Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! in october i am planning a trip to cross the sea of cortez from sonora to baja, by jump island by island

here is a link with the image of our plan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bnhuqte4iyj1 ... a.jpg?dl=0

its a 4 day trip, 40 km each day

we will do it with my tandem island ( with sail ) and a hobie kayak with two mirage pedals

i was wondering if i could easily do 40 kms every day? for what i saw we could easily do 10 kms every 1.5 hours, so in total about 6 to 7 hours to do 40 kms, we were thinking waking starting by 5 or 6 am and finishing by 12 reaching our destination... what you all think on this plan?

of course we will have to travel with our food, camping gear and lots of water.. any idea of cleaning salt water for drinking just in case?

i would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions thank you!

Rogelio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Rogelio

Sounds like a great trip.

A few points you may wish to consider:

1. Wind direction & strength:

Were I live (Gippsland Lakes, Victoria, Australia) when planning a trip, I have to deal with wind direction, and wave direction when estimating the time to travel from A to B.

As you would know, there are good weather apps that show:-
* wind strength and direction
* wave swell direction, height & frequency
* tides
etc
They usually allow you to scrub through the next week showing the changes most likely to occur.

Today’s “Windy App”. https://windy.app/forecast2/spot/634466 ... mexico/map suggests (over the next few days,) a head wind for your entire day 1. Tandem Islands don’t point vary close to the wind so you would need to do about double the distance tacking. I have a 34 lb electric motor, & a 50 Amp hr lithium Ion battery which gives me 20-30 km range (& a 200W solar panel & charger to extend this) You may be able to get your hands on a 1 or 2 hp gas motor to deal with annoying winds but the noise & fumes need to be considered. You can get by without a motor but for open sea trips it makes it easier & perhaps safer (not sure about having gas onboard though! )

2. Water;
To obtain fresh from sea water you will need a Still or a Reverse Osmosis tool of some sort. Some life boats have solar stills on board and you can buy these. Also you can make a solar still with clear plastic sheet but I would strongly suggest you practice this before departure. Depending on the weather & your exertions, you will need at least 2 & most likely 4 L of water per person per day. If relying on a still, it would need to produce this much. Also a still is quite hard to keep working while sailing so in most cases you would need to be stationary & have the sun. There are lots of examples on the web.

3. Distance
You should be able to make these distances. Of course as you would know you may have to adjust each days km according to the weather. If you have no wind for an entire day, you probably won't peddle at your estimated speed but you do have all day to do it. Hopefully you are young enough & fit enough to do this?

Have a great trip - wish I was there !