Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definatly a project for the new year...

Glad to see it has seen action.

Did you anchor or use a mooring?
How far from the beach were you?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used a stakeout pole. You can see it in the photo in front of the port side rear aka. There is no beach where I stayed - it's just a little tidal inlet upstream from the main Stingray Bay. When I set up, the water was ankle deep. Around midnight, I found the boat was lying on mud. In the morning, when the photo was taken, the water was about 2 feet deep. All the beaches seemed to have boats moored offshore. I wanted some seclusion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Hennessey looks the way to go. Which models have you used? I am considering mounting it slightly diagonally across the boat and leaving the mast in place. Any thoughts on doing this?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The model I have is an Expedition Asym. I think you need to mount it on the crossbrace bars, for stability, so I can't envision an arrangement where there would be room for the fly with the mast up. I'll be interested to see if you come up with something. WARNING: Even in the warm Australian climate, I've found it necessary to get the undercover/underpad kit, to make the hammock fully usable. That virtually doubles the price.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris
Where exactly is Stingray Bay? I can't find it using Google Earth :?
Looks like you didn't use your half tramps :?:
I guess you didn't have grilled fish for breaKfast but I would be interested to know how you managed this important matter. :roll:
It's truly amazing to think that this is even possible.
Did you have your anchor light on :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Chris
Where exactly is Stingray Bay? I can't find it using Google Earth :?
Looks like you didn't use your half tramps :?:
I guess you didn't have grilled fish for breaKfast but I would be interested to know how you managed this important matter. :roll:
It's truly amazing to think that this is even possible.
Did you have your anchor light on :lol:

I just found Stingray Bay - in Smiths creek near Cottage Point - on this site:
http://www.escapology.com.au/guides/jerusbay.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, that's it Mickey.
Here's a shot I took of the bay as I was leaving in the early morning:

I didn't bother with the tramps, because I already had enough stuff loaded on the boat for camping, I wasn't carrying a passenger and I wasn't planning on hiking out. As to breakfast, no problem - I just cruised up to the Cottage Point Kiosk for coffee and croissants with the glitterati (they all arrive up from Sydney by seaplane - yours for only $420 return, with a meal thrown in :) ).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris - nice photo. That would have been a very pleasant early morning pedal.
I seem to recall the seaplane pilot displayed some quite remarkable skill ferrying the customers to land - or did staff from the Kiosk collect them in a rubber ducky?? Kinda sounds a little undignified to have to climb into a dinghy :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
I seem to recall the seaplane pilot displayed some quite remarkable skill ferrying the customers to land - or did staff from the Kiosk collect them in a rubber ducky?? Kinda sounds a little undignified to have to climb into a dinghy :roll:

Goodness no Mickey, the planes taxi right up to the jetty. I didn't have to do much pedalling in the morning - there was a nice stiff breeze blowing when I got out into the main channel. I even managed to fang down to Bobbin Head and back before breakfast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah - I really couldn't imagine the dinghy concept :wink:
Bobbin Head & back before breaky!!!! WOW :!:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
The model I have is an Expedition Asym. I think you need to mount it on the crossbrace bars, for stability, so I can't envision an arrangement where there would be room for the fly with the mast up. I'll be interested to see if you come up with something. WARNING: Even in the warm Australian climate, I've found it necessary to get the undercover/underpad kit, to make the hammock fully usable. That virtually doubles the price.

Thanks for the info. I was mulling over welding a purpose built receiver on the crossbars that would locate the posts and aim them slightly off to one side of the mast , with the rear end offset to the opposite side, so the bulk of my weight would be central in the middle. I had wondered whether the flysheet would be a problem. Have you gone for the larger flysheet?
Useful info regarding the need for the undercover.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rokraider wrote:
Thanks for the info. I was mulling over welding a purpose built receiver on the crossbars that would locate the posts and aim them slightly off to one side of the mast , with the rear end offset to the opposite side, so the bulk of my weight would be central in the middle. I had wondered whether the flysheet would be a problem. Have you gone for the larger flysheet?

I'm using a standard flysheet. It is quite adequate, even in driving wind and rain. If you get the PVC pipes too far out of alignment, they tend to flex sideways (using 40mm PN12 pipe). If you're into metal fabrication, you could maybe use aluminium pipes, but I haven't found it too much of a problem keeping the pipes more or less aligned and having my weight slightly off-centre.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a couple of old Carbon fibre bowsprits from dinghies over the years, I am thinking of using them for the posts and simply weld a couple of small spigots to locate them on the crossbars.
What sort of wall thickness are your plastic pipes? I have this image of you slowly sinking into the sunset in hot weather if you get a side loading on the pipes when the plastic is hot. Now that would make a good video! :wink:
I have sent an e mail to Hennessy asking some more questions before placing an order. I included a link to this thread, so maybe they will join in the discussion?
I was looking at the new Deep Jungle with the side zipper and double layer floor that you can slide a pad into to keep warm. My concerns are that the zip could be fragile / not suitable for a marine environment. I will post their advice when I get a reply.

Proving to be an interesting topic!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My pipes are 3mm wall thickness. They only flex a little when out of alignment. I don't get the feeling they are about to fail. My only concern with the Deep Jungle hammock is that entry is from the side and not through the bottom. That could be a little awkward, given the narrowness of the boat (speaking of potentially amusing videos :lol: ). I guess you could get around that by using a trampoline.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree, the side zipper may not be the best option and the video would be entertaining. :) I will be using tramps with it, considering going full width on the tramps with the outer 18" being able to be collapsed in the event of needing to paddle etc.

3mm sidewall on the pipes is pretty beefy, I imagine they will be plenty strong enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 31  Next