Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trips around Sydney
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
Are you going out tomorrow evening (January 20)? I'll be in Sydney, so will try to make it.

I expect to be on the ramp at WSC by 6:00pm. Call me if you can make it. You can drive down driveway on east side of WSC to the ramp to unload and rig up. Plenty parking nearby.

Last edited by okz00k on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I Can't make it tonight but I'm going to try harder in the next couple of weeks. Going to try to get out this weekend subject to being on-call.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:
I expect to be on the ramp at WSC by 6:00pm. Call me on 0425 282584 if you can make it. You can drive down driveway on east side of WSC to the ramp to unload and rig up. Plenty parking nearby.
At this stage, all systems are go Det. I'll ring you later this afternoon to confirm.

Cowsgomoo wrote:
I Can't make it tonight but I'm going to try harder in the next couple of weeks. Going to try to get out this weekend subject to being on-call.
That's a shame David - it's been too long. Maybe another trip up, to further sample the joys of Broken Bay, is in order. Of course, if you get that hammock, Cowan Waters Marine Park beckons.......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:

That's a shame David - it's been too long. Maybe another trip up, to further sample the joys of Broken Bay, is in order. Of course, if you get that hammock, Cowan Waters Marine Park beckons.......

Wouldn't mind a trip around Lion Island sometime. We could watch the seals getting eaten by the sharks...

Yes the hammock project is still being looked at too. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Four AIs on Sydney Harbour at once.

What an evening - great company on the harbour followed by good food and lots of AI chat.

ChrisJ was rigging up as I emerged from the WSC club house, changed into my sailing togs. I left work early and called in at Whitworths to pick up a $12.50 PFD (left mine at home in Murrulbateman). In addition to Chris's AI, there were two more on the ramp. DavidH, who keeps two AIs at WSC had both his boats rigged and he and his mate were ready to sail. In addition to leaving my PFD at home, that's also where I left my cart. DavidH lent me one of his and I was able to complete rigging my boat and launch it in reasonable ease.

By the time I got my AI to the ramp, DavidH and his mate were out of sight tacking into a NEster on their way to the Heads, whilst ChrisJ was tootling around the moored boats waiting for me.

Now that we were together, Chris and I tacked out to Shark Island and pottered around for a while.
The twilight races were in full flight and the harbour was full of sail. Chris was not familiar with so much traffic and stayed in close to the south shore whilst I cut across the back of the main fleet and headed out after the other two AIs. I first spotted them tacling in towards Obelisk (clothing optional) Beach and then out the heads. I finally caught up to them off Lady Jane beach as they came back into the harbour.
Shortly after, ChrisJ caught up to us and we had an AI Fleet of 4 sailing down wind off Watsons Bay - four AI sailors grinning from ear to ear.

Image Image Image

GPS Odometer:
Distance travelled: 7.4 NM
Max Speed: 8.4 kts
Moving Average: 5.2 kts

Last edited by okz00k on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bugger Bugger Bugger. I looked out from the eastern side of Garden Island yesterday evening and wished I was out there. Now I really really wished I'd been out there. I better get my act together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The gourmet Japanese meal by the waterfront didn't hurt either :P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
The gourmet Japanese meal by the waterfront didn't hurt either :P.

Great, rub it in why don't you :mrgreen:
:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As I crossed the Harbour Bridge on my way home this afternoon, I was totally overcome by the clear sky and 15-20 kt winds and instead of going to help a friend with a computer problem, my bike diverted to WSC and by 6:15pm I was on the water again.

The evening looked promising with 10-15 kt NNEster to beat into on the way to the heads. With a slight shift in the wind, I got all the way from the southern end of Rose Bay to Olelisk beach on one long tack. Then a couple more tacks and one through a racing fleet heading south from Manly, and I was out the Heads.
As I passed The Gap the wind died completely. I peddled around looking for something to fill the sails, but to no avail and at 7:15pm I turned for home under Mirage power.

Once back inside, I picked up a very slight northerly which propelled the AI along at almost 2 kts - so added peddle assist. Then, just like outside, the wind dissapeared completely. With nav lights rigged, I slowly made my my way back to Rose Bay.
Image Image

On approach to Shark Island the wind came up from the south at around 5 kts and I peacefully tacked back to home in the twilight.

Another great, relaxing ;-) evening on Sydney Harbour.

Image Image Image

GPS Odometer:
Distance travelled 7.9 NM
Max Speed: 6.5 kts (8 kts with no wind, peddling hard riding the swell)
Moving Average: 3.2 kts

Last edited by okz00k on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just chipping in to say how much I am enjoying reading about your trips in Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour sounds better).
I look forward to the day I bring mine up and join you. :roll:
I am currently planning a 6 - 8 wk trip to Europe, staying in Amsterdam and doing lots of side trips to visit friends in UK - including staying the Tower of London :shock: Beefeater mate :wink:
Long-term, we are making plans to live aboard/abroad cruising the waterways of Europe for a couple of years - particularly France and NL.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mickeymouse wrote:
Just chipping in to say how much I am enjoying reading about your trips in Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour sounds better).

You are most welcome - pleased to share my pleasures.

ChrisJ & DavidH, how about adding your story of our trip on 20 Jan?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:

I second that! :)
Great posts okz00k! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got off being on-call Sunday (24 Jan) so I'm getting out for a sail. Anyone else about?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm out CGM. I'm part of a 20 ish car ralley down the putty road tomorrow. I'd like to catch up with you all again soon though and finally meet up with okzook. I'm also working on a hammock / larger tramp. Perhaps we can compare notes. have a great day.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I'm out CGM. I'm part of a 20 ish car ralley down the putty road tomorrow. I'd like to catch up with you all again soon though and finally meet up with okzook. I'm also working on a hammock / larger tramp. Perhaps we can compare notes. have a great day.

Bit short notice I know. Might launch from Balmoral and head to Watsons Bay for Fish & Chips. More chance of Parking the AI on the beach than the car in the carpark....

Open to suggestions though.

Hopefully I can make it Wednesday if the others can get out too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next