Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, that is great news (for me). I will place an order soon!

Mickymouse, now that is really disappointing! Traveling to the other end of the world without taking the trouble to bring your AI with you?! I can't really understand why you are going anyway. Judging on the pics, your place is one of the best possible sailing places, you have AI-buddies to go with and you go away from what is probably the season and weather in the world to the rainy, cool wet fall in an overcrowded flat country! :wink:
Seriously, although I don't have a TI, I've got another mirage kayak (an Oasis), so if you long for some familiar yellow plastic, just let me know!

Roadrunner, thanks! It is great to share this with those who know what this is about and can appreciate! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just repeating what all others have said Skua. Great stuff. We all know how big waves can get and hard it is to capture their size on camera, but you have done about the best job yet. Especially the 1st shot. Beautiful spot you live in.
You've put a lot of effort into this report mate and we all appreciate it.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Mickymouse, now that is really disappointing! Traveling to the other end of the world without taking the trouble to bring your AI with you?! I can't really understand why you are going anyway. Judging on the pics, your place is one of the best possible sailing places, you have AI-buddies to go with and you go away from what is probably the season and weather in the world to the rainy, cool wet fall in an overcrowded flat country!
Seriously, although I don't have a TI, I've got another mirage kayak (an Oasis), so if you long for some familiar yellow plastic, just let me know!

skua
I agree - I do live in a fantastic part of the world and really enjoy going out on adventures with my AI buddies :) :D However, I thought that before we get too old to travel, we'd make a return trip to visit & stay with our friends who live in the Tower of London and take the opportunity of using my cousin's currently vacant flat in Haarlem as a base from which to travel around from. I also got quite excited earlier this year about the possibility of buying a boat and spending a year or two cruising your rivers & canal waterways. I know a couple who live here who have bought a boat in NL and spend your summer cruising, then put it in storage and come home during your winter. I'm hoping one way or other to at least sample what this lifestyle might be like :roll: Thanks for your offer - it would be great to share some adventures together & have the benefit of your local knowledge - I'll keep it in mind in case I get the urge :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Micky, obviously, you are right! Making these kinds of travels is great, I would also do it if I had the opportunity, I only think I would go the opposite direction ;). That cruising lifestyle, taking the summers where they are sounds fascinating indeed! Good luck with your plans!

Thanks Slaughter. Honestly, the waves weren't that big (2 foot or so). This one was bigger than the others (Must have been over 3). The great thing of doing video stills (in sports mode, for sharpness), is that you can look after the rare stills that actually do show the size of the wave, makes it easier!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skua wrote:
The great thing of doing video stills (in sports mode, for sharpness), is that you can look after the rare stills that actually do show the size of the wave, makes it easier!

How do you do that Skua ? Is taking a still from a video clip done from within a special program or from within the photo storeage programe ie: imageshack or photobucket. I don't know how to do that yet and agree that the best shots would be somewhere in video clips.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
skua wrote:
The great thing of doing video stills (in sports mode, for sharpness), is that you can look after the rare stills that actually do show the size of the wave, makes it easier!

How do you do that Skua ? Is taking a still from a video clip done from within a special program or from within the photo storeage programe ie: imageshack or photobucket. I don't know how to do that yet and agree that the best shots would be somewhere in video clips.

Mate, most video editing software will let you capture a single frame, but a really easy way to do it is with a screen capture program. You just pause the video where you want, then capture whatever is on your screen (or just a portion of the screen). I use Faststone. The current version costs money, but you can download an earlier (free) version from the above link. It is really useful, as it also allows you to mark up images you capture.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Chris. I've been watching alot of exploring type documentries lately to try to get some better ideas and techniques to improve my videos. This will help me get some better stills.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 3 power boats and two sailboats and 5 kayaks and a rowing shell and 5 skiffs with outboard engines and since buying my Hobie AI they are all sitting in a shed. It is amazing, I can be sitting in my CAL 35 in a 20 knot wind, beating upwind, and be dreaming of how nice it would be to be sailing my AI. I never thought this would happen. What a rush it is to be sailing the AI. I sail in the Sarasota Bay where the biggest problems are the shallow areas. Once when the rudder kicked up I suddenly realized that all I had to do was get out, walk the boat into deeper water, fix the rudder and then sail home.

The pictures on Page One of this forum are great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Slaughter, as chris(j) suggested, I simply pause my video and capture the screen and crop what isn't needed.
If you want to do video for stills, don't forget to choose a mode with a fast shutter speed (like the sports mode).