Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a new owner of a 09 AI and just finished a week of sailing on the Sea Of Cortez in Rocky Pt. Mexico. I absolutely love the boat and experience; I only wish it had music. I will be adding some survival gear and spare parts for my next trip, it gets lonely out there by yourself. I was launching off the beach and had no problems and the AI worked flawlessly. Given all the rudder pin failure conversation, I had my concern's. I would like to hear back from anyone that has replaced a rudder pin at sea, what's the best way to do it? I installed the barber hauler setup that Xavier posted on the Hobie Sailing forum with a few upgrades; used it on my downwind legs and it worked great. My first day had winds from 20 to 25 with higher gusts; I was ripping and had a great time, a VERY wet ride! The rest of the days had winds in the 15 to 20 and 10 to 15 ranges, it was a great time and I didn’t want to get off the water. Access is from the beach and you can sail to a few destinations within a 10 to 15 mile range. Puerto Penasco or Rocky Point as the locals call it; is 225 miles SSW of Phoenix and about 60 miles across the Mexico border. This is a place that I frequent often, if any other AI owners have an interest coming here let me know. I will advise you where to stay and may meet you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really love to hear this sort of stories from new and current AI owners as It motivates and excites me as I look forward to the spring and my own AI.

Glad you had a great experience. Did you take any pictures? I guess the water temp was not a problem? Being wet continuously cause any Problems? I wil be coming from Sit inside Kayaking so am dry 90% of the time and am wondering about how it will be sailing the AI. the youtube videos show a wet but fun ride. do you use the scuppers under the seat to drain or do you leave them closed? What survival gear are you thinking of adding?
Hope you don't mind my asking lots of questions?? You are near Mesa Az right? My dad lives in Mesa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob,

I believe I met you when I was in Rocky Point this fall and finally got around to signing up to this forum. I watched you scream around the water while my adventure slowly moved along. I definitely want to upgrade to a AI next year. I will be down there again next fall and hope to see you. Here are a few pics from last fall. Nothing like camping on the beach just a few yards from the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:04 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I've done a couple of times at sea. Isn't fun.

A couple of tips on pin replacement.

Odds are it will like be bent and hard to extract. You will need good pliers. You might be able to extract sitting saddle like facing aft, but to replace the pin your going in.

Before doing so deploy your drift chute. The yak can still drift fast even with sail furled. I check my leash to both myself and the yak to make sure it's secure on each end.

I hold the pin in my teeth. I place a second at the rear of the tankwell inside a plastic bag that's easily reachable. Cluthing the pliers in one hand in you go. Would be a good idea to have a safety line of 2-3' on it attached to your wrist.

If you didn't get the pin out before you will have to wrestle with it.

Let's say you have it out. Try and hold the rudder housing on lined up so you can at least get the pin started. I have found I have to let it go to get the lower part of the rudder housing lined up so you want it in there at east part way.. As youline up the bottom press the pin down. Using the handle of the pliers gives you a hard surface to use.

As you get the pin to move in, rotate it so the "D" head clears the rudder lines.

With luck you will get the pin through the bottom section.

Realize you wil be bobbing around and passing swells will move you up and down with some force to the tune of "Jaws". You will frequently have to use an arm to hold onto the boat so pin wise it's frequently a one armed paper hanger act.

You can prepare a bit in advance.

1. Practice replacing the pin on dry land. Know in advance what you will encounter.

2. In swells and chop where you feel safe and have a buddy around in case things go wrong, jump in and hang onto the stern and go through the motions. If you feel like going under a trial by fire you can even replace a pin.

3. If your in cold water better have on a dry suit.

4. I did not wear my life vest on both occassions I replaced pins, but I always wear a leash. The vest may get in your way. See how you do in 2. above with and without a vest.

5. If there are two of you. Could a partner change your pin? Maybe someone want's to try that. IMHO both boats bobbing up and down will make it harder, but could be a choice particularly in cold water.

Maybe Kayak Bob and others can ad thei experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you the good tips on changing pin Dan, I'll definitely do a few trial runs. I haven't had to replace one yet and kind of feel don’t mess with a good thing. How do you attach a tether line to your pliers?

Those are nice pictures DW; I remember talking with you there. I'll be there in Feb, Mar, May, Jun, and Nov maybe a few unplanned trips. I met the local guy who runs the Hobie shop there; he has an AI and rents out Hobie kayaks to the resorts there.

For anyone reading this; the Arial picture shows the Reef RV Park, this is where we usually stay.

Nice to here from you and hope to see allot of AI's there this year, it's a great place! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Dan. I've changed a a few on the water. My only difference is I do keep my PFD on as I have a Hobie Gear Keeper (#72020001) mounted to it to keep me from loosing any tools.

I also have a SS pin the same size and shape as a rudder pin (from Lowes) that I can use to force a broken pin out, and to help lineup the bottom of the rudder and transom before inserting the new pin from the top.

A 9' surf leash attached to the rear aka support keeps you perfectly 1-2' from the rudder when working in the water.

Best is to go to shore, anywhere safe, and change on land. then continue your journey.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:33 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Forgot Bob's tip about getting to land. A good one if you have a chance.

Try the up mechanism. If it get's the rudder out of the water you can steer with your paddle.* I recommend only half, using OC_6 techniques of poking either side.

Be sure to furl your sail in enough to reduce the AI tendency to point up. You will find it difficult with the paddle if you don't.

*You can still try steering with your paddle. The rudder may just stream aft, perhaps giving the AI a tendency to bear port or stbd.