Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tow Job
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi all, Gringo you are on the money wit the the slip link, like a carabiner, on a loop from one aka to the other;
Quote:
I am still not clear on the tow point idea. I am thinking now maybe a slip link, like a carabiner, on a loop from one aka to the other. That would let the tow point slide along the rope as the boat turned.
The only difference was I was thinking fixed not sliding/slip. Slip may actually be better, my concern is when it slips across, the main line is then off center. The key being sharing the load evenly across both sides of the kayak and I think from center as well.
I would say try the slip first to satisfy curiosity, but make sure you have enough length in the rope that you can add a fixed dropper loop, you can then try it fixed as well.

Drifting holding the anchor and then securing again if you spot anything, is one of my favorite ways to dive, you see so much. As for anchoring, seems you have it well sorted. I hope I did not sound as if I was giving you a lesson, simple saw your photo's and how you currently have your anchor rigged and thought I would pass on my findings and technique's. One other thing I should have added, those little anchors though great, have a bad tendency to propeller and a terror to twist your anchor rope, if you fit chain, try adding a small swivel or even without chain adding a swivel has helped eliminate the twist.

Thanks for the conch link, I will have a read.

@ Nohuhu, sorry I would take some photo's and get some measurements but I am pretty much unable to handle my kayak and gear at the moment. Most zip ties you get are actually to strong and will not break when needed, when I first started I had to cut my rope and return with dive gear to retrieve the anchor because the zip tie would not break on several occasions. I now use the really tiny cheap ones that come in kits from KMart and the likes, the 20lb fishing line is just about perfect however and I normally have some on board as I am always fishing off mine as well. I have used this method for 4 years now and have complete faith in it strength wise.
To be clear, I almost always solo dive from my kayak, the following is based on solo diving unless specified.
If I am not being towed/drift dive or towing my kayak (slack water) when diving and have the anchor set, then I always run a reel/line from the anchor line so I have a constant connection. The only time I will not run a reel, is when there is a buddy watch on the surface either on a second kayak or boat, or a buddy watch sitting on mine. Most of my dives are done as a drift in current or as a tow during slack water (tide change). During our peak holiday season, due to increased boat traffic, it does become quite difficult to drift dive, I don't find it as hard to tow dive but then I do not cover as much ground and depending on the depth, does make it a fraction harder to dive (more air consumption). As the Holiday season backs off a little, I can normally find an area that I am happy enough to drift in and this greatly extends dive times.

Only once have I had concerns of my kayak being ransacked while it has been left alone on the surface. It turned out to be a concerned mum, out with the family on their boat. Though they truly were not really aware of dive flag regulations etc, the dad was quite satisfied that the thing blowing bubbles was doing it regular and was attached to the rope that was attached to the kayak, mum on the other hand was certain the owner was gone, the bubbles were whatever was now devouring me and someone needed to rescue me. The kids on the other hand, well when I surfaced, regained their excitement and fishing was no longer the priority. So after the whole Hobie what is it chat, and then the whole diving of the Hobie thing chat, I asked if they had a plastic shopping bag, filled it with fresh scallops as payment for their kind concern and parted company. Mind you, I do have a very discreet video camera running while I am down, just in case anyone takes a liking to my rods etc that are always with me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 am 
Site Admin

I have been looking for this thing since seeing it on a boat in the BVI last fall. This would work really well behind a Mirage kayak!

Quote:
Sea Sled/Lobster Scanner Tow

Find all the fish and lobster without swimming around all day. The Sea Sled is designed to be towed behind a boat around 1-4 mph. Pull up to go down and push down to go up.

http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/seasled.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If we had a competition called "Who Has the Most Envious Location", you would win hands down Gringo. The last thing I need to do is dive down to see if my anchor is caught on any coral.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very cool Matt! Thank you.

That's a nice TI accessory. Now if I could just train my bait to operate one of those,..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
I have been looking for this thing since seeing it on a boat in the BVI last fall. This would work really well behind a Mirage kayak!

Quote:
Sea Sled/Lobster Scanner Tow

Find all the fish and lobster without swimming around all day. The Sea Sled is designed to be towed behind a boat around 1-4 mph. Pull up to go down and push down to go up.

http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/seasled.html

Thanks, Matt,
what an awesome idea. That is perfect. I can swoop down and scoop up a conch one handed.

I just calculated that it would cost me about $ 280. to get one of those from here. I am thinking I can jigsaw a piece of starboard/lucite and u-bolt a piece of pvc tubing across it. Run a line through that and make a tow bridle.

Or just get a ski tow rope and attach a diving plane to that.....hmmm the cost is a'going way down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... or a nice turnkey-sized plastic cutting board cut and router'd to shape

if they only knew what I've designed with those over the years :?

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We haven't managed to get around to the new tow job yet. I have had my hands full fixing other stuff. Other stuff gets priority, sometimes.

But we did manage to get out on a day with less than ten knots of wind, finally, and got some kinda nice photos when we were not hanging on and screaming hysterically at each other over who has the most mainsheet tangled around their ankles. I put a bunch up on the blog, but these are pretty much representative of a winter day's sail this week.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gringo, the water clarity in your photo's is to die for :clap:

As for the diving tow, maybe you can add wireless remote to the rudder and an Evolve inboard as well. Would not have to lift your head then and can just steer straight to the conch :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, the pressure is off on that a little. Right as I was designing up a little tow bridle thing....we decided to go for a package deal on a used 18 ft. panga skiff from the USA. It's the manufacturer's demo boat from last year.

So that will become our beater boat....that we do most of our diving and fishing from. takes the heat ( and wear and tear) off the TI.