Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MaryJeanOcsan09 wrote:
Can I know the size of that free scout tent for every order that we can get? I am looking for a tent for us to use it in our incoming camping this year. I hope this is the right place to ask a question like this one. Thanks in advance.

Hi, The Scout is one of their smaller hammocks. Details are on their website here: http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html
SCOUT
2 lb. 11.5oz. / 1230g
Height Limit:
Up to 5'10"ft / up to 177.8cm
Weight limit:
200 lbs. / 90.72kg / 14.29 stone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I contacted Hennessey for their suggestion on which setup would suit me best. I sent them a link showing this thread. This the reply I got back. I have posted it here as it may help others thinking of going the same route.

Hi Chris,
That's an amazing idea. If you are going to try and replicate the concept shown in the photograph I would advise getting a hammock with a bottom entry. The advantage of that entry system over a side entry is that you never unbalance the hammock like you would with a side entry. Given your height and weight I would recommend the Explorer Ultralite or Explorer Deluxe models. If you are on a budget the Expedition would give you similar results with slightly less leg room for $60 to $80 less than the Explorers.

If you want serious weather protection you need to add insulation to the hammock bottom or bring a pad inside the hammock with you. Having the insulation on the outside of the hammock is preferable because it leaves you free to move around inside the hammock without disturbing the position of the pad. The Undercover will fit inside the Snake skins with the hammock but the pad will have to be removed before the Snake skins are closed. Having the insulation system on the hammock will mean more fussing around when you decide it's time for bed but you'll be happier once you're inside.

If you think you'll experience "driving rain" and want some additional protection you can get the larger Hex Fly. It can be substituted for the standard rain fly for no extra charge with the Explorer hammocks and for a $30 charge with the Expeditoin. The Hex Fly is considerably larger but it also does not fit inside of the Snake skins with the hammock. It runs on a separate suspension from the hammock so again that means more messing about which is probably a little awkward in tiny catamaran or trimaran. Or perhaps I'm mistaken and it's not awkward. From my point of view I can see the advantage to being able to use just the standard set up with the Snake skins like it was displayed in the photo on Hobie Cat forums. The hammock could be stowed or set up quickly with minimal knot tying or rigging. But there would also be time when you would wish you had the insulation and extra large rain fly so it could be in your interests to have both kinds of setup, eventually.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

James

Hennessy Hammock
637 Southwind Road
Galiano Island, BC V0N 1P0
1 888 539 2930 - 250 539 2930
[email protected]
www.hennessyhammock.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, that pretty well sums it up. My only comments would be:

- The larger fly may require longer poles to fit on the boat. I have found the standard fly keeps everything dry, even in high winds and torrential rain.

- You really need to keep even the standard fly on a separate suspension to the hammock, when using it on the boat. The reason is that the poles inevitably flex a little once your weight is applied and that takes the tension out of the fly and makes it sag. Not such a problem when suspending the hammock from trees, as they don't give. The other advantage of the separate ridge line is that it stops the fly losing shape through stretching when wet. The mirage drive makes a perfect weight to maintain constant tension in the fly ridge line.

- I have stopped using the snake skins now that I have the underpad fitted. They are most useful for hiking, when you want everything as compact as possible. I now just wrap the fly around the hammock and stuff the whole lot into a dry sack, along with my sleeping bag, which is also not tightly compacted. It is then actually easier to stuff the whole thing into the front cargo hold, because it can adapt to the shape of the hold.

- I don't know your height and weight. I'm 5'10" and 170 lb and I find the Expedition quite roomy enough. I don't know if I'd pay more for an ultralight model, as a few grams less weight is immaterial when carrying it on a boat, as opposed to backpacking.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

More useful info there Chris, I hadn't considered the poles flexing slackening the tension on the rainfly, I like your method of using the drive unit to keep it tensioned.
I am 6' x 200lbs. I would like a bit of extra room to be able to take stuff in the hammock with me. We don't appear to have an importer in the UK which means I can't actually go and physically check them out to decide which one would suit me best.
I will try and make my final selection today and get it ordered.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ended up going for the Camo Survivor Universal and the Supershelter 2 overcover/ pad. It came with free Snakeskins and straps and a free Scout model 90 complete with Snakeskins and straps as well. I will now spend the Xmas break figuring out how I will mount it. I am considering setting it slightly off centre so that the AI stays leaning on one side. I have visions of it constantly rocking from one ama to the other otherwise.
I am a little concerned about the loadings it will put on the crossbars, which are only held to the hull by 4 x 1/4" (6mm) allen bolts. I would really like to put a brace between them to stop them ripping the nutserts out of the hull.

