Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a used 09 adventure and I'm trying to talk myself into converting it. I'm curious if there's anyone like me with no prior sailing experience and what the learning curve is like. At this point, my primary interest is kayak fishing. Can this craft sail and a consistent 2-3mph trolling speed? Also, can the AI be car topped? I welcome any thoughts or advice.

Thanks,

T

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GreatyLakesT wrote:
... with no prior sailing experience and what the learning curve is like.
Easy to learn, starting in lighter winds. It lets you know when you are doing it right, and just sits there when you're not. :)

GreatyLakesT wrote:
At this point, my primary interest is kayak fishing. Can this craft sail and a consistent 2-3mph trolling speed?
You can troll sailing in winds 5 to 20+mph, and also pedal 3-4mph when the wind is lighter or in the wrong direction. It is more complicated to sail & fish, but also more satisfying.

GreatyLakesT wrote:
Also, can the AI be car topped?
Yep, not much harder than the Adventure, just more pieced to cart when dissembled.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was new when I started, and had never sailed before. I agree with the previous post. Start with light winds, and you'll figure it out pretty quickly. It's not that difficult to get the basics down.

Finally, the AI is easy to transport on the roof of a car. I usually just take my AI on a kayak rack with the ama's beside, but if you need to take two boats, you can even do that.

(Below is a picture of my AI, and Revolution on top of a Honda Civic)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out Yakass's website: http://yakass.net/ . It's all about fishing from the Adventure Island. A wealth of information.

Augaug, that's an interesting kayak rack. It seems to wrap around the hull and extend the effective width of the roofrack, unlike the usual cradles. What model is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is not a sophisticated sailing machine. You will learn it quickly.

Transporting the trimaran is not much harder that the monohull.

The only hard part will be performing the conversion without ruining the hull.

As I understand it, you now CAN put the newer style Akas on the older hulls. Perhaps Matt can fill us in on how and when you could do this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for taking the time to reply with a photo, comment, or link!

NOHUHU- Yes, that is my biggest fear; hacking the hull. I'm hoping to get some reassurance from somebody who has done it successfully.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Augaug, that's an interesting kayak rack. It seems to wrap around the hull and extend the effective width of the roofrack, unlike the usual cradles. What model is it?

That's the Yakima Mako Saddles. I've been really happy with them. The best part is that when you tighten the straps up, they actually hug the boat placing even pressure all the way around, instead of pulling the boat down onto the saddles or bar. They also offer some suspension of the boat, meaning the saddles absorb the bumps instead of the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Augaug,
Having the straps attach to the cradles, instead of the roofrack is a great idea. I sometimes carry two boats using a set of J-racks, but the Makos just look neater and less top-heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have converted mine for fishing and scuba diving. I went pretty crazy to start with, but have now come back to something mid stream, I have seen other keep it very simple and still successfully fish from them.

There is lots of info around and it would pay to have a real good look around before you start. I would also recommend trying to keep it simple and just get out and get used to it first. Once you have an idea about the AI then start taking a rod or two out. Using the standard rear rod holders with a bit of PVC pipe inside for a rod tube will be the easiest and cheapest way to start. Rod leashes are a must have, your main sheet line can catch under the rod eyes and lift them out if you are not careful, plonk and they are gone, I learn't that one the hard way :cry: .

Really think about the way you will fish from it the most, whether it be bait, troll, jig, or flick plastics also before you start modifying it.

I find you really need winds 6 knots or more to be able to troll at any consistent speeds. 6 to 12 knots, slow trolling 3 to 4 Km, 12 to 20 knots then I can start getting fast troll speeds up to 10 kmh. This also depends on depth that you are trolling, amount of lures you are trolling and the lure type as they can also greatly reduce speed.

Good luck with it all, I know you are going to enjoy it.