Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Max

I have a Pacific Action sail that I've used on a SOT kayak for a few years. In fact it's what lead me to the AI. I've never considered mounting it on the AI, but your pictures have me thinking. I changed the rigging on the PA sail and use two Harken blocks and cleats, which has enabled me to rotate the sail and hold it downward to aid in tacking. Downwind position is the same is advertised. I didn't think the PA sail would add much to the AI's performance. Now I'm wondering what gains it yields in tacking and if the sail would be in the way when coming about? I would normally twist it 180 degree's and recleat it for the next tack.

I'm curious about how you are routing the two lines off the PA sail aft into the AI cockpit. From your pictures, it looks you have them coming to the forward AKA on each side then aft toward you. Do you have blocks on the AKA and cleats in the seating area? One of my reservations to using the PA sail would be the holes required in the AI hull to attach the nylon straps that hold the PA sail in place.

Would like to hear your thoughts and experiences if you've encountered these situations.

Regards

Bob

Gilbert, Arizona :?