Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:59 pm 
Hobie Team Member

AI trip report. No fish so skip unless your interested in new waters.

We were to put in Laupahoehoe. Those familar with the Big Island will recall the point got hit heavy one time by a tusnami. We would be going north to Waimanu which is just past Waipio. If you have ever taken a Big Island helicopter ride I'm sure they took you in to see the falls. Waimanu is kind of a minature Waipio, but so condensed even more spectacular as you take in the valley in one view.
Here's a pic.

You will have to go Google earth or Hawaiian images to see more pics as camera got lost (see below).

http://hawaiianimages.net/cgi-bin/aeria ... nsd0rboT80

We would lay over at Waimanu two nights then proceed to KeoKea a small park just east of Kapaau on the north tip of the Big Island.

Met at Kelly's house, our local Hobie dealer on the Big Island, at 0800 along with Steve & Kimberly. By the time we got four AI's on one truck, stopped at the market, got gas, got to Laupahoehoe, unloaded and rigged, and on the water it was 1100. If you know the distance from Laupahoehoe to Waimnau, and the time of sunset your probably saying oh oh.

It's roughly 28 miles, I think I got 27+ on my GPS to cover in 8 hours of light.

Use google earth to see the route. Not sure how to post it.

The wind was great for the first two hours as we had a downwind/swell run the whole way. We were doing better than 4 knots and one time I was surfing a swell under full sail at 10+

Then it died out and we were pumping like hell knowing the limit on daylight. If you paddle this route in calm days, instead of sailing/pedaling, get on the water earlier. You will need to be in shape to average 3 knots and make it . Leaving at sunrise you might gain a couple of extra needed hours.

Kelly and I were the only ones fishing, he running more inside at ~50 fathoms, me outside at ~100. He had one bite, probably a stick fish the way he described it, but that was it between the two of us, although once I went right pass a bird pile (no time to stop and circle).

The coast is magnificent and very early stage Kauai geographically speaking. Only a couple of scattered rock beaches to escape if your in trouble, and you probably need mountain climbing gear to get out. First rule for this trip, don't sink! Kelly states one guy awhile back had to be air rescued as his Prowler filled up and they couldn't get it bailed.

Kelly got into the lead as I zig zagged the 100 fathom line, pulling ahead of the gal and Steve as they rounded Kukuihaele (overlook point for viewing Waipio). From there it's approximately 4 nm to Waimanu, only 2.5 to Waipio. But going to Waipio and then Waimanu is almost 6. Kelly running for Waimanu had some outside wind and was off to the races. The gal cutting in lost the wind and ended up working hard to get to Waipio. So she camped there overnight with Steve. They had stuck fairly close together following the same inside track being somewhat newish to AI's. They stopped at Waimnau the next morning enroute to KeoKea. Moral of this story is if your going to Waimanu in one shot stay outside rounding Kukuihaele.

As I approached Waimanu I was one pooped septegarian puppy, but uplifted by the numerous falls and cliffs that stretched from Waipio to Waimanu. Magnificent!! Lucky to live here and experience it.

Knowing the future schedule, somewhat, I called Roc who was probably fishing in the non windy weather, and left a message aborting Saturday & Sunday.So hit me for day 12 only. Hope he got it. { Fishing contest was going on}

Getting things ready to land I reeled in my 'opelu, and no sooner got it's leader detached from the snap hook when large shibi young ahi) started jumping in the dusk. D#@m.

Kelly guided me into the shore where the break was pretty small. Cleaned up, and had hot dogs versus fish for dinner.

The next morning 3 yakers were scheduled to join us for Sunday's run to KeoKea.

They were a bit late getting there so around noon Kelly took me up to the falls which were magnificent. The trail starts at campsite #9 and getting there from site #3 was over a very rocky trail so we used the beach to get to #9. There was more sand there than Kelly had ever seen stretching the whole way from the north end to the south. Under most conditions the north end is the only spot that has sand for landing.

Some of Kelly's other friends had opted to hike in and worked the beach area over with whipping rigs. Moi was at the top of the list and several were hooked, but not landed. One wriggling free when actually on the sand. As the evening went on she got some major hits on light moi gear. Couldn't hold 'em. She thought possibly o'io.

With flip flops for the hike I pooped out and elected to pass on some late afternoon fishing to gas with the newcomers. Two guys with Scupper Pros Storm & Jim. A gal had an old version and had brought her dog over from Waipio so elected to pass on Sunday's trip. But she wanted help the next day on the launch with her dog in the front of the Cockpit.

