Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heaving to
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went out for a sail in 15-22 knots of wind, I watched some of the racing whilst out, sail furled, got fed up being bashed about by the short steep waves so I unfurled a small area and pushed the rudder up to windward, it all went quiet! The AI heaves to and makes way forward at about 1/2-1 knot, probably a bit of leeway as well. Now I just need to raise my seat higher and get a kettle installed for afternoon tea..... :lol:

Had to laugh, I did wonder if I was taking on water, solid water coming over the top every other wave, on the 5 mile upwind leg and once that thought is there...... anyrate, spent most of the day in wet conditions going upwind with the bows under, downwind with the bows burying and waves coming over the side of the cockpit. I peeped in the hull when I got back to the slipway and there was a few cupfuls of water, then I noticed the middle hatch that I hadn't fastened down fully......... haha! What a dumbo!

Post subject: Re: Heaving to
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Weysail,

Thanks for letting me know the TI will heave to. I never thought to try it but next time I go out I'll give it a go. It's one of the things you don't do often but it sure comes in handy when you need it.

2008 AI