Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well in the other section of the forums I had a discussion about taking on an extra passenger in the rear of my AI. This past saturday the fiance and I were able to sneak away for what I was hoping to be a fun filled couple of hours. The entire week leading up to this particular saturday I had been watching the wind reading at a few of my favorite spots to fish and just goto in general. I had narrowed it down to Polacios TX...I knew a nice launch and was familiar with the area...plus it's one of the windiest places I know! So the entire week prior Polacios has been having steady 15mph winds raising upto 20 and gusting upto 26mph...this had me excited like ya wouldn't believe. I was actually a bit worried since we have a few storms brewing in the Gulf that it might get higher than that. So we leave the house and I check the station readings and its sitting at 10mph...not too bad...but looking at the prediciton for the next 3 hours showed a steady decline. We still head out with a positive attitude be damned the wind we wanted to get out there!!! We arrived at about 10am and setup the AI and were in the water in under 15 min. The winds were sitting at about 8-10 mph with a few gusts in between. Right off the launch I get her moving at a decent little pace considering the winds. About 5 feet off to our left a dolphin surfaces scaring the bejesus out of my fiance!!! The scream which insued was about as funny as it gets!!! I'm not too sure but I think that she mave have scared the dolphin more than it scared her because in a flash they were about 30 feet to my right...They had to have gone right under us. I turn the boat around and tail behind it watching it surface when I notice that there was a little one matching the mama every time she surfaced. I was hoping she might be more curious than upset but it seemed she wanted nothing to do with us. I followed them around for a bit and after about 30 minutes...the wind dropped out. Not just a little...but gone, no wind, I could fart harder than it was blowing. At this point I get a little frustrated at the lack of wind after an amazing week and finally being able to get out. I tried to maintain good spirits as I turned and headed back in. I have to say that it is much easier to peddal myself back in than with an extra passenger, but I didn't mention that to her for fear of getting bopped in the back of the head since I could not see her.

All in all we had a great time for all of 30 minutes, but hey it's better than sitting at home right? Well the wind stayed dead for the drive home and so I was glad we called it a day. I know she had a blast minus having to turn around to look at whats in front of us...oh and next time she told me "bring me back when there's wind!"

Gotta love her!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, a bad day sailing the AI is better than not sailing at all :D

Now we just need pics :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah, you know the saying on the forums here... no pics, it didn't happen! :lol:

But hey, a bit of sailing, fun with dolphins, fiancée very positive: "bring me back when there's wind!" Sounds like a good day!