Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HERE is a stateside source for the BlueScrew sand anchors. And the 22" version is HERE.

aussieonyak wrote:
Chekika wrote:
I like those bluescrew sand pegs. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available here in the states.

That gps track was fine, but regarding your flat gps, don't you carry extra batteries or are you still working on you trip recharging system?

Keith

Hey Keith I just checked out the BlueScews website and they do have International ordering for USA and other countries available using Paypal - I just ordered a couple of packets of the screws.
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terry,

Those blue screws would match your sail and hakas, and they might even work to anchor your AI securely down by Dog Key on that sand flat while you hike around catching red fish.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Auger-style tie-out stakes for big dawgs are available at your local pet stores and men's shopping emporiums (hardware stores). I just picked this up on sale for <$10, complete. Going to give it a try at the sandbar.

Oops,.. Here's a tip: these worked great on the sandbar for the AI, but don't leave your pooch tied up there at low tide. :oops: :cry: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You are getting into the spirit of coordinating colors, Keith. Excellent! I am not sure I'll ever catch a red at PAV but I dang sure going to give it another serious try or two!

Chekika wrote:
Terry,

Those blue screws would match your sail and hakas, and they might even work to anchor your AI securely down by Dog Key on that sand flat while you hike around catching red fish.

Keith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to the Hobie forum, just feeling my way. I've been reading all the posts on this topic since I have a TI in British Columbia and want to sleep while anchored instead of on land or on a dock.
My wife and I spend winters in SW Florida and due to the distance from BC we fly. So now we need another TI to sail the Keys and local coasts in the Everglades. Campgrounds here are booked by RV's a year in advance, and the islands are mainly private, National Parks or made of Mangroves. So we need to sleep on the boat, which is my preference anyway, sailing in tidal waters.

Found this forum extremely interesting and have copied notes and photos to my iPad.

I really like the Aka ideas, especially the ones made of aluminum, but can't find the posts on how they were made.
Request: Does the builder, Stringy, have any plans he could post?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Talagunmiak,

There are many places to camp on coastal Everglades and in the 10,000 Island area (Everglades City to Cape Romano) You should look at my long-running AI/TI camping thread: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276 When you decide where you are staying and the area you will be sailing, I can perhaps suggest some camping sites.

I don't have any specific ideas about accessing a TI until you decide where you will be staying.

Regarding hakas, I describe my design and construction in the above thread. The main thread on hakas is NOHUHU's: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645 It is always appealing to think of aluminum over wood hakas, but wood hakas are relatively easy to build and customize. And, they can be light-weight--an important concern if you are camping.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget steel Keith. I'm still an advocate for zinc coated cable tray. Lightest, cheapest, strongest, ugliest Haka's out there but with a foam facelift, beach babes come running to lay on them. I thought the downfall would have been salt water, but not to be. 1 and a half years on and there is no signs of rust.

I seriously can't fault them. The one shown is 175mm ( 7 inch ) wide. Bit narrow so I have just picked up a 300mm wide. Should work out OK.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All good points, Slaughter. I can see some applications for narrow hakas, but the 300 mm will probably be better. I am thinking of another pair: one narrow (hold fishing rods, paddle, long & narrow stuff) & one wide (4 board to use as a table.) W/o the foam those cable trays are definitely ugly.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie Crafte, I am not able to understand as you have said "Beware that life jackets can get damaged by your weight". I have personally experience to sleeping on board with wearing life jackets but i do no think it can damaged by the weight.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Talaguniak wrote:
I really like the Aka ideas, especially the ones made of aluminum, but can't find the posts on how they were made.
Request: Does the builder, Stringy, have any plans he could post?

Welcome Talaguniak,
No plans but details of the haka can be found in Nohuhu's haka thread as Chekika previously posted.
To fit a double tent you need haka around 1.5m wide. My camping platform is a mix of 5 haka:
2x ladder haka as seen on P13,14 of the haka thread
3x 'Versiclad' 38mm aluminium/foam (or refrigeration) panelling haka as detailed on P33, with earlier info on P16,18,19.

If I was to make another set of haka they would be made with the Versiclad panel. They look just as good (or as bad! :wink: ) today as they did when first built. The powder coating shows no signs of weathering and they are light, strong and float. They are very easy to make. Get the supplier to rip the full size panel sheet into suitable width haka (30-40cm) and then all you really need is a dropsaw to cut the edge extrusion, which is pop riveted on. Bend some aluminium flatbar into hooks for the front, add padding, then pop rivet them on, along with tube clips for the rear. Job done and no maintenance needed, apart from a quick rinse in freshwater each trip! :)

An even simpler option would be to go with 5 of Slaughter's steel cable trays. Looks like rust isn't going to be the issue we thought it might be.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for responding guys, never actually been on a forum before although I've been using Apple computers since 1984.
Just had my new TI delivered to Bonita Springs FL yesterday, complete with trailer so my brother & I are using his truck, which has a hitch, and not my car, which doesn't have one yet, to take the boat for "Sea Trials" today. First time for him. He sails a Nonsuch 30 on Lake Ontario, a single unstayed mast with one sail, so should be easy to sail the Island, just a little more wet. :-/
We're off to Lover's Key on the Gulf of Mexico, about a 10 mi drive from my Double-wide here.
Now I can put your ideas on akas to work.
What are the tricks to posting an image from Photobucket? What do you copy from Photobucket to paste between the "Ing" brackets ? Can't get my signature photo of the sealskin Inuit kayak to show.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have any of you campers tried "Starcraft" for Hakas?
I can get this white plastic in Haka size 72"X12"X1/2", which is similar to plastic cutting boards, 4 for $200.00 delivered. It can be cut, filed, sanded and drilled. Totally waterproof and will not warp or discolour. Sounds ideal for camping on board. Anyone with experience on this stuff ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Talaguniak wrote:
Have any of you campers tried "Starcraft" for Hakas?
I can get this white plastic in Haka size 72"X12"X1/2", which is similar to plastic cutting boards, 4 for $200.00 delivered. It can be cut, filed, sanded and drilled. Totally waterproof and will not warp or discolour. Sounds ideal for camping on board. Anyone with experience on this stuff ?

That will likely sag mid span.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have a weblink to the product Talaguniak ? Is this the stuff you're talking about ?

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/deck.handbook4.htm

If so this would be pretty good to read before you hand over the cash.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, Slaughter, this is the stuff I was referring to, I put the wrong name down.

King StarBoard® AS is a high-density polyethylene, anti-skid, marine-grade building sheet.
Now Available for Upgrade with King FlameShield for our ASTM E-84 Class A or B Flame/Smoke Compliance and CAN/ULC-S102 for Canadian Compliance

I used it once to build a spare rudder for my Ocean going 38 tri. See this sailing forum.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55 ... 817-4.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/mis ... erties.pdf

I'm just trying to see what thickness I'll need to support 200 lb. Might need supports under it every 18".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next