Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New AI owner experience
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First, thanks to all the contributors here for the help and experiences that you have shared. My buying decision and first sails have been all the more pleasant because of this forum.

I have had the AI out 6 times so far on 2 different bodies of water here in Nevada, Pyramid Lake and a small mountain reservoir called Antelope lake. both adventures have produced great fishing, light winds and plenty of learning. I am not sure how much wind the AI can take without tipping but the most wind I had was about 15 miles per hour and even that it seemed like the full sail was heavily loaded and one ama was 8-10 inches out of the water. I guess I will get used to it and more confident.
Here is my AI on Antelope lake and the first bass of the evening:

One of my first priorities was trying to figure out how to store the boats. I had an Outback, that my wife now uses when we pedel together, and the AI addition meant a new storage solution was needed. So here is my first contribution!

I took a set of bench legs from Grainger and proceeded to build a rolling storage platform that would hold both yaks and all of the peripherals. This solution allows me to roll them out to the truck for loading or simply get them out of the garage/shop when I need the work space. Everything is in one place and it makes for a compact and safe storage solution. The legs can be ordered from Grainger http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5W682 for about $90 and I spent another $100 on wood, hooks, bungees and bolts to complete the project.

Here is a side shot of the wooden rack bolted to the top of the Grainger workbench legs. I lag screwed most everything but I might drill and bolt if I did it again. I added 4" locking caster to the bottom of the legs to make it mobile
Here is a shot of the the OB and AI loaded on the wood supports. The AI's braces fit nicely within the legs and the OB gets lashed to the top brace to prevent it sliding off. I need to add carpet to the rails to cushion the interface. The AI sail simply rest on the AI hull.
On the back of the rack I added some screw hooks so I could hang the amas. A nylon rope and clips on each end attach to the amas and through the handle to hang each well supported. It makes a nice location to dry out vests, seats and of course the dogs life preserver and lifting harness.
On the front I can bungee my Yakima roof bars and on the bottom shelf all of the various yak products and supplies are nicely stored. The holes already drilled in the metal leg set allows plenty of places to hook bungees for hanging wheels and other stuff.
Finally, the real reason for the project, everything nicely stuffed into the garage with plenty of room left for parking and easily moved for projects and loading up.

Hope that gives you guys some ideas, if you need a parts list or more details on construction, I am happy to help and pay forward for the great posts that I have trolled the past few months.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Steve,
Thanks for a great first post, pics and all! :wink:
You have a well thought out set-up there. Nice work. 8)
I remember my first time out wondering the same about capsizing. In a year and a half of sailing the AI it has never happened and we have been out in some nasty conditions with gusts of +30knots(35mph). This boat is extremely stable and it seems that gear failure or large breaking waves are the cause of the few capsizes that have been reported here. Even with an aka brace failure my mate Jason, who has cerebral palsy, did not capsize. You may have seen my earlier post about this:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11745
You can have confidence that the AI is pretty much untippable, especially if you are sailing in the ideal range of 10 - 20 knot wind conditions. The windward ama is meant to be out of the water so don't worry about how high it gets. Watch the lee ama and if it is often being totally submerged, furl the sail a bit.:)
Look at this pic of another trip of Jason in the top right corner and notice how high his windward ama is. No capsize even here! :wink:

PS- The aka brace fix suggested by Bob in the above link is a must do IMHO!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Stringy, I am sure I will gain confidence and learn the limits of the AI. All I really have nearby are inland lakes (although Lake Tahoe and Pyramid Lake are large bodies of water and can be treacherous) to play and learn on.

I don't know how I missed the tip on the brace, I thought I had read everything. I will definitely implement that. I plan on doing a circumnavigation of Pyramid and Tahoe (about 100 miles) as soon as I am experienced and prepared, probably next year, so I will need to make sure I have everything lashed, leashed and stowed.

Fishing is always fun for me but (if you can't tell from my handle) I am really looking forward to some photography opportunities from the AI. I am still trying to figure out the best way to bring and protect my Nikon equipment. Here are a couple of shots taken from the Antelope lake sails.

I missed the shot of this guy fishing!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Steve - beautiful shots! Pelican cases seem to be the go for keeping sensitive gear dry. A waterproof point and click camera is also handy for spontaneous action shots on the water.

Last edited by chrisj on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome!

And GREAT Pic's!

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve
Great ideas - great photography - inspiring stuff :!:
I join Stringy, ChrisJ & Kayaking Bob's Welcome aboard and look forward to your future posts.
8) :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

Last edited by mickeymouse on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to another AI and Nikon user :D

Some nice pics you got there. Photography was another reason I got the AI. I'm still working out how to carry my gear safely though. The tramps will play a part there, and I'm sure I'll be investing in a pelican case sometime soon.

The grey wet weather and work have been slowing me down a bit more than I'd hoped for but I'm sure the sunny crisp winter mornings are just around the corner here.

I tried looking at your website but the links along the top of the home page didn't seem to work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I hope to contribute more as I learn and and travel to some of the local lakes to explore, photograph and fish.
Cowsgomoo, I am just working on my website, I'll let you know when it is ready for primetime. Chrisj, I am going to look in the pelican cases, my main concern with them was the space they take, but with the tramps added, that may be a moot issue.