Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Turner died suddenly last Friday from an asymptomatic pulmonary embolism (blood clot that made its way to his lungs.) He and his wife Debbie did a number of trips with us. They also competed in the last 2 WaterTribe Everglades Challenges. Here they are at the start of the 2014 EC.

Tom was a bright, friendly, neat guy. You could not ask for a better companion on a trip. Our loss saddens me deeply. And, our heart-felt sympathies go to Debbie.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is very sad news Keith.
I felt I knew them just a little, as another couple enjoying their TI through reading your trip logs and EC reports, though of course I'd never met them personally.
My condolences.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very sad to hear Keith. I remember the photos that were posted of your trips. Please pass on our condolences to his wife, and all who knew him, from all of us down this way.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for your comments Stringy & Slaughter. Tom was a great friend and trip companion, & it is hard to understand his passing. He had pulmonary embolism caused by a blood clot in his calf. Another friend, Royd Whedon, had the same problem about 1.5 yrs ago. Tom was only 53 yrs old, Royd about 65. One of the important risk factors is age, especially being over 60. Others include inactivity--not moving your legs, as in long distance plane travel, or driving long distances to a planned camping trip, or even spending long hours on our Islands. We need to remember to exercise our legs regularly during these periods of inactivity. Some are even more prone to blood clots. In Tom's case, he had some minor surgery on his knee which bothered him from time to time. That may have been a contributor, because he was very active.

Whatever the case, it is clear, we need to be aware of DVT and pulmonary embolism. And, of course, we will sorely miss our friend, Tom.

Best wishes to you all.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only good thing that comes out of the passing of a friend is that it makes others more educated and aware about 'yet another' potentially fatal medical condition.

I hope the drive action for us keeps our blood flowing.

Cheers Keith.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My friend Royd, a TI sailor, says, he "hopes" pedaling is enough. For our leisure trips, we seldom sail more than 4-5 hrs at a time, but in the adventure races like the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge, putting in 12-15 hrs and longer are common. The latter is a whole different problem. Royd added, "...I have two close friends here in town who have had it and survived. One, a world class paddler, has had three events. Both of them are on blood thinners. But, three of us are paddlers. Common denominator...."

A well-known US basketball player died last Feb. He had minor knee surgery on Tuesday and died of DVT-pulmonary embolism on Wednesday. He was 52 yrs old.

On the WaterTribe forum, C Wolfe posted, "Pulmonary emboli can be indolent killers and as a hospitalist, they are demons constantly lurking. In previous ECs when I was in my Kruger doing 24- 36 hour stints non stop, concerns for a DVT was real. Now that I am in my kayak with a surf ski type leg drive and a more active lower half, I have less concerns. Just a reminder to keep your legs pumping and get out of the boat frequently to stretch and keep that blood moving."

It is obviously something we need to be aware of.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting info there Keith and Russ.
I had a long SIK background and discovered Hobie kayaks trying to find a solution to numb legs after a few hours paddling.
I'm sure the pedals are a big help as my numb leg problems disappeared in the Hobie.
I've also found that haka help as well. Swapping seats when tacking and changing positions must get the blood flowing better and makes for much more comfortable longer sailing trips.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was hesitant to join this conversation, but my own story might be interesting....

Some years ago, I suffered a foot injury, and the hospital made a "back plane splint" which imobilised my foot and ankle. I duly rested it (eg lay in bed) for 48 hours.

Several days (weeks?) later, I experienced chest pains while sitting at a desk. Initially they went away when I walked around, but after a few days of this, walking around no longer worked.

As my workplace was across the road from a major hospital, I walked into ER and told them I had chest pains. All hell broke loose, and I was soon in bed, receiving oxygen, and wired up to feed an ECG machine. Next thing, this guy turns up, calling out "Where is the guy with DVT?"

I looked around, and was astonished to see him (a Cardiologist) pointed at MY bed! Holy crap!

After a few minutes, they got me to step into a people-mover, for tests at another hospital. The original doctor jumps in too (I'm thinking he has other stuff to do at the other hospital). Then I spot the felt pen writing on the little sack he was bringing.... d e f r i b u l a t or. WTF?????

It suddenly dawned on me that this was serious,. so I asked what was happewning. He told me I was getting a nuclear chest scan at the bigger hospital...

After the scan, I looked at the image on a huge colour monitor, and remarked that it looked really healthy, with all the brilliant colours. The doctor turned round and calmly said "Not really, all the bright red bits are clots in your lungs, takling up 25% of you lung area?"

He then told me about three ways you can die from blood clots:-
* A clot can pass through into your brain
* Your heart can fail due to working too hard with restricted blood flow
* If enough of your lungs is filled with clots, you sort of "drown" as there is not enough lung area to purify your blood.
(PS My own GP later cheered me up no end by telling me that they missed a fourth method of dying.
Called a "saddle", this is where a clot sits at the top of the artery just above the heart, and prevents flow to the heart. In this case you turn purple and drop dead. Saddles are only discovered during the autopsy...)

Anyway (obviously) I survived this drama via extensive use of blood thinners to dissolve the clots.

By sheer coioncidence, other heart issues have since resulted in my permanently using blood thinners, which just means I have to be careful not to cut myself... I am eternally grateful for the Miragedrive on my TI to keep the blood pumping through my body!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! I think you were pretty lucky, Tony.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for everyones storys. I wish I had had the opportunity to meet Tom. I will certainly use my mirage drive more than I have on these long sails. In general, I will now be more aware to avoid long periods of inactivity based on what everone has kindly shared. Thanks again.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It sounds like TED hose should be considered for some of the longer events..