Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Disregard-trying to figure out how to quote and accidently posted

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

but hell-while Im here... I think the best thing about the tramps is a sense of security in deeper larger bodies of water. You never know whats down there...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
You also sail exclusively in the sea Max. In return for the privilege of having lots of estuaries to sail in, we (Central Coastians) often find ourselves negotiating shallow channels with lots of seagrass. Sometimes the only way through is to retract the rudder, remove the drive and paddle. I imagine Keith (Chekika) might encounter similar conditions in The Everglades.

I understand this Chris, I also operate in shallow coastal estuaries about once a week with a local club.
However I am only in Adventure Kayak mode whilst doing this and using the Paddle most of the time.
I would really like to have full-paddle access even with the Tramps, sometimes it's just indispensable, but I don't feel like embarking on another construction project right now, maybe I can Mod the Hobie Tramps at a later date.

I also gaze enviously at your more expansive protected waters on Google Earth, hope to make it down there and sail with you guys one day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

seawolf wrote:
I recently made a pair of tramps, for my AI. I used marine mesh (Black), 4 buckles and a aluminuim rod at the rear which can be broken in 1/2 to get a paddle in action.I made this after looking at photos, of hobie original tramp.I will put some storage pockets on , can any one suggest what these should look like, velcro, zip, how big?

A barber hauler has been installed, to the handle in the middle of amas/akas.

I would like to see a foto of your mesh and BH setup Seawolf if you have one, also the Jib when you fit it.
Thanks, Max.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skymax wrote:
I also gaze enviously at your more expansive protected waters on Google Earth, hope to make it down there and sail with you guys one day.

It'd be great to see you here Max.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are some pictures of AI tram, jib drawing, etc.

http://budge-budgeblog.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Impressive! It certainly looks like you have a grip on design.

I notice your AI on the wall, I am looking for storage solutions for my AI because my boats are taking up to much room in the garage and it is supposed to be primarily for my Recumbent Bicycles, how do you get it up there, is there a pulley system or you have help lifting it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have inverse storage to you skymax AI on wall, bikes in the hall( no garage In CBD sydney for me)....Check my blog for pulleys & v cleats system that works well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Serendipitous! Here I am wondering how to deal with storage and I discover the answer through a Tramp Thread.
(Apologies to other Forum'ers for getting Off-topic for a moment.)

Here's a bike BLOG about finding the Real Americans, not just what you see on the TV News.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 19479&v=Ff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max, would this article by 5thofNovember be helpful to you? http://yakabout.com.au/home/content/view/403/42/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Mickey and Pirate. I've been thinking about your wonderful trampoline design. It occurs to me that one minor disadvantage compared to the standard tramps is that they would be a bit less comfortable for a passenger. Looking at how a conventional Ocean Kayak seat is fitted, it has two straps at the rear to stop it sliding forward and two at the front to hold the back of the seat upright. I was thinking that with the incorporation of four looped tabs sewn into the tramps, it would be possible to fit one of these seats and greatly enhance the comfort for a passenger. It would probably be a useful addition to the standard tramps too. What do you think?

Last edited by chrisj on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Chris, We have not really sorted the custom tramps out yet as we have only really tried them twice, and both times it was reasonably calm. Still have to properly tension the front 'wave deflector' triangular section by tightening the perimeter ropes and possibly a couple of straps. Though I can sit and stand on the tramps section , I do weigh 90kg and at that weight my bum does get wet when sitting down. The seat idea would certainly help to raise above and provide a physical barrier as well as to support a passenger but I would need to try out the idea probably using a banana lounge cushion or similar. I will have a go at it when I get my act together in the next week or so and let you know how I get on. I suppose I could even encourage Mickey to bring along himself and his seat for sea trials then he might be the one with the wet bottie. The old story though Chris....that is too much to do and so little time in which to do them all... Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm, maybe I can just Ockey-strap my old Banana Lounge onto the AMA..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Max, would this article by 5thofNovember be helpful to you? http://yakabout.com.au/home/content/view/403/42/

Yes thanks, I am installing almost exactly your pictured system to get the AI right up close to the ceiling so it doesnt block any of the Downlighting.