. The main sail was new three seasons earlier.

The photos listed are of the newly refinished hulls with attached crossbars and a few photos from the maiden voyage as the last newly refurbished Hobie 17 Sport.

This Hobie 17 will be sold with it’s trailer, which has not been completely refinished, but is still in great condition. The trailer has two new sail tubes. One for the main and jib sails, the other is for the rudders, boom, jib crossbar, tillers (three of them, one being a new Hot Stick). There is also a new large cargo box for all the spare parts and sailing gear. The hitch is made for a 1⅞” ball. The trailer holds the hulls in the front with a saddle cup that fits the Hobie 17 hull exactly. In the back each hull rides on a pair of new twin keel rollers that distribute the pressure on the hulls as it’s trailered, as well as also making the loading and unloading process from the water easier.

Since being refinished and up to today, the Hobie has been stored in completely covered storage completely out of weather and sun.

Link to pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hd9p2gyze3cdo0p/NO76NGPpMN

For more information reply to this topic.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not interested in buying the boat. But I would love to know more on how the hulls were refinished as I'm about to do my H17. Did you sand off the factory non-skid? It was a bit hard to see from the pics, but I was hoping you had more.