I ordered the Hennessy from their website in Canada. It arrived the nextday! Unbelievable service! They do not appear to have a UK importer, so it presumably came from Canada overnight?
I have to say, the instructions are rather vague if you have not seen one setup before, a few diagrams would be useful. However, it looks well thought out and the quality looks very good. I hope to give it a dry run this weekend, inside one of my workshops.
As I dont have any suitable trees handy (plus we are in the middle of a heavy snow fall currently), I will have to sling it in the workshop between 2 of my 4 posts on a vehicle ramp. I am looking forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi all , found this interesting site ....www.myadventureisland.com [tent on a boat]
you would have to be keen though , i would prefer solid ground .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rokraider wrote:
I am a little concerned about the loadings it will put on the crossbars, which are only held to the hull by 4 x 1/4" (6mm) allen bolts. I would really like to put a brace between them to stop them ripping the nutserts out of the hull.

Rokraider, if it's any reassurance, my hammock is suspended from each PVC pipe at 2 points, from 6mm eyebolts. If I'm not mistaken, the shearing force on the crossbar bolts would be equal to the shearing force on the eyebolts multiplied by the cosine of the angle of the pipe with the horizontal. At about 45 degrees, that's 0.7. As there are twice as many crossbar bolts as eyebolts, each crossbar bolt has only 0.7 x 0.5 = 0.35 times the load of each eyebolt. I guess that provides a kind of sacrificial fail-safe mechanism (not that I thought of it in advance :roll: ).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a quick note from the original poster of this post : THANKS everyone ! Great ideas and hands-on action !
I ended up buying a Claytor jungle hammock (for its side entry as I didn't really like the fixed bug net design on the Hennessy, in case of emergency, plus I enjoy other things such as stock double bottom layers, camo colors etc) and I'm going to use the PVC pipes as well.
I actually didn't find any better than PN 12 pipes (40mm * 3 mm thick) so far.
In the coming days, it should be done yet, so I hope I'll post my own version too !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I´m new to this very interesting forum.

I also have a Clarck Jungle Hammock and I can only say - this Hammock is really wonderful.

The only thing I need now is a Hobie Adventure Island - I will order it very soon, can´t wait to get it, I live directly at a beautiful lake and want to make nice trips with my big dog :-)

Best regards from Germany
Rudi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
I finally got around to camping out on the boat. I stayed overnight at Stingray Bay in Kuringai National Park. Sublime.

hey chrisj I was wondering if you had any specifics as to the dementions of your set up. I'm trying to build a version of your hammock set up.

What is the diameter of your PVC supports?
How long are your PVC sections?
How did you tie you guy out lines to secure the hammock when it is set up? (where did you tie them?, did you tie them or use binder?)
and do you have any pointers as to how to build a set a set up like yours?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Post about my jib
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sterling, I'll try and put together a bit of a photo-essay on how my hammock is set up. In the meantime, quick answers to your questions:
The PVC pipe is 40mm diameter, PN12 grade (pressure pipe). The pipes are 6 feet long. The guys have small loops on the ends which hook over the posts on the akas where the ama bungees go.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Chris,

Did you end up using it on Broughton Island? If so how did it go?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, it worked just fine David. The shore break was a bit strong, so I pulled the boat up onto the soft sand and set it up there. There are pics of it on the Broughton Island log.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Chris,

very nice hammock-setup.

I tried to do it nearly the same way (though with the mast installed) with my North American Clark jungle hammock, but I think it will be too much hassle raising this construction while I´m on the water (16 ropes, the rain fly alone has already 8 ropes).

So I tried an on-board-tent-solution with a free-standing one man tent (The North Face Particle 13, not built any more). The poles of this tent are not too long, therefore it´s not very difficult raising the tent while on board. The entry of the tent is on the backside positioned at the inner half of the right trampoline.

If it should be fun sleeping in a tent on the AI, I will buy the ultraflat Vaude Bivi II tent (new for 2010, double-wall, double-entrance, very short poles). It will take the same position as the Particle 13, but the entrance will be above the main hull.

Pictures of Hammock and Particle 13 on AI: http://gallery.me.com/docslaw#100049&bg ... &view=grid

Another idea is to use a bedchair (angling equipment, very low-above-ground-version), the feet of the bedchair on the tramps near the left and right side of the main hull. To give me some shelter from sun or rain I will use a tarp wing, going from the left to the right ama, using a rope in the center line of the main hull to hold the tarp wing at a comfortable distance to the bedchair. This is a heavy solution, because a bedchair alone weighs about 8 kg (ultralight version).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi zornzorro, I'm wondering why 8 ropes for the fly. Is it octagonal? My fly has only 4 attachment points, but leaves no room to leave the mast up. I've set it up in deep water and it is a bit of a hassle, but only takes about 10 minutes. I'm not really interested in sleeping far offshore, so I find it easier to set it up in shallow water, or set it up on the land, then paddle out a bit. All my attachment points are pre-tied loops.
I haven't tried a tent, but Surfoos has: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13400&start=15. He may well have the honour of being the first person to sleep overnight on an AI.
Good luck with your experiments :D.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next