Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I remember Mark. It's been many years. I believe he is yeargroup around 1982 or so. Humbolt is a challenging place to fly, cold water, lots of fog, high terrain and rough seas.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quirkster,
Mark retired last year or so and is living in Sitka Alaska.

Back to the original post. I would really like to get together with Loubud to discuss your idea for a Baja adventure.Everything Quirkster says is true and I would be the first to admete I would in no way be ready for a long journey like that. I would be ready for shorter trips to be able to work up to it though.

Roderick

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This has been an excellent discussion. The AI can carry 7-days of fresh water w/o problem (1 gal/day/person in hot weather). One thing that has not been mentioned when discussing landing in surf on an extended camping trip, is that your boat is going to loaded with 150-200 lbs of supplies/gear. Couple that with a 115# boat, and you are probably not going to be able to drag your boat out of any pounding surf. Any one intending to do such a trip should have significant experience before undertaking the real thing.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was thinking of only beaching it were I would have a landing crew waiting with cold beer and Margaritas.Hows that sound. ( I wish)
Your point is very well taken. At this point all I am trying to do now is connect with other local sailors to work up to something longer. At this point I have met anyone else that has an AI in my area. For some reason you NEVER see them cruzing along the coast in San Diego.

Roderick

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What kind of ocean access do you have in San Diego? I've taken all the perfect/easy beach access on Oahu for granted. My parents live on the north carolina coast, and I wanted them to get one, but there is zero easy access to the ocean for the adventure island here. They would have to put it in on the back side of the island and sail thru the inlet to the ocean. The inlet can get a lot rougher depending on tides and wind, so they are a lot less inclined to purchase one.

Almost all public beach accesses have stairs and 100ft+ of beach to cross before getting to the ocean and it's all unprotected. So even if they got it to the surf zone, the swell has got to be less than 2ft or no way to launch without a possible hazard.

They can sail it around in the bay/intercoastal waterway, but I imagine that will get boring after 10 or so runs without a local club to support racing or something.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JollyGreen,
There are lot's of sandy beaches to launch from when the waves are small which is quite alot of the time lately.One thing I have not confermed though , I was told you have to launch with your mast down and them put it up once you out. I am hoping that's not true. There are quite a few harbors to launch out of as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Naw, most of us launch completely assembled.

It is easy enough to put up/take down the mast on the water, but during initial assembly, it's also easy to have the sheet line in the wrong place like under an aka or a rear bungee. It's not so easy to "walk around" to "clear the lines" while underway.

I do lower the mast at times before landing. One landing location is a small beach with trees overhead that just hit the top of the mast and it's easier if there is a shore break, or high tide to just take it down and bungee it to the two aka before coming in.

Also, I get the wheels out of the front hatch and assemble, then hop out in 2 feet of water to pop them under so I can roll up the beach to clear the way for others to land.

Kayaking Bob