Kelly had landed by going up the river on the south end (it was high tide) hauling out on the grass bank next to site #2. So Sunday AM he had me go up the river so I could see the whole falls (only two levels are visible from the beach camp). It was surprising deep 3-4 feet so no problem for the AI pedal drive in yak mode (no ama). At least until I got to where Kelly described over hanging trees. The river had narrowed and the current was faster, depth getting shallower. So pulled drive. Keep going by pulling myself along on branches and marsh weed (bulrushes), and sometimes paddling. I could tell I was getting close as I sometimes could get a glimpse of part of the falls.

Then I lost the paddle fighting through some overhanging bulrushes that acted almost like a fence. Had to abort, so it was an Alphonse Gaston chase downstream to get the thing. Nevertheless the trip up is very interesting and worth your while.

Do not do what one of Kelly's friends did one year. He paddled up. Then waded across the marsh to the falls. The marsh trip was so bad, he hiked out, then went back up the river with a buddy in a tandem to get his yak back.

I returned in time to watch Storm & Jim shove off. Kelly & I packed up and awaited the gals return from the falls to get her launched with her dog. But she managed to find another camper to help her so we shoved off. Very small surf, but a pain in the neck. I lost my camera pushing the bow through a small wave. I had it stuffed in the side netting. But it had a small float attached to it in case I lost it overboard. I think there was just enough passing water to pull the float, and hence camera out which I did not notice at the time. Sorry no pics from Laupahoehoe leg or Waimanu Valley.

So Kelly and me are on the water at 11, only 9 miles to Keokea. In AIs with no wind, not even a puff. One of the disadvantages of the AI, because then you are dragging along two ama. The guys in their Scupper Pros had it easy.

Trip went fast at the start, however, again due to the scenery. Something like 12-14 waterfalls up to the small island rocks (offshore from Honokea stream ?). We saw one fishing boat, and one jet ski with an adult and a kid as a rider (it was CALM). But no one hooked up, and although I had aborted Makahiki { fishing contest} days and thought that would be a key to a catch, it wasn't.

In summary it was a great trip for exploring. The fishing could have been much better, but I now have a handle on returning/launching out of KeoKea, and the other spots. I think even with trades it might be fishable for the AI similar to South Point if they are under 15 knots. One advantage over SP will be going out you tacking into the wind, and coming back you have it coming from aft..Note lack of any help in both locations. Know your weather and boat limits.

Aloha

Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a great trip Dan!
What a spectacular looking place, so different to the landforms here.
What a tragedy you lost the camera. I would have loved to have seen those pics. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:44 am 
Hobie Team Member

OK -Here are a couple of more I downloaded from the images site.

Laupahoehoe where we started. The ramp is on the left where you can barely make out the three cars.

One of the numerous gulches we passed

A yak casualty here would not be nice

Here's the final approach to Waimanu with Kukuihaele sticking out on the right

Leading up to Waimanu you go by Waipio

More Waimanu shots. The first is the stretch between Waipio and Waimanu. Note Mauna Loa (volcano) in background.

Enroute to KeoKea

I counted over 16 falls!

KeoKea takeout is hidden as you make a left turn around the first point.

sorry the images are shot from an airplane, so you don't get the yak looking up perspective, but it's the best I can do
Aloha
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

great photos!
looks like an amazing trip!!

Last edited by taylorlove on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice report, Dan. That is beautiful country. We kayaked the NaPali coast a few years ago--spectacular.

Thanks!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
Thanks Taylorlove and Kieth for bringing to my attention Aloha Dan's post on his adventure this last May. I must have been out sailing and missed it!
What beautiful scenery and it sounds like a real nice trip.
Thank you for sharing it with us Aloha Dan.
I think I'll be looking back in time in this Is Adventure/Sailing section to see what else I've missed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Cheap Hawaii HotelsLuxury Hawaii Hotels We were to put in Laupahoehoe. Those familar with the Big Island will recall the point got hit heavy one time by a tusnami. We would be going north to Waimanu which is just past Waipio. If you have ever taken a Big Island helicopter ride I'm sure they took you in to see the falls. Waimanu is kind of a minature Waipio, but so condensed even more spectacular as you take in the valley in one view.
Here's a pic.

Wow - thanks for posting the trip report and photos. How spectacular! We are planning our first trip to Hawaii this summner. So many decisions to make on what to do, where to go, what to see in a short 7 days. I have added Waimanu to my "must visit" list--so incredibly beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Enjoyed this Thread, thanks!