Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Keith - but with the Evolve down there, they wont even see your legs move. (Wink, wink.)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Yes Keith - but with the Evolve down there, they wont even see your legs move. (Wink, wink.)
I thought that was what the dodger was for.
BTW, as I understand it, tacking is not much problem in the TI anyway, but I am continuing to be amazed at how much better the AI is at tacking when I'm up on the quarterdeck. I'd like to claim it was part of my brilliant design skills, but it has taken me totally by surprise. I even completed a couple of accidental tacks the other day - absent-mindedly turned into the wind to slow down and before I knew it, the sail was filling and the boat was on the opposite tack.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dinghy sailors use roll tacking to minimise drag from turning the rudder. Neat trick eh? :)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Goodness Tony, you're right. I've been roll tacking and not realising it (just watched some youtube clips of roll tacks).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow Crazy video! What is the tipping point of a TI? Obviously, you were near it I would think. When the amas went right under, I'm sure the wind spilled over the sail, slowing you down as well, allowing the ama to bounce back up. I have had my TI only a week, and went alone one day sitting in the front seat. The ama submerged in 8knot winds, and so I reefed it in, fearing a capsize. This is why I am wondering what the tipping point is?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I assume that the AI and TI possess the same hull mast hole. So, given that the TI sail has about 30% more surface area, has anyone tried sailing the AI with the TI mast and sail?

Perhaps it would simply be too much for the AI and would end up being considerably reefed much of the time. But assuming the water wasn't too rough, it would seem the AI might get a real boost from a full TI sail.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I assume that the AI and TI possess the same hull mast hole. So, given that the TI sail has about 30% more surface area, has anyone tried sailing the AI with the TI mast and sail?
The height of the spool on the mast is different between the AI & TI.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is this something that couldn't be altered?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow I am lucky!

It is so nice to see all you good folks' advice and comments! I just bought a 2015 TI for Christmas and have had no lessons, never sailed in my life and my dealer is on vacation until after the new year. He delivered the boat at dark and gave me a flashlight showing of most of the workings. I was not about to wait until he gets back for lessons so I took my TI out at my North Texas lake cabin Christmas Eve... first day in 10-15 mile an hour winds and had fun. But I wanted more speed and so the next day the winds came up to about 20-25 MPH and I was hoping to get some real thrills. My girlfriend's 85 yr. old mother who can't swim wanted to go for a ride but as soon as we got out a little way she freaked and asked me to take her back in, I came in a little hot and sheered the plastic bolt on the AKA but still had two spares, woo hoo! I sailed a bunch but noticed that I could only get her going so fast before the submerged AMA would just refuse to let me go any faster and the boat would just correct itself back into the wind. Yesterday before we headed home I wanted to go out for one last run because a giant Norther they even named Goliath was on it's way and the South winds were whistling still and so I went out again with an eye on the horizon because I could see rain coming. When I heard thunder I turned around, I was about a couple of miles out but as the thunder got closer the winds died, I let out some slack in the sail to try to catch a down wind ride but it was not doing much for me. I saw the warning on the mast that says it conducts electricity so I furled the sail in and took down the mast and pedaled like Lance Armstrong and made in to shore just as sheets of rain poured on me. Yesterday tornados passed over the area as you might have seen in the news and it is cold as crap but I have a few days off so guess what... I am going back down to the lake, I am so stoked on this new sailing business and the best part is there is no one else out on the lake! (I am hearing Ozzy Osbourne playing in my brain I guess, AY AY AY!)

I forgot to say thanks to all who have chipped in on this forum because I was wondering what the top speed of this TI is because I am a bit of a throttle junkie and was kinda disappointed that I just was not able to get that dang boat going any faster. Putting it in perspective, my supercharged 310 HP jet ski goes over 80 MPH so i just need to enjoy 15 MPH for the price of wind... FREE!! I will be living on social security soon...

I'll keep you all posted because I am sure some one must be wondering if I will live to tell more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great start to sailing your new TI.

When your ama submerges regularly, time to consider reefing your sail a bit. Often doesn't need a lot, even 1/2 to 1 turn on the mast can make the boat behave quite differently.

As a displacement hull, the TI should only go about 8mph, but it can plane the hull in the right conditions and enough power (wind and/or waves). We often get them going 10-15mph surfing waves in stronger wind and once in a while much faster. :)

Enjoy...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe I just suck as a sailer, I've been out on 20-25 mph winds quite a few times on my TI and it is no cake walk for me anyway. Maybe it's just our area but when we get that much wind we get 4ft washing machine chop that throws our boat around like a rag doll. It's near impossible for me to go upwind at all. And just the weight and force of the water sheers my aka sheer pins and my rudder pins.
Not a fun experience for us.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The higher the wind, the more power your sail will generate. Thus, going upwind gets easier and faster as the wind increases.

If you're still having trouble, furl a bit of the sail. You'll be surprised how much this may help you and in very high winds a partially furled sail will very likely perform better than one that is all out, where the amount of heel becomes detrimental to your progress. If you're having to sheet out constantly to maintain control, then you'd probably be better off furling a bit of sail and staying sheeted in. You can only use so much wind...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The higher the wind, the more power your sail will generate. Thus, going upwind gets easier and faster as the wind increases.

If you're still having trouble, furl a bit of the sail. You'll be surprised how much this may help you and in very high winds a partially furled sail will very likely perform better than one that is all out, where the amount of heel becomes detrimental to your progress. If you're having to sheet out constantly to maintain control, then you'd probably be better off furling a bit of sail and staying sheeted in. You can only use so much wind...

I cancelled one camping trip a couple years ago because the headwinds were too strong. As I tried to make forward progress, the bow of my 2011 AI was continually being driven below the waves preventing any real forward movement. Even furling the sail helped little. Finally, it became obvious that, in order to keep the bow on top of the waves, I needed to furl the sail so much, I could no longer make forward progress. Ball game over. I quit, went back to the marina, packed up and went home. You can read about it here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=375 Scroll down until you come to My camping trip—I crashed

Edit: "... I could no longer make forward progress." As I remember, I could make 1 mph, and that included pedaling. I wanted to go 15 mi & it was already afternoon. I could have gone to a bailout campsite 4 miles away. At 1 mph, that did not appeal to me, so I canceled.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon