Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maiden Voyage of new AI
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Took the AI out the other weekend for it's first run. Winds maxed out at 12 knots so it was ideal for the maiden voyage. As you can see, it didn't start out ideal, but it eventually cleared and all was good to go. I was also trialling a new adjustment design on my cameras gimble mount. Didn't really work so I took it off after the first few clips. Sorry if you get seasick.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHU3LKZ10xc[/youtube]

Pretty happy with all the new feature so far. I like the new knuckle joint. It feels positive and seems to have minimal noise. Just hope it stays that way.
The rudder was clunking for most of the trip and at times turning into the wind. I only found out after that it wasn't properly locked in even though the bungie was on. Still having problems with the adjustment as the 'Down' pull won't lock it in, and if locked, the 'Up' pull won't pull it out ??? Any thoughts anyone? Is it all in the drum adjustment ?
The only complaint really is the furling cleat has been repositioned directly behind your right foot on the drive. How annoying is that ? I can see why, so that it's a more direct path for the furling line from the sail to you hand, but it couldn't be in a worse spot for access if you sail with your drive in. If it's any conciliation, I'm sure whoever signed off on the reposition went 'woops'.
I also just noticed that I videod the new handle splash guard actually working.

But generally these minor complaints are trivial and fixable and at the end of the day you couldn't wipe the smile off my face, so thanks again Hobie for another good product.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sweet !! Thanks for the taste ... tomorrow's my birthday, and while the water temps here are still mighty chilly I was contemplating bagging out of work for a first-of-the-season sail seeing how its supposed to be sunny, low 60's, and blowing 12-15mph.

... I think you just made up my mind, now to see if I can stuff all my junk into my old scuba wet suit

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent clip Mate. Did those reasonable looking telltales come with the boat or did you have to retrofit them? How did you record your track - did you get an iPhone already?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks PassWind - Happy Birthday mate. Hope you have a good day. It's OK, we don't need a video clip of your junk being squeezed into your wetsuit. :oops:

Chris - The telltails came with the boat. Gee mate, I didn’t even notice them until you said. I don’t look at them cause it’s all so intuitive. Sailings like a 6th sense. :roll: Hope they were fluttering in the right direction. :lol:

With the GPS, it’s really Google Earth with some yellow lines and some guess work. Getting the 27” Mac out on the water is a bit of a challenge though.

Pretty happy with the day, the boat and the clip. I think I was due for an update and even though there isn’t that much of a change, the changes that they have made sort of make sense ( except for that bloody cleat ).

With the clip, I was trying to fit in as many camera different camera angles as possible. It probably went on a bit too long and I’m thinking that a day trip should be able to be condensed into 3 to 3 ½ minutes for best results. Probably 4 minutes if there is spectacular scenery. Any longer and it get too monotonous. Also, picking a song that suits is bloody hard. I think this one worked OK. Glad you liked it.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
... the new handle splash guard actually working.

Nice handle splash guard... but where's a Sprayskirt?? :o

Fun video, but I had to dry off after watching it. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great video! Thank you. Keep them coming. I live vicariously through them as I dream of owning an AI one day, too!

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hope it has nothing to do with age Bob but I'm not enjoying the spray as much as I used to. I reckon I'll have to get your beloved to knock me up a set. With the Aussie dollar rocketing to all time highs it may be a good time. What are they worth and how do I go about it ?

ddrury - thanks for the feedback Donna. Glad you liked it. You don't have to own one to join us on the forum but I gaurantee that if you do join us, you won't be AI-less or TI-less for long. Looking forward to seeing some footage from your neck of the woods. With the scenery you have over there, you have our permission for your videos to go much longer.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I hope it has nothing to do with age Bob but I'm not enjoying the spray as much as I used to. I reckon I'll have to get your beloved to knock me up a set. With the Aussie dollar rocketing to all time highs it may be a good time. What are they worth and how do I go about it ?

I know what you mean! I'm ok when the sun is out, but when it goes behind a cloud, a wave splash will chill me, even with the water in the upper 70's. We're not getting older, we're getting better!

To order a sprayskirt, from my website at: http://www.kayakingbob.com/sprayskirt-purchase click on Click here to go to Dee's Website to purchase using Paypal (or credit card) and you go to my Wife's Quilting website, to a page on purchasing and choosing color.

After selecting your Sprayskirt type and color, for "Down Under" also click on: Shipping outside the U. S. - Add $10.00 for the extra shipping.

She just sent a quilt book she wrote out to the printer and is back sewing "stock" as I write. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Chris - The telltails came with the boat. Gee mate, I didn’t even notice them until you said. I don’t look at them cause it’s all so intuitive. Sailings like a 6th sense. :roll: Hope they were fluttering in the right direction. :lol:

You can sail perfectly well without telltales, but it's uncanny how the speed reading on the GPS always goes up when the telltales are just right. Not that you'd ever realise with those cruddy pieces of wool they used to supply with the AI.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate -your videos keep getting better and better. 8)
Nice work and very entertaining!
Love the slomo edits.
Hmmm... you should be looking at the GoPro to supplement your clips. In R3mode at 60fps the slomo is crystal clear.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Mate -your videos keep getting better and better. 8)

Thanks mate. Trouble is the slomo comes out a bit jerky on iMovie, and there is a bit of clarity tradeoff. Can't wait to get out when there is a bit more wind or swell. I reckon some of those lower camera angles will work well in a bigger sea. Always hard doing something original and not monotonous.

While you are both on line, any thoughts of getting together for another trip soon fellas ? Long overdue I reckon. The whale season has just started and I haven't seen one from the water yet so this year I'm keen to get up close and in their face. Perhaps still a bit early so I might do a search around to see if there any whale spotting websites. Any other ideas ?