Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I apologize in advance if this is in the incorrect forum category, if so, please redirect as necessary.

I have two AIs 'fully loaded' with tramps (one set is NIB) and I'm thinking of selling both to fund a new TI. I want to share the fun of sailing on my AI with my friends and family, I also fish a lot on my AI and could use the 'extra room'. I do a lot of spearfishing and lobster diving so it would be nice if I had a buddy ride with me while I hop in the water.

What say you guys? Good move? Bad move? How much would I be able to sell my AIs for? I have an '07 red with tramps, been out about 10 times. My yellow one has seen the water about 3 times. Both are in excellent condition and have the Hobie tramp upgrades as well as the turbo fins.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you could do it, sell one AI and keep one AI and buy a TI. Gives you the most versatility.

The TI is a lot of boat to handle by yourself on land, so you may sail less often with a TI than with an AI, unless you always have others to sail with.

Also, a TI really should be trailered and launched from a ramp. I've launched/landed my TI from a beach twice and without A LOT of help, it could kill you! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
If you could do it, sell one AI and keep one AI and buy a TI. Gives you the most versatility.

The TI is a lot of boat to handle by yourself on land, so you may sail less often with a TI than with an AI, unless you always have others to sail with.

Also, a TI really should be trailered and launched from a ramp. I've launched/landed my TI from a beach twice and without A LOT of help, it could kill you! :shock:

Hear hear! :wink:
Or is that here here :roll: :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SweetDude:
My old boat was a 07 Oasis (in excellent condition), I traded it in at the Hobie Dealer for my TI (like you would a car). Used Hobies are a very hot item because once people buy them they never want to sell them so there is a very good used market (they hold their prices better than any other watercraft in my opinion). I'm out every weekend sailing and Kayaking all year round and love mine. Loading it up on the car is no more difficult than the Oasis was, it's only 3 feet longer, and the Kayak alone (without AMA's and AKA's) is only slightly heaver (maybe 20-25 lbs) than the Oasis was. 90% of the time in the winter I am by myself and have no problems launching and transporting the boat by myself ( I'm not a big guy). We were down in Key West last week sailing and scuba diving, we had three people on the TI plus diving gear and coolers (probably at weight limit), the boat performed with no problems, we had a blast sailing out to Mule keys, and around Key West. Sometimes we tow extra Kayaks out to the islands like a party barge, and dive/picnic/kayak for the day then sail home, it's a blast. What is awesome is everything fits into my car (Yukon Denali), Hobie TI, Hobie revolution, two single inflatable keyaks, plus coolers, beach umbrella, dive gear,etc. When we just go scuba diving we replace the inflatable kayaks and revolution with a small inflatable zodiac and put all the tanks (6), dive gear, coolers, etc into the zodiac, then haul it out to the dive site with the TI. The coral reefs in the keys are all between 5 and 9 miles off shore. With all the drive options (ie.. sail, pedals, padels, and my 2 hp emergency gas motor) I'm not concerned about the boat, it is actually pretty stable at sea and near impossible to tip over. I don't think there is a boat more fun and versatile than the TI, but thats just my opinion. Total fuel cost to date (over 700 miles on boat) is about $3.00.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree. Try to keep one AI. I have one of each, so I can go out easily on my own, or take both with a party.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey sweetdude, i dont want to hijack your thread, but had some questions. i just picked up a AI last weekend I do alot of diving and spearfishing. wondering how you have yours set up for that ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I mostly will be out in the water with my buddy the majority of the time so the loading/unloading on land is not an issue. I'll talk to my Hobie dealer this weekend to see if there is a trade-in option available, depending on the price I might go with that option of keeping one AI and getting a TI.