Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be picking up a new to me 2008 Adventure Island either tonight or tomorrow evening and was wondering a few things. When inspecting the boat what are some key parts to look at and check for problems before purchasing? What parts are prone to breakage...things such as that?

It comes with some accessories and from the pictures looks to be well taken care of. I'd like to take it out this weekend what advice can you give me? I've been watching tons of videos but being a first time sailor what do I need to know? Any websites to give me a run down?

Thanks in advance!

Ss

I'm so stoked I don't think I slept last night!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not an expert on areas of weakness or damage. I always check the bottom of the boat first. If the boat has a ton of scratches, then you will want to check other things out, if the boat has no scratches, then you know the guy took care while docking it, and that often translates to the type of person who takes care of it in other ways. Also check the sail. My boat was a demo boat and the hull was perfect, but the sail isn't great. It had a slight tear in the window, which my dealer fixed with mylar tape and will repair when I return from a short vacation.

There are probably other areas to check, fraying of lines, making sure the rudder works well etc, look for cracks along the mirage drive area etc.

As far as sailing it, I'm a new sailor too. Remember that you have the ability to furl the sail if things get beyond your skill set. I went out last night for the first real sail, and I probably could have sailed the boat with the sail out fully, but the gusts picked up, and I made the decision to furl the sail, which made all the difference in the world to me enjoying the boat. I learned a little bit more, and was able to play with how much sail I had out, to keep things within my comfort zone. It's a GREAT feature.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SinkingShip,

Two US web sites (assuming you're in North America) that are always useful are:
http://home.ussailing.org/
http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/sectors/lwx.php

US Sailing has an excellent on-line education course and great links to other information
The National Weather Service has a page which provides marine forecasts and will show wind strength and direction
Most state department of natural resources have sites that provide real-time tide or water level info in addition to ramp locations, public parks, etc.

These are a good place to start.

baysailor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

- CHECK THE SAIL!
- Check for damage inside the scupper holes!
- DITTO to inspecting the drivewell and mast attachment points for leaks.
- Make sure the rudder and lines are in good operating shape.

Everything else is gravy.

I would dry out the boat and take it for a mellow test sail or paddle. Look for and measure any leaks. If it's in drydock, fill the hull w/ water and check for bottom leaks. While doing this, chat the guy up and ask for friendly advice, such as loading and transporting the boat.

Do all that and you probably won't live up to your name, on your maiden voyage.

Image.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK - I've only had my 2009 AI for about 6 months, but some things are clear: this thing absolutely loves 6-10 knots of wind, in stronger winds reefing = more fun, the things only tacks unaided in a narrow wind range, does not point particularly well (but who cares?), and is definitely "wet in all conditions" (I tell my friends that it's like sailing a submarine). Helm balance with the both the daggerboard and drive in place is poor (on mine anyway), but this is easily fixed by cocking the daggerboard back at around 45 degrees (I tie the daggerboard bungie to the eye forward of the mesh pocket rather than the standard location).

I'm going through a manic "modification phase," but I'll spare you and just tell you the most important one: replace those demonic wool telltales on the sail with proper ripstop nylon ones!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check the condition of the sail, fraying of edge's, damaged or brittle window. Also check that all the battens are still in place and ok.

Take the sail off the mast and check the (2 piece) carbon mast is not damaged.

Check all the nuts etc to the mast socket are tight and no cracks around the base in the hull.

Check no cracks around the Mirage slot and that the click and go is working ok.

Check no cracks where cross bars and ball sockets mount to hull.

Check all rudder control lines condition of wear/slack.

Check no cracks where the seat plugs fit in.

(Caution don't get your fingers stuck) Feel deep into the scupper holes for cuts and holes (can be made by sticking the trolley in poorly).

Check the rudder lift is working and slack in lines.

Check wear at the bow and stern for excessive abrasion thinning the hull to much.

Check the Mirage drive Fins & Rods, wear on the main shaft, all grub screws are tight and not stripped. Also check the springs for the pedal length adjusters are fine.

Check how well the ball mounts and cross braces fit + the aka pins.

Check the condition of ocy straps on the amas and that secure the forward hatch.

Check the 8" hatch seals are not cut/torn.

Check the front hatch seal is not cut/torn.

Check for any holes drilled into the hull for mounting extra's have sufficient support and sealing.

Pull the wheels off the cat and check wear/welds on axles.

Not much left to check after that as you have rebuilt the boat just about.

These are not necessarily problem area's, just where I would look as I believe they would be the most worn/stressed area's.

Good luck and enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh yeah, "SinkingShip",

Make sure you have all 3 drain plugs. :mrgreen: