Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: compare
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rigging and launching a Wave compared to Al. I find the Wave cumbersome to hoist mast and launch solo. I sail mostly solo and am not a speedster. Can anyone compare the two, rigging, launching and sailing.

Post subject: Re: compare
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have not tried a wave, so cannot offer a real comparison, but my experience with the AI would prompt me to say, you wont find many sailing Tri's that are easier to set up, launch and return to the shore. The furling mainsail and the mirage drive just make life so easy.

Post subject: Re: compare
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AI and Wave take 15-20 min each for me to rig single-handed. the time is spent differently. i carry the AI on the back of my truck with a bed extender and have to make several trips to get everything close to the water. i've taken to transporting it with the amas on and everything bungeed to the vaka. if i can pull up close to a launch site then time is halved.
the Wave is left on its trailer with all rigging and rudders in place. the semi-difficult part is walking the mast upright, if that goes well, raising the sail is a 1-minute job. what takes time is dragging the thing across the sand to get close to the water in the first place. enter the tiger trax, problem solved.
the Wave has one sheet and one sail, get out deep enough, lower and lock the rudders and you're sailing--simple. love it.
the AI has more things to fiddle with--nothing difficult, just fiddley. paddled, pedalled or sailed it up creeks, in lakes and open water. versatile. love it.