Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fly4v - fortunately our bears are a lot more cute and cuddly than yours so we haven't got that problem. Our crocs are only up north so that's not a problem for us southerners either. And our sharks don't like the taste of plastic. Well that's what I tell myself before I go to sleep.

Fred - Re-read the post, admit you were wrong and that you misread or misunderstood Chris's post, apologise.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I do Watertribe races I need a fast way of setting up. Most of the time I only sleep for a few hours. Here is a system that I have been playing with. i am 6'2" and one side of my AI tramp seems to be just right. This can be done beached or on the water.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I could imagine that your setup is ideal Paul for this trip. How comfortable is it for longer periods ? Are mozzies an issue that time of the year ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could stretch in real comfort across a pair of these:

Bring along an inflatable bed or float.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzz,.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The thing that makes my setup work is the inflatable sleeping pad. For speed I keep it partially inflated in the bow. The tramp is tight and I slide my paddle under it from the boat to the amma. If the weather is right, no tarp needed. Nothing better than sleeping under the stars. Most of the Watertribe races are held when the temperatures start dropping. I try to stay out of the woods and pick more windy locations. For bugs I use netting. This is all about speed and ease of setup. One big problem is morning dew. You can wake up wet...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Isn't it funny Paul how windy, cold, wet conditions full of bugs can draw you back year after year.
I'm not that into fishing but every year I do a fishing trip with a few mates in the same sort of conditions and as soon as we get back we are planning next years trip. I dunno, perhaps when we are both 80, we may realise that pina coladas under a palm tree in Fiji isn't a bad option.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
You could stretch in real comfort across a pair of these:

Bring along an inflatable bed or float.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzz,.....

I reckon a minor variant of Nohuhu's benches, plus a swag, might be a good option for those who don't like hammocks. Most single swags seem to be 7'1" x 2'9", so two benches about 7'1" x 1'4" should be ideal. The other advantage of the benches is you could mount brackets at either end to hold the poles and hopefully that would compensate for not being able to stake the ridge line. To that end, I guess you would mount the cross pieces right at the ends of the benches.
The boat might tend to lean to one side and leave you lying at a tilt, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for DogsLife.

At a pinch, you could even put one on either side of a TI and sleep two!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only problem with most swags though Chris is the fact that they are generally heavy, large and combersome. I've always thought that using the sail as a fly could work well in the right configeration. Duel use is always good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On a AI you really can not sleep parallel to the hull. The Amma has much less buoyancy. My rig puts me at a 45 degree angle. Leaving my head slightly higher by the main hull. I thought about just rolling out the sail as a cover. A $4 tarp has much less risk for damage. I already have attached pre-measured lines to the corners that just hook on with little adjustments. The tarp is not that much weight and serves as good camouflage when stealth camping.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been waiting to see someone paint a camo colored adventure. :wink:

But it's amazing how stealthy a dune Hobie is, on a sand dune.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Now that time has passed and some of you had time to test out the hammock system I wonder how did you go? How much mucking around is it to set it up? (floating in the water). How long does it take to set is up?
What are the pro's and con's of the hammock system on the AI (beside space).
I always use a hammock when I am in the bush, but to set it up on the AI floating looks like a lot of mucking around.
How do you keep everything dry (let's face it after a day sailing we are wet, after setting the hammock up out feet & arms will defenately be wet.
How do you get changed?
Once you are in the hammock- how much movement is transfered to the hammock from little waves and alike?
I wouldn't use it on the big blue, but seems to be perfect for the mangroves.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Haven't heard from you Hollgi. Good to see you back. I plagiarised your writings below and added some answers.

How much mucking around is it to set it up? (floating in the water). How long does it take to set is up? It generally takes about the same time as a pup tent but I'm not yet a gun at erecting it.

What are the pro's and con's of the hammock system on the AI (beside space). The hammock, for me, is heaps more comfy and that's probably the main reason for going this way. There is a bit more weight and space required for the PVC poles but as you can see in my latest video,
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=41195&hilit=overnighter
they are out of the way and not really an issue.
Just remember the other con though. It's a bit like a caravan verse a motorhome. You can leave a pup tent ( caravan ) and go out fishing for the day and come back to it later. You need to pack up the hammock ( motorhome) to go anywhere.

I always use a hammock when I am in the bush, but to set it up on the AI floating looks like a lot of mucking around. As I said, not really much different to a pup tent.

How do you keep everything dry (let's face it after a day sailing we are wet, after setting the hammock up out feet & arms will defenately be wet. When I first set up I place my anchor way out and tie off to a tree or similar. Then attach the AI to the anchor rope and move it in and out as required. I tend to set it all up right on the shoreline and keep it that way until I go to sleep. Then unclip it and move it out and reattach. My feet are generally the only wet bit but a strategically placed towel fixes that.

How do you get changed? Changed ? I'm always rough'n it. But if I did need to change into my flannelette jim jams, I'd do it on shore.

Once you are in the hammock- how much movement is transfered to the hammock from little waves and alike? Just the right amount although I don't really know cause I'm usually asleep too quick. I thought this would be an issue as well but as long as your spot is fairly well protected, it's not an issue.

I wouldn't use it on the big blue, but seems to be perfect for the mangroves. I'd love to be game enough to try it in the big blue. But for mangroves, ideal.

Hope this helps Hollgi.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with all Slaughter's comments. I really only use the hammock near the shore, so I can usually just walk around the boat, which makes setup really easy (I don't use tramps). For the hell of it, I have practised setting up out on the water. It is a bit more awkward, but just a matter of practice. All the lines are pre-looped, so I just have to slip them over the poles and fittings. My hammock entry is in the middle, so I keep a towel in the hammock and when getting in, I initially sit in the hammock and reach down and get any sand or water off my legs and feet before lifting them up into the hammock. Apart from that, the experience is pretty much the same as using the hammock on land.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Haven't heard from you Hollgi. Good to see you back.
Thanks- yeah I am still around but setting up my business while working other jobs is keeping me busy in the moment.

How do you get changed? Changed ? I'm always rough'n it. But if I did need to change into my flannelette jim jams, I'd do it on shore.
I am roughing it too ( 1 set of dry clothes for a week+/ land use) but I do like to get out of my wet clothes = dry to sleep.

So basically you all set it up in shallow water- that would make things alot easier.

Seeing that I am loving my hammock and only go to the ground if I really, REALLY have to, I might have a play around.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Borrowing Slaughters bit.

How much mucking around is it to set it up? (floating in the water). How long does it take to set is up? About 20 minutes.

I always use a hammock when I am in the bush, but to set it up on the AI floating looks like a lot of mucking around. At first Yes. To solve that problem I color coded the lines and used duct tape to mark the location for the PVC pipes. The haka benches really help for set up and having alternate tie locations.

How do you keep everything dry. Hobie stuff sack that came with the Adventure (not AI). The hammock and rain fly fit perfectly. For the sleeping bag I have an old army stuff sack/waterproof bag almost like a hefty on steroids.

I wouldn't use it on the big blue, but seems to be perfect for the mangroves. Need position lights, chute anchor and a radar panel for big blue. Biggest fear would be other boaters. But its worth a go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 31  Next