Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another ingenious solution Stringy. It seems to sit fairly high. Do you think it will protect you adequately from driving rain? I wonder if you should go the whole hog and get those transparent plastic sides for it. You will have a veritable floating pleasure dome!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony and Slaughter,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
For some reason my wife found the so called 'paparazzi' shot and comments very funny! :?
The umbrella I was looking at was much larger though! :wink:

Chris,
Thanks. I was concerned about the height as well. I have actually cut it down by 125mm. I'm hoping that the 1.9m width and 2.4m length will give some protection from wind driven rain at the centre of the hull. My aim with this bimini was to provide enough shelter to cook, set up the bivvy and get into it without getting soaked.
The problem with sides is that they act like a sail. The bimini is supposed to have a 45 knot rating (not that i'm planning to be out in that) and the reason it's rated so highly is due to it being horizontal, so it catches little wind.
Hopefully I'll be able to test it and report back soon.
BTW: The biggest difficulty with this bimini was transporting it. Folded up it measured about 2m x 2m and was very awkward. It was too big to fit on the roof racks or the trailer. I ended up cutting the main supports and adding tube joiners/bungee so the legs can be folded up. Now it fits in the back of the car or even on the hull:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really does look neat when erected. And the padeyes at the end of the Amas look as though they were positioned especially for the guy ropes.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First on water test.
It was simple to put up and I was very happy with how it didn't flap in the 15 knot breeze I pedalled into, after I took these shots. I think this has lots of promise for over-nighting on the AI...and I reckon it doesn't look too bad either! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why didn't you refine this idea at the end of Winter rather than the start ? I know you. Now you'll be itch'n to get out there for some -5 degree C action.

It does look good and in proportion, ( and needs to go in the Photo Comp. )

But I can't help think I've seen the design from somewhere before !!!

That's right, the Moroccan Hobie Club.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Love the Morrocan Hobie's! 8) Proves once again there's nothing really new under the sun.
You are right as usual. I was tempted to give the bimini a thorough test out in that East Coast Low that we've had here the last 2 nights, but I thought better of it. It was raining when I tested it but nothing like the rain we've had here the last two days. There's nothing stopping me now from doing a multi-day camping trip and sleeping on board so once this ECL disappears I plan to head for Cowan Creek.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't the Amish prefer black hulls? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No, I have to say that your AI is looking better every time we see it!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can also see where Chris pinched his quarterdeck idea from. :roll:

Sorry Stringy, unless it warms up substantially, the AI is getting rugged up and I'm going into hibernation mode.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Last weekend in the Watertribe Okome Fest I paddled against a 20 foot home made monohull powered by a Mirage Drive. That boat actually went faster than I could pedalling. On that boat he had a similar home made canopy. I am thinking on adopting something similar.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I can also see where Chris pinched his quarterdeck idea from. :roll:

Sorry Stringy, unless it warms up substantially, the AI is getting rugged up and I'm going into hibernation mode.

That's the problem with you skinny blokes!. I just put on my breathable waders and a cycling jacket, on my well padded frame and I am good for sailing through the winter :P

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Paul, good seeing and talking to you on the beach at the Okoume Fest last week!
I had looked briefly at that boat while it was on the beach before the start but did not notice the Mirage drive, only that it did not appear to have a mast or sail... I was wondering about that until I saw him leave the beach under peddle power!
Interesting that it was actually faster than you under peddle power... his rate of speed leaving the beach was quite remarkably quick but I had thought that he was just trying to catch up with the rest of the field since he was one of the last few departures.
Do you know what his name was, Tribe or otherwise?

Don

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nicely pimped Stringy. Looks natural on there. With the Hakas, you've done a nice imitation of a party barge. In my book, you are one talented and twisted Hobie tweaker!

You gotta be pushing your weight limits now, for an expedition, so the next stage may be putting TI Amas on her. In fact, this large bimini mod looks perfectly suited for a TI's length and capacity.

Or better yet, a TI3's. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Nohuhu. Yes, I'll be trying this on the TI when I get a chance, though it's main purpose is for shelter when sleeping on board and (according to my wife) that's not going to happen on the TI! :roll:
It would provide sun shelter and we have had lunch on the TI while anchored so it may get some use.
It weighs 8kg so it's not really pushing the weight limit. It replaces a tent and allows me to use a much lighter bivvy.
I like to transport the AI with the hull on roof racks and the ama inside the car. Those TI ama are too long for that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am sleeping on board a lot and have more or less solved a lot of problems you can have when staying aboard for days. Normally I am sleeping in the front seat on a sleeping mat/pad, which I have laid on a trampoline I have put over the front seat. If necessary I also use a pop-up-tent.

I am usually sleeping quite good that way but I would like to improve the comfort by putting some more soft matters under my body. I think I will buy yet another two sleeping pads, as they work quite well in the not too dry environment. Most other stuff won't fare well in the water that gets in the front seat when sailing or even when not sailing. Lots of things also can get damaged if you lay down on them.

I am not only sleeping in the front seat but also doing different kinds of work, including reading, thinking and writing on my lap top (like right now!).

I would like to hear if someone else is sleeping directly in one of the seats and what you have done to make it more comfortable, without adding to much stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very impressed that you have taken this approach to sleeping on board Crafty. Have you taken any photos of your setup ? Sorry but I’m still trying to picture how you do it. As you know, it’s a real juggling act with weight and bulky sleeping gear if you decide to sleep on board and every design option seems to have advantages and disadvantages. It would be good to see some shots of yours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next