Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hiya. just thought i would share yesterdays oooops with you all. firstly, where i detrolley, unpack and assemble the ai depends on the movement of the tide in newquays harbour. secondly, when its coming in, it does so quickly. so setting up is rushed.
thirdly, im always so eager to hit the water that i dont think straight. anyway..

so im out enjoying the breeze for say 10 minutes, 10mph northerly, not a wet ride, carefree, then ooooops, i remembered i hadnt screwed 2 of my 3 stopcocks in. so off to the nearest other kayaker in sight, all the while feeling low, and he couldnt get them in. so off to the beach, peddling, trying to make the most of the dying wind, where i got a surf instructor, in the water with wetsuit and zero swell, to secure them. i carried on s'ai'ling and only after beaching, when i began to manhandle the ai did i realise how much water i had taken on. so im going to put a sign up inside of my gate at home, stating. STOPCOCKS X3.

otherwise, getting up and down the hill to the harbour has been a breeze. errr, no wait, i need a breeze. i must be the only ai sailor in the uk who sweats before launching. i let the kayak (on trolley) lead me down, and haul it up behind me when returning. my first return required 4 stops up the hill, to get my breath, but now i just bite the bullet and shuffle. it takes 9 minutes from my house to harbour, and probably 15 to get home.

i will post with pics the topic, ready to roll, soon. please dont hold your breath.

stopcocks x3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

But you DID carry a hand pump in your safety gear, right! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STOPCOCKS X3. $25 handpumps. Amen to those.

But we are talking about the rear drain plugs, right?

I have not tried this yet (cuz I usually forget other stuff, like the wheels, daggerboard and rudder) but on a carefree day, should it not be possible to replace these from the comfort of your stern?

In any case, STOPCOCKS X5! (bring a spare)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am glad you made is safely home. +1 on the pump recommendation.

Years ago I took off for a solo sail on a Hobie 18 across a cold water lake on an easy sunny day sail with a light breeze. I also forgot the drain plugs and was halfway across the lake before I realized I was sitting way low in the water, more on one side than the other (one drain plug was in the hole but not sealed).

I quickly reviewed the situation and decided my best option was to sail to the nearest island before the boat sank completely. I made it to the beach just in time and then spent a long time pulling the boat up on the beach as far as I could and watching the water drain out then repeat. A Hobie 18 hull will hold a lot of water. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

me again. i didnt have a pump, and probably wont carry one. im trying to keep my s'ai'ling as uncomplicated as possible, so will rely on my stopcocks being secured properly. yes, i probably could have screwed them in from on board, but had other ideas and that would be a last resort. also, without jumping in to be alongside the stern, my weight would have helped water ingress which i guess was happening anyway.

i havent put the sign up yet, but doubt i will ever forget to check them again before sailing.

for those in the know, when i unscrew the stopcocks, the hull and amas seem pressurized. this is why, besides for drainage, i store and transport the ai with them out. am i right in thinking this is better for the seals? no not the ones that hijack my mackerels, the seals round the stopcocks. as you could imagine, with pressurized stopcocks, not much water goes in seeing the air wont come out..

oh, and i posted a new topic with pics last night, and have no idea where theyre at..

thanks for the input..

sinkingwet..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No pump? The pump is a simple safety issue--it does not really complicate anything regarding sailing. These boats have been known to develop serious leaks (cracks) under sail and/or pedalling--it has nothing to do with plugs and standard fittings.

Personally, I don't remove any plug. As far as I can tell from my 2 AIs, the plug fittings do not leak. No need to remove them--too complicated. In my case it comes under the heading, "If it is not broken, don't mess with it."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the $20 or so it brings a lot of piece of mind. Buy it, put it in the center hatch (with a leash so You can find it when needed) and then forget about it.

I even carry a spare plug in my toolkit. I take them out when doing leak tests with the exhaust from a shop-vac, and once almost forgot to reinsert it when leaving to sail. :roll: