Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And, your point?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dosjers wrote:
The TI must plane to get the speeds that I have seen sailing mine. The maximum theoretical hull speed of the boat before planing is 5.8 knots or 6.6 mph. I have hit 9 & 10 mph on a number of occasions so it must be getting on plane.

There appears to be a widespread misunderstanding that a boat has either a displacement or planing hull. The reality is that some designs, like the TI (and many "sport" keelboats) have a limited ability to exceed displacement maximum speed due to there being enough planing surface below to lift the hull enough to "break out" of displacement speed. As WS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pburling
I am also trying to make it easier to handle the TI alone on land. If your storage cradle can be elevated high enough to allow the scupper cart to be inserted after the boat is pulled out half way you would no longer need to roll the boat on it's side. I do this on my trailer and either set a cooler under the stern to keep the boat from tilting or just let the bow rest against the bottom of the upper deck on the trailer for the short time it takes to insert the scupper cart. A more elegant solution for you would be a little rolling stand that pulls out with the boat and holds it in the elevated horizontal position while you insert the scupper cart. Then you just have to lift the stern and kick the cart out of the way and pull the boat out to the point where the scupper cart wheels can take over.

I also have a steep boat ramp where I prefer to launch. Pulling the fully rigged boat up the ramp at the end of the day is a challenge alone. I'm toying with making a third wheel assembly for the bow that I can strap on while in the water at the ramp. It would need to be small enough to take along on the boat with the scupper cart. I think the third wheel will make it a little easier to pull the boat up the ramp because I will not have to lift the boat as well as pull.
An extension of this idea is to have a trailer hitch receiver on the third wheel assembly and a ball on the rear of my trailer.
Then I could use the vehicle and trailer to slowly pull the boat up the ramp to the rigging area.

Just some ideas, some of them half-baked.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Buckaroo wrote:
pburling
If your storage cradle can be elevated high enough to allow the scupper cart to be inserted after the boat is pulled out half way you would no longer need to roll the boat on it's side.

Here is my setup. I really didn't want the TI so high up but I had to work with in my trailer already setup for kayaks, but it actually works quite well. I can insert the scupper cart fully then slide the the boat off. The only problem is because of the steep angle, as the stern of the TI approaches the ground or boat ramp you have to make sure it doesn't scrape. I don't back into the water at the ramps. I go sailing with my wife so I have assistance getting boat on and off trailer but I think I could do it solo if really had to.
Eventually I will get a new trailer so the TI is on the bottom and kayaks, SUP's can go on top, but until then this setup works well for me, plus it builds up my muscles lifting that heavy TI.