Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those dry bags had all gone when I got to our local Aldi, Tony.
So they were good quality?
Dry bags are perfect for camping and not just for keeping water out, as you've discovered with the infamous bull dust. Also good for keeping insects out of food/clothing.

We bought Aldi's dry duffel bags a few months back and they are also great for camping. We prefer them to standard dry bags now as the wider opening is better for access. They are too large to fit into the round hatch's though, but sit nicely strapped on the haka.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
On a related note, I trust you guys took advantage of the recent Aldi drybag sale! $6.99 for each of two package of 5, 10 and 20 litre drybags was too tasty to miss, even though I had already bought another 20 litre one on eBay. I think I now have more than a dozen sitting there ready for some camping action even after stowing tent, inflatable mattresses, sleeping bags and butane stove! I even bought some plastic "star-picket style" tent pegs which are infinitely superior to those dopey bent wire ones.

I only wish I had put >everything< into dry bags for my recent outback trip, as the dust sealing on the trailer didn't :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I couldn't help myself with the Aldi drybags. Nice POD Trailer. I got one a few years ago. Great for storing camping stuff. I put roof racks on it. I haven't had the dust problem though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mystery solved CGM, it turns out that two "drainage" holes (I think that is what they were) weren't sealed, so as the trailer flexed, it worked like bellows, sucking dust inside... All fixed now.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What size/schedule are the PVC posts for the hammock setup? Trying to make solution for my 2015 TI, however, schedule 40 PVC is not cutting it for a 200 lb guy. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reefmon wrote:
What size/schedule are the PVC posts for the hammock setup? Trying to make solution for my 2015 TI, however, schedule 40 PVC is not cutting it for a 200 lb guy. Thanks!

I've found 40mm PN12 pipe strong enough for me (170 lb). For extra reinforcement, 32mm pipe slides neatly inside the 40mm pipe.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've done similar. I actually glued a 1 metre section of pipe within the pipe using blue plumbers glue. And pushed it in so that it was centred. But if you do it, work quick. That glue has about a 5 second going off period.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info... I'm In Hawaii and pickings are slim as far as availability... I ended up using 1.5" schedule 80 PVC/condiat. The poles do bend a little but seem to hold up pretty good and straighten back up when weight is off the hammock. I was able to rest in the hammock for a few hours with no problems. I guess the next test would have to be on the water!

Carpe Diem, Carpe Noctum, Capere Ventus

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A clever design for sleeping on board a Tandem has been developed by Dockwater & Amabouy—participants in this year’s aborted Everglades Challenge. Remember the WaterTribe’s 2015 EC was cancelled. However, many participants continued their “vacation cruise” along the route normally taken by EC participants. The link to Dockwater’s 2015 EC trip report is here: http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/photos-link-and-ec-2015-report-from-dockwater In that trip report, Dockwater describes sitting up their “haka pods.” Here are a couple pictures. Their brief description of developing the haka pods is given below.

Hakas deployed

Haka pods deployed

Dockwater & Amabouy on Ft Desoto Beach preparing for the start of the WaterTribe 2015 Everglades Challenge

Here is Dockwater's brief description of their haka pods development.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow! Pretty impressive. Only issue I see with the haka based design is that it sits pretty close to the water. That might be a problem with an unbalanced load, like me and my kid, or just me, combined with boat wake and wind swell, not to mention ocean swell.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seat belts. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reefmon wrote:
Wow! Pretty impressive. Only issue I see with the haka based design is that it sits pretty close to the water. That might be a problem with an unbalanced load, like me and my kid, or just me, combined with boat wake and wind swell, not to mention ocean swell.

Dockwater & Amabouy always camped in protected areas, never on the exposed ocean. Regarding the "unbalanced load," you can see in the one picture of the deployed haka pods, that Amabouy is in his haka pod with no one balancing out the other side. He is sitting pretty high, but, of course, you wouldn't want a powerboat buzzing you at 25 yds.

Along coastal Florida, you can often find a beach to pull your Island up on. Presumably these fellows could do that, and, then, deploy their haka pods.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting Keith. Always good to see different ways to do stuff.
I have just needed to made a mod to my setup after the last sleepover. 'DEW'. Don't know if you get it much there but under certain conditions here, it's as annoying as rain. Getting in and out of the hammock was impossible without brushing against the fly and getting wet. So I've added a thin, fibreglass, collapsible, tent pole to the kit to hold the fly away from the hammock. Yet to try it so stay tuned. :|

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So that would be condensation from your breath; dew would collect on the outside of the fly. When I park out in mine I'm able to feel the Hawaiian trade winds blowing through the hammock. How much separation between the fly and the hammock do think is needed? I have about 12-18 inches. I just rigged the fly 12 inches above the hammock line and used bungies to pick up the slack when the hammock sags under weight.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter, we get tons of dew most nights during the south Florida camping season, and, yes, lots of condensation inside the tent.

I can't get excited about camping hammocks. Some people do, but hammocks are not my bag (pun intended.) Along coastal Florida, we can usually find a beach, but that is not always the case, especially as you go up along the west coast. On the west coast, there are lots of preserves with no designated camping sites. One might be able to sleep on your boat in these areas--I'm not sure. There are plenty of bays & rivers along these coastal areas, where you could seek shelter to put up an on-board sleeping system. Maybe next year, we will expand out camping up into that region. It would be a nice change, but quite distant from S FL.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reefmon wrote:
So that would be condensation from your breath; dew would collect on the outside of the fly. When I park out in mine I'm able to feel the Hawaiian trade winds blowing through the hammock. How much separation between the fly and the hammock do think is needed? I have about 12-18 inches. I just rigged the fly 12 inches above the hammock line and used bungies to pick up the slack when the hammock sags under weight.

Sorry to trot out this ancient photo of my hammock yet again, but the setup with the fly has stood the test of time. As you can see, the fly is on a separate ridgeline, which is held taut by the drive acting as a counterweight, so the fly won't sag, no matter how wet it gets. Never had a problem with dew or condensation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next