Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Enjoying my Island
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been a Nacra Uni sailor for years, but just got tired of the rigging, unrigging, trailoring, and more scary windy sails than I care to mention. I also am an active Huki surf ski'r, and have always enjoyed paddling and the oneness and serenity of kayaking. This summer I sold the Nacra, and bought an Adventure Island. I still wanted something to sail on, but wanted it simple, easy, able to take the weather, and allow me to just relax on the water. The Hobie is all that! My cat friends used to chase me down just to sail past me, but now that they see how much fun I'm having, and I think there are times when they are jealous (espesially when I de-rig and leave in less than 20 minutes)! Did my simple hard line down wind barber hauler, put real tel-tails on the sail with a wind vane on the nose, and it's a done deal. I hope Hobie eventually creates a larger center dagger board assembly to replace the peddle assy (I bought it to sail only)so it points higher, but for now it's one of the best purchases I've made in a long while. Thank you Hobie!!! (I still love to paddle my surf skis, but once you are a sailor, always a sailor). Also thanks to all you guys posting your ideas and experiences on this site. I'm proud to have joined your ranks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:40 pm 
Hobie Team Member

You can get an extra knot by pulling the drive (be sure to have a safety strap), put it in the tankwell, and insert the plug.

Unlike me, your probably experienced enough so you don't need the pedals to tack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I pull my drive, I just place it across the gunnels above the drive well with the fins under the reefing and sheet lines. I leash the drive before inserting it on shore, and don't normally release it until back on shore.

Kayaking Bob