Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Thanks mate ...and thanks for not sharing that "other story"! :wink: :lol:

Pretty sure this involved a fella named Percy, who was pointed the wrong direction one night… :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok ... getting back on topic!
(and thanks, good to hear from you CGM)

After the success of my solo AI trip, my wife Kathy warmed to the idea of sleeping onboard the TI. She could see the advantages for exploring Cowan Creek, where there are no official campsites. We went looking for a suitable tent that might fit under the bimini. I wanted a freestanding tent with 2 side entry doors, good bug protection/ventilation and easy pitching. We settled on this:
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-s ... 1921#Cross

With one week to go of my annual leave I spent a couple of days adapting the bimini and haka I already had into a suitable TI platform for the tent, adding foam sections to level off the floor. A tryout in the carport worked so we packed for a 4 day trip.

There is a lot more gear needed for 2 people sleeping onboard. To make a wide enough platform I had to use all 5 haka. To make it comfortable we took 2 thermarests as well as 2 yoga mats. The TI handled the extra gear really well and had plenty of freeboard. The black drybag at the stern contains all our cooking gear. The gray drybag all our sleeping gear and tent.

The cooler sits in the front drivewell when sailing and is moved to a haka if we need to pedal.

We stopped for afternoon tea in a sheltered bay. The haka make stops like this easy and comfortable.

Arriving at our destination we repositioned the haka to set the platforms up:

The yoga mats are positioned over the outer haka under the tent to fill in any gaps:

With two people assembling the tent, the mesh inner went up easily, though one of us had to get wet. It's not really possible to stay dry putting all this together on the TI.
The alloy tent poles drop into holes in the haka at the front:

...and into an alloy pole at the rear:

Last step, throw over the fly and clip it on:

The view from inside the tent:

We had a great 4 days camping trip. We stayed moored in the one place and cooked on a rock platform near the TI. We spent the time exploring the creek, swimming, snorkelling and bushwalking. It was great returning to a very comfortable bed each night on the water. We had visited the area 2 years ago and roughed it, sleeping in bivvy's under an overhang. Kathy commented how much more comfortable she was this time.

It rained on the third night but the bimini gave us good rain protection. It made packing up easy in the rain and later having breakfast under the shelter was a real bonus.

The trip home was into a 20 knot headwind at times, with heavy rain but we made it back OK, thanks to the assistance of the awesome mirage drives!

A great end to my holidays! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, how impressive is that? Which part of the Cowan Creek complex did you camp in Stringy? It always sounds funny calling it a "creek", when it is such an extensive system of waterways.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, that is a stunning makeover! The bimini looks like an OEM option, as does the tent. I think you just won the haka to the max award! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great job, Stringy! I think you have redefined "island" in the name Adventure Island.

An image of your track would be great, if available.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Home away from home :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Absolutely awesome! Some of you guys could earn a living making and selling aftermarket stuff for AIs/TIs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well played Stringy! Everywoman's dream for a second honeymoon,.. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Such an impressive setup Stringy. And such a perfect section of waterways to test it all out. Did you remember the SD card this time ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the positive comments Chrisj, Tony, Keith, CGM, Terry, Nohuhu and Russ. :)

Chris,
It was just a bit upstream of where you spent the night in your hammock at Stingray Bay. It was your original post that inspired me to visit the area as I'd never heard of it before. This was my 3rd trip back so thanks for the heads up. We should get together with Russ and anyone else interested in an onboard overnighter sometime!

Keith,
I only have the track for the forward journey as I forgot to turn the GPS off and it was flat for the return journey. This trip was only about 10kms as I wanted to see how the TI handled all the extra gear and bad weather was forecast at the end of the week so we launched from the closest ramp possible:

Nohuhu,
Yep, I spoiled her this time. Here's where we stayed 2 years ago:

Slaughter,
You'll have to do an overnighter there when you get the chance. And yes the pole shots reveal that the sd card was in the GoPro this time!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought it worth mentioning how I anchored this time. Previously the Cooper anchors had trouble holding in the very soft sand.
This trip I tried a stakeout pole and it worked much better:

I also trialled these Bluescrew sand pegs:
I was very impressed with them. So simple to screw into the soft sand, yet I couldn't pull them out when they were screwed all the way in. Amazing holding power and the kayak never budged, even in some strong wind gusts. A great lightweight anchor system for soft sand. 8)
More info here:
http://www.bluescrewtentpegs.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like those bluescrew sand pegs. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available here in the states.

That gps track was fine, but regarding your flat gps, don't you carry extra batteries or are you still working on you trip recharging system?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith - What about THIS for a sand anchor? It isn't as long as the above, but it's looks like it might work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That anchor looks like it might work underwater like Stringy's Bluescrews, but it probably depends upon how long they are. Any water current will eat away the sand around underwater stakes, so they have to have some length to work. These 12" pegs work above water in soft sand and and are always available from Campmor http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21768 At 6/US$3.99, they are a good buy.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a bucket load of those, Keith. I thought you were looking for those things striingy used to anchor his boat. I have a Capt. Dick's stakeout pole and rarely us it when kayak fishing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next