Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: almost put it over
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Out for my 6th sail in my new ti great winds approx 25 km hr, about 1ft high of short chop waves on the water. Had the wife in the front so keeping it on the lean side of the wind so as not to get her too wet (no splash guard). All is fine until i start to stall, turned it to the 140 degree mark of the wind just then got a gust of 40 km hr on full sail, buried the ama and had the sail on more that a 45 degree to the water, just about put it over. Happened so quick the only thing that saved me was had my hand on the rudder control and when going over i pulled up on it for support so i would not fall out of the boat and turned it face on into the wind shocked the hell out of me :mrgreen: . Was a great adventure we had been out for about 3 hours and had done about 10km of sailing in both directions of the wind ( the Ottawa river runs west to east and had north west wind) the Ti is a great boat and some big power boats passed me and gave me some major waves and the boat ate them up a stayed true and steady.

Post subject: Re: almost put it over
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you're having a ball! However, if you're new to sailing the TI, it might be a good idea to reef the sail somewhat, until you're sure of how it will react in gusts on various points of wind? You don't want to turn your wife off the TI, now do you? :wink:

Happy sailing!

Post subject: Re: almost put it over
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was knocked down in my TI when an aka popped out. Luckily my wife wasn't around.

I highly recommend taking a permanent marker and drawing lines on the bottom of the mail hull to indicate where the handles are located. The hardest thing I had to do was locate a handle with the boat on its side. Once I grabbed the handle and hung on the boat righted itself. If you find yourself in this position be sure to release the main sheet before you right the boat or it may sail away without you.

2008 AI