Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:18 am 
Site Admin

All of this is interesting, but we do know that there have been some pins that just were not molded rignt. That is a bigger factor than the rest.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A lot of people including myself sail without the pull-down line cleated at all, and have still experienced pin damage or breakage...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, maybe Matts right & there is a whole bunch of defective pins running around then. :?: I dunno :?:

I do apply marine grease on the rudder pin and on the molded in brass piece. I also spay lines and Twist & Stow mech with Silicone spray.

I know I'd be frustrated as he11 if I broke pins every few outings. 2 boats owned almost 30 months and only 1 broken pin between them. So, it is a real head scratcher and why I post my experiences.

I have been out in a wide & wild variety of water, even surfed with the island once - which I flipped sideways in a roller. But, normally I'm never out intentially in aything 20knts or over.

EDIT: Maybe this is IT! Both rudder pins on our Islands are the old plastic rods with cotter pins on top & bottom. They are of the "legacy" original design. I seem to recall Roadrunner mentioning that the older, solid pins were stronger. They would be harder to replace than the tapered "D" style pins - but, in my case at least, they sure last a long time.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess if it turns out only to be defective pins, Hobie will be coming to the party and posting out new pins to all us new boat owners who have these crook pins...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wow...what a hijack...freakin rudder pins huh...

the last one i broke after just 2 hours was treated with kid gloves
no over tightening of rudder pull down
no forcing rudder to fight weather helm...furled sail to ensure control was maintained
no jibing
sailing across the wind etc

broke whilst doing 4knots in moderate conditions 10 - 15 knots

have been given a couple of old pins and they are much harder the new ones and am looking forward to getting out to see how they hold up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Pirate wrote:
I guess if it turns out only to be defective pins, Hobie will be coming to the party and posting out new pins to all us new boat owners who have these crook pins...Pirate

From a guy who has yet to fail one STILL right?

Of course we will hand out free replacements if we determine the problem is bad molding. Can't make the offer till they can assure they are better though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail in pretty wild conditions and am very mindful of breaking anything offshore. I do carry a tool kit and a range of safety equipment but I do lack access to spares. My biggest worry is the rudder, which performs very well, and I amvery careful about not overpowering the sail and furl at the slightest 'feel' of pressure on the rudder. The A1 has performed flawlessly throughout and that was for all of last year.

My first trip of 2009 last weekend and the dreaded rudder failure occured about 5 miles offshore in force 5 winds and reasonable swell. The rudder was listing aimlessly and at first glance, seemed to be bobbing around. I wasn't at that stage quite sure what the failure was and I thought it may need to be locked in place (as though the cleated line had failed). I carry heavy duty tie wraps, duct tape and a multi purpose tool so it seemed sensible to try to effect some repairs at sea.

With the sail furled, I crawled back toward the stern and could see that the rudder was pretty lifeless. I knew about the rudder pin and the spare in the hatch but as I'd never had a failure, I wasn't sure if that was the problem. Like most problems, the more you look, the more you learn and I figured that it must be the pin. I located the spare pin, put it in my mouth so I wouldn't lose it, and by leaning right over I could see that the base of the pin was missing. It was a very simple and fast exercise to remove the old pin, secure the new one and then I was on my way. I couldn't quite believe how easy it was to make the repair and once again, I thanked Hobie and this Forum for providing me with the know-how and the solution to get myself out of trouble.

This A1 is fantastic, it never fails to thrill me in all conditions and I'm certain that treated with some love and care it will give us all lots of pleasure.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing all your knowledge - I learn something every day!

Upyaboya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So Upyaboya, you sail 5 miles offshore in the Irish Sea on your own? Do you carry an EPIRB? Radio? SPOT? I guess in a nasty offshore squall, its only another 45 miles to Wales :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good point you make Chrisj so let me expand a bit.

I live on the coast and normally remain in view of the house unless I take an excursion further out which is not too often. There's a lighthouse about 6 miles out which has quite a large seal colony and is fun to explore. With good wind and sea conditions (although once last year I had to pedal back) it's a nice trip. So for the most part, I'm 2 to 3 miles offshore running a track parallel to the coastline with numerous alternates to beach in the event of trouble.

I carry a GPS, VHF, Cell Phone and flares, and tie myself to the A1 using a surfboard line. Safety is a prime consideration and fog the main enemy. Normally, there are lots of other sailboats or Ribs in the vicinity. The lighthouse attracts lots of fishing so I'm rarely ever on my own.

In the event that I did have trouble, I'm likely to be blown to the Isle of Man before I'd reach Wales!

The water is cold, very cold at this time of year so the primary concern is not to capsize. While I carry a snorkelling set and am well waterproofed, it would not be a pleasant swim. But at least we don't have sharks.

The seals though are a nuisance if you're fishing. They take fish off the line and follow you to try to get more. I don't mind admitting that a fully grown seal surfacing beside you does give me the willy's.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Some video, I'll try to take some more if the weather improves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L46Bxsvl1Qo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upyaboya wrote:
Good point you make Chrisj so let me expand a bit.

I live on the coast and normally remain in view of the house unless I take an excursion further out which is not too often. There's a lighthouse about 6 miles out which has quite a large seal colony and is fun to explore.

Would that be Rockabill Island? I'm playing with Google Earth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm mightily impressed, it would indeed be Rockabill. And Lambay is further down the coast, a privately owned working Island.