Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is a cost differential, obviously. Aside from that, is there an argument to be made for one TI or two AIs that you can advance? I'm ready with my checkbook, here. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I started with two AI's and when the TI's came out we bought one and sold an AI. The only time I wished I had the second AI was when we went on a kayaking trip with a group of normal kayakers (if there is such a thing). We took the TI and paddled/peddled together. The trip was on a narrow shallow creek and it would have been easier with two AI's.

As far as sailing goes I love sailing my TI, solo or with a passenger but it is a bigger boat. My wife is a very experienced sailer but has not interest in taking the TI out for a spin without me because it is so much more difficult at the start and finish.

The TI is a lot faster than the AI but I like to sail so I don't mind turning the boat around on a regular bases and going back to stay close to my wife. When we were both in AI's we sailed together with no problem.

I would suggest taking them both for a test sail before making a decision. Be sure to try getting them off and on a trailer or the roof of your car too.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is this a trick question? Get the TI!!! :D :D :D

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The AI's are slightly more manoeuvrable boats when out of the water. They allow for some freedom to go where you choose individually (two boats, instead of one TI), and are better for soloing in kayak mode. The TI has advantages on the water for speed and carrying capacity.

Can't go wrong with either, but even as an AI owner, if you can handle the TI off the water, and want to take two people somewhat regularly, the TI is probably the way to go, especially if you view these boats as primarily sailing crafts.

I really like the ability to still use my AI in kayak mode, and I don't think I'd enjoy solo kayaking the TI.

One thing that I have found is that before the TI came out, people were passionate about their AI's. Now there seems to be the same passion about the TI's. That doesn't make the AI a bad boat, it's still exceptional for what it is, so don't be swayed by the passion of others, you can't go wrong with either, just make sure you know what you want to use it for, that will help you make the best decision.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well said augaug.

Both nice boats and both will get good reviews from owners who've just shelled out the $$$ for their 'choice'.

I'm a solo sailor and sometimes a duo and the AI fits that bill nicely.

The main thing that gets me on the water is the ease of it all.

The AI goes on the roof with not much more effort than my Longboard.

I like the peace out there appreciating nature and the elements and the ease in doing it.

The extra 30 kg makes it a bit of a wrestle for what I want.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My choice of the TI was because I expect to often be two-up, and occasionally with four on board (quiet rivers only!). Plus, I'd read an article by the very experienced "Yakass" at Tandem AI 1st impressions, that it was purpose designed for better sailing performance,

Car topping didn't appeal to me, so I move mine around on a trailer (see Trailer Finished, TI Arrives). I look for boat ramps, and/or 4wd access.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have two AI's and one TI. The TI is a slightly better sailing craft but it does take more effort transporting it around. A trailer would be best for both options.
My wife, who never liked the AI, really enjoys the TI. She has even taken to hiking out on the tramps when necessary. Sailed this way I would say the TI can handle stronger winds before it becomes necessary to furl the sail. It seems to have a higher top speed as well. The built in daggerboard is much easier to use than the AI's. When there is no wind we can pedal the TI faster than the AI's. For us it is a superior tourer and covers long distances better than the AI.
Another point to consider- it's a lot quicker packing up a TI than two AI's at the end of the day.:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I have two AI's and one TI. The

That's greedy having all those boats :D

RKbarry
I had the same question. I ended up going for the TI as I have my family to sail with. I also thought that if at a later date I could always go and get a AI for the wife or daughter :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks for your replies! You've given me much to think about.

One of my concerns is that I want my wife to be able to 'take charge' q bit. She places a lot of trust in me and may often be content to sit in the passenger seat and let me drive. I want to encourage more strength and independence in her if possible. Could you ask your wives what they think on this? To give some background I am a big-time sailor and think nothing of huge waves and strong wind. She is new to boating and somewhat hesitant about the whole endeavor. I don't want her scared away from boating. Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd vote for a TI for you. The AI, while being EXTREMELY safe, is a solo boat. If waves and wind pick up when you two are out together, you'll have a tough time helping her, while controlling your own boat.

The TI will allow you or her to control the boat, and if things get scary (of fun) you'll be right there able to take the controls in an instant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

augaug wrote:
I'd vote for a TI for you.
stringy wrote:
My wife, who never liked the AI, really enjoys the TI. She has even taken to hiking out on the tramps when necessary

Yep, I agree too. Especially if you get the tramps to go with the TI. A number of members now have enthusiastic sailing partners!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rkbarry,

I asked the wife she said "TI" and we have the opposite problem I am pushing for the single seaters and she is the tandem advocate. We already have an adventure and are considering what the second kayak will be.

Just look at Capt Max's signature photo and there is no way to say no to a TI. Even more so now that it is in Dune. I just don't like how I would currently have to store and transport the TI.

Fly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A trailer is the way to go for a TI. The main hull is pretty heavy and would be difficult to get on and off a roof rack. I store mine, assembled, right on the trailer which is equiped with the Hobie cradles.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, if you have room to store the TI on a trailer, its very quick to launch etc.
For more info on trailer see:
Trailer pics
Custom trailer plans

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that I’ve had some time to sail both quite a few times in varying conditions, I’ve come to the following conclusions in terms of comparing the AI and TI.

EASE AND TIME TO DEPLOY - If you’re trailering the boat, then it’s a wash. Even being larger, the TI is no more trouble and takes no more time to get underway than the AI does. Of course, if you’re car-topping, the AI is going to be preferable. The TI is a bit much for car-topping.

MANEUVERABILITY - There have been times with sail reefed and pedals in play, when the TI had great difficulty in turning back into the wind. This is negated to a great degree by deploying the centerboard, which in fact, is the best way to operate the TI under almost any conditions (sail, paddle or pedal). The AI is more responsive to rudder input and more maneuverable by a bit.

SAILING - Both sail very well. The TI is a bit faster than the AI when sailed solo. With two people in the TI, the speeds seem to be fairly comparable. Both are a blast to sail and provide much the same feeling on the water.

COCKPIT COMFORT - The AI is a wet ride, not to mention you sit in a tub of water 100% of the time. The TI is much dryer, at least in the rear seat, although neither seat requires you to sit in a puddle. The TI cockpits are noticeably roomier than the AI cockpit. Solo versus solo, the TI offers you a choice of cockpit locations. For cold water sailing, the TI has a lot to recommend it over the AI.

ABILITIES - Both will haul a good deal of cargo but only the TI offers you the ability to carry a passenger who can participate in the process. If I were going long distances or carrying a large amount of cargo, the TI is the boat I’d prefer to be in.

CONCLUSION - Assuming the boat is going to be trailered, there is little reason to choose the AI over the TI. Because the TI can be deployed just as swiftly, and sailed solo just as easily, it gives you everything the AI does plus offers the ability to carry a passenger, which you’re apt to want to do at some point. If there is any serious disadvantage of the TI against the AI, I’m not aware of it thus far. It simply gives you more options against few if any disadvantages. Two great boats, but if you could only have one, I’d go for the TI.