Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Stringy,

Sleeping in-line with the hull, on top of hull, is the only 'sustainable' way for sleeping afloat, and I have spent a lot of thinking time to come up with a solution. You stretcher does it! Thnx for the R & D, and I enjoy your vids. I'm experimenting with voice-over too, ends in deletes, but I'll give it another try.

YaqAttaque

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well thought out Mark. What a setup. That bimini is such a useful bit of gear both on the boat or on land. And the location looks spot on. No wonder you stayed so long. May have to get you to show us exactly where.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the comments Keith, YakAttaque and Russ.

Keith,
Yes, that REI chair is very similar and a bit cheaper, though if you look at some of the gear reviews where both are tested the Helinox comes out on top for comfort and quality. These seats have made camp much more comfortable and they pack down to a tiny bag. So much better than the seats we used to take.

YakAttaque,
Chrisj and Slaughter use their hammocks for sleeping on board and they are very happy with them, so there are other solutions. Each to their own. I'd been looking at other stretchers but they were all very heavy, bulky and wobbly when fully assembled.The Helinox stretcher is very solid once tensioned and it is easy to slip some conduit in the sleeve alongside the pole to make a frame for supporting the tent poles:

Slaughter,
Mate, the Bimini made a great shelter for the kitchen and didn't move in the strong winds we had some days. The dome made a big difference to comfort as well. We had some rain and it didn't bother us at all.
I'd be happy to go back to that campsite. I reckon we should organise another overnighter or two at some stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’d be really keen to get up that way. Alan has been onto me for ages about a 3 day sail / pedal from that ferry at Mungo to Shoal Bay. He has much the same setup as yourself as far as 4WD with my trailer. May need some thought.
Did you have to leave the car at a remote location for the duration of your trip, and was that a concern ? ( not that we have any crime in Australia for anyone else reading this ).
I did a bit of a read on the Helinox gear. Very impressive. It would be good to see it in the flesh.

( BTW, did you see this. http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2014 ... al-landing
I finished up taking out the big prize. Pretty stoked. )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm definiterly up for the Myall river trip. Very interested in hearing of the safest place to leave car and trailer though (only theoretically of course :)). Last year I sailed from the campground nearest the ocean across the lake to Mungo, and had a lovely lunch on this pristine beach near the Mungo ferry, even enjoying reclining deck chairs. Only later did I discover that the white sand had been imported by the owners of the Myall Shores Resort, and we were trespassing!

Slaughter, your camping chair looks very comfy, but I suspect it might be a little tricky to pack on your AI (congrats on a brilliant photo though)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="stringy"]
...but that's another story) I came across their Cot One stretcher.
For some strange reason I seem to recall the movie "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: Very perceptive mate. Looks like Bob's only got one leg.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great stuff you two!
The tent is strictly a two person only though!
Tony, we visited that same area. I didn't know the sand was imported. There's plenty of it up there in other spots. After 12 days camping on it we brought a fair bit of it back in all our gear.

Congrats Russ on a great pic and winning the comp!
Typical Slaughter, love the caption ...shades of 'my secret island' vid you did. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

# Stringy

I ordered a camping bed made of aluminium for just a third of your price. Seems like I got the last one, as the product has disappeared from the store, so I can't give you a link to it. Not at that store at least. I dont know how well it will work for my purposes, but I had to try.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please post some pics when you can Hobie Crafte. I'm interested to see what you got.
I did a lot of research into stretchers and chose the Helinox for it's light weight, small pack size, ease of assembly, only 3 supports and rock solid feel when assembled. The lever system gets the fabric as tight as a drum.
The only other stretcher that came close in weight and packed size was the Thermarest Ultralite
...but it is nowhere near as easy to put together and would be difficult to mount on the Island.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was recently able to get away for my first solo overnighter on the TI. All my previous solo trips have been with the AI, but with a view to upgrading next year and possibly downsizing my AI to an Adventure (Revo 16) I've been keen to see if soloing the TI and sleeping on board will work as well as on the AI.
I have done a few solo sailing day trips and have come to prefer the TI over the AI. The negatives with having to use the trailer and the extra bulk when carting are outweighed by the better sailing characteristics and multiple seating options. Being able to paddle from the rear seat is great when negotiating shallows. The big test was how it would perform loaded up for camping.

I'm pleased to report that it was all manageable and the TI has become my Island of choice for soloing.
I returned to the secluded little bay that I have previously used for testing.

The extra capacity, greater freeboard and more storage made sleeping on board a better option than on the AI.
Set up was quicker as the haka now remain in place and I don't need a third haka for walking around on. Set up time is now comparable to land based camping with just the 3 across hull supports extra.

The Helinox stretcher was easy to assemble on water and remained dry, like the tent, being higher above the water.

With a bit of rain and light wind initially for my return trip I decided to pedal back and leave the bimini up.

The winds picked up later but I wanted to test how manageable the TI was pedaling, loaded up, into a strong breeze. Even with the added windage of the bimini it was all good!

The only thing that proved harder to do with the TI was setting up the bimini as the ama are so long it's difficult to reach the padeyes and remain dry. I had to stand in the water to get this done though thinking about it after if I had repositioned a haka I think I could get this done staying on board.
I'll have to try that next time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great Mark! Maybe you could avoid problems using the distant padeyes on the amas by just having a loop back to the centre hull when planning a camping trip. You could then send the bimini straps out on the loops to the extremities.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Love it. The perfect 'sleep on board' design couldn't be that far away now :wink: With the TI, I can see how that little bit extra freeboard and real estate would make all the difference.

How do you do the connections for the stretcher frame Stringy ? How do you make them quick connect joints ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Tony and Russ,

Tony- that's a great idea re the loop. 8)
Thanks, I'll be trying that for sure.

Russ- not sure what bit you're talking about but on the previous page are more details.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On a related note, I trust you guys took advantage of the recent Aldi drybag sale! $6.99 for each of two package of 5, 10 and 20 litre drybags was too tasty to miss, even though I had already bought another 20 litre one on eBay. I think I now have more than a dozen sitting there ready for some camping action even after stowing tent, inflatable mattresses, sleeping bags and butane stove! I even bought some plastic "star-picket style" tent pegs which are infinitely superior to those dopey bent wire ones.

I only wish I had put >everything< into dry bags for my recent outback trip, as the dust sealing on the trailer didn't :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next