Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How much do these sleep aboard add one weigh? I'm working out an army cot derivative with section sawed off and such. I'd like to keep the bed at 20 lbs or under.

I do think that for I overnight excursions the sleep aboard option is more than luxury but in some cases a very safe alternative to arriving where landfall is found to be off limits for any number of reasons and adding miles to search for a new place is just beyond exertion. While a lot of folks don't monitor there water front properties, some do even jealously so its a good idea. Tidal flats stranding you far from dry land is another reason - and one that isn't necessarily obvious through pre trip scouting and research. My personal hunch is that Hobie eventually will have sleep aboard add ons.

I applaud the efforts in this great thread.

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good question about the weight Pete. I'll weigh the hammock posts and get back to you. The hammock itself shouldn't be counted as it would be carried onboard anyway. I think what you are after is what the weight difference is between sleeping on board compared to sleeping on land.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here you go Pete. For a hammock setup the only extra requirement are these 2 support poles.

total weight = 3.6 kgs or 7.9 lbs.

As I said, everything else I would take anyway, so this is the only extra weight that I can think of.

3.6 kgs......I reckon it's worth it !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok Slaughter, I will try to give you a few pictures. It is not very advanced.

First you take any stuff that is soft and won't get damaged by either water nor the weight of a human body and put in the front seat. I use a couple of big tarps and some other stuff. Then you fasten a Hobie trampoline above. You need to add a stick in the front end and tie it to the akas or to the pipe between them. In the other end of the trampoline you just use the ordinary clips of the trampoline. Put the trampoline assymetrical and you will still be able to reach the controls on the right side (you might have to take away the steering control on the left side). A sleeping pad is highly recommended, as you will get wet and cold without one.

If you´re tall you just take away the peddles in the rear seat and put something there to have your legs on. You can also turn your body 180 degrees if you want to look at the opposite direction. It is easy to sit up. You might lean against the mast if you like to.

Of course this is just a crude solution. I would like to have a trampoline which is especially constructed for this task.

Here follows the pictures:

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/gcraf ... sort=3&o=3

Last edited by Hobie Crafte on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:08 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gothcha. Now I get it. The photos tell it all, thanks. I spose it's all about comfort and if you're getting a good nights sleep with virtually no extra weight increase, brilliant. Do you realise that if you have slept many nights 'roughing it' like this, and are sleeping directly on board and using no other accessories such as hammock poles or hakas, that you now hold the World Record for sleeping the longest period unaided by extra equipment.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=46705&hilit=world+record Now is not the time to be shy. Stake your claim, everyone else has.

( You may get a challenge from Dogslife which you will have to sort out in a pub car park somewhere. )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Many kinds of sea bags might be useful as cushions if you put your clothes and other soft stuff in them. They hopefully will last and there will be no extra weight or space requirements.

Another idea would be to use a few small inflateable fenders.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would really appreciate if someone (for example Hobie) can create and sell a trampoline whose main purpose is to be used as a resting place in the (front) seat. It will work well even for tall people, even if they have to put their legs outside the seat. You can also store a lot of stuff under this trampoline.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that Hobie would be more likely to concentrate on items which would be more popular (like hakas, hint hint :mrgreen), but have you approached local sailmakers? They have the materials, skill and tools to make something to exactly meet your needs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't see how hakas solves any of my problems. I think Hobie should try to speed up development in several areas. Their patent on the peddles will probably only last a few years more and then competition could get fierce. I can't see that Hobie does very much to make the Hobie Islands very popular. They could for example start producing them in Europe also, as that would make the boats much cheaper for European customers. Swedish customers will have to pay 25% Vat. even on the transport from California, which isn't too cheap! The present prize in Sweden is 55.000 kr which is about 8450 dollars, while it costs about 5500 dollars in the US. That's 3000 dollars less.

Local sail makers will probably charge me 1000-2000 dollars for a simple little trampoline. Just my guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm quite happy that they are made in the States. At least we can be guaranteed of the quality. There seems to be current trend and a huge temptation for CEO's to chase the bucks and move manufacturing to China.
A Chinese Hobie ??? Now that would be a disaster.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a video of my latest multi-night voyage with the Hobie TI. Note the placement of the tent across the tramps, hanging over the land-side (slack above your head) and I fill the cockpit with gear, life-jackets, etc. Think recliner, but more comfortable! If there is any threat of waves, you'll need to pull the main hull above the wave-reach to get a good nights sleep.
http://youtu.be/m_0Br-fdvMA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't understand where you put your head. Beware that life jackets can get damaged by your weight. Even your head can be too heavy for them.

As there are loads of islands where I use to go I always sleep on the leeward side of them. I'm always anchored a few meters out in the water. Which might be a bit dangerous to the boat if big waves unexpectedly are made by ships passing by.

Occasionally the wind turns around during the night. Then I might have to move to another shore in the middle of the night. Which is not much of a problem if I'm at a small island. It gives a little excitement to life, but a few minutes later I am back to sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have never heard of a (presumably) foam-filled lifejacket being damaged by someone lying on it, certainly not if using one as a pillow. Can you please provide the source of your info?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
I have never heard of a (presumably) foam-filled lifejacket being damaged by someone lying on it, certainly not if using one as a pillow. Can you please provide the source of your info?

As far as I remember it was the information I got when I bought a rather expensive lifejacket from Neil Pryde ten years ago. I can't check it now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure if any of you have seen it yet - but one of the competitors to Hobie ( Windrider17) have introduced a special platform design specifically for camping on board or as a fishing platform. They sell the plans to build this but as far as I know they don't make it possibly because of high tooling costs and low demand. Obviously the design of the windrider is quite different to the Hobie but there are a lot of similarities too and this could give some of you some ideas for designing one for the AI or TI.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-IaHTwqcE[/youtube]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next