Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beach Launching
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd like hear from anyone that has experience in launching and returning an AI from ocean beaches. We frequently go the Rocky Point Mexico on the Sea of Cortez and access to water is beach only. Conditions vary from 1' to 4'+ waves on beach. Wind conditions from no wind to very strong.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Your advantage on the AI is that it has the MirageDrive. You can pedal straight into the waves regardless of wind direction. The typical sailboat has to manage the wind direction and seas to maintain forward motion. On the AI or any Mirage kayak... NO PROBLEM!!

If just sailing...

Best if the wind is not straight on shore. Best if side shore. Find the sailing angle of the wind that helps you point closest to head-on into the waves.

Hold the boat pointed into the waves.

Put the rudder down and unfurl the sail.

Allow the bow to turn away from the wind till on a typical sailing angle and hop into the boat.

Sheet in slowly to gain speed while trying to keep the boat pointed at / closer to the waves. Keep up the boat speed and round up as each wave comes... and quickly fall off away from the wind at the waves peak to keep the boat moving and power up for the next.

When in doubt... pedal!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: nice Matt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would just like to add

remember that whatever you do, or whatever you are about to go thru will probably be worse or even larger on the way back in, this is typical on the east coast

I am just pointing out that you should be prepared for the possibility that the surf and size of the waves on the way back in could be larger

I have so many times in my seakayak launched in the morning, to find a angry surf on the way home

just take a look at the whole picture and not just your immediate launch :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Cobra Tourier with a foot pedal rudder and it can be a challenge to control the boat coming back in when the waves are up. The boat lenght is about 1 foot shorter then the AI and 60 lbs lighter. I need a paddle to steer, back paddle and control the boat.

With an AI are you able to use the AI paddle and/or Mirage Drive to control the boat on the way in (steer, back paddle and control the boat) through the swells off the beach until your ready to call the beaching with rudder up? How easy is it to contol the AI with the added weight, lenght, width and rudder design. It seems like I could easily be turned sideways and be at risk to damage to boat.

A appreciate your replies.