Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Destin/Ft Walton Beach
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jus got the TI, looking at going into the gulf to do some fishing. If you live in the Destin/Ft Walton Beach Area, what are your tactics/avenue of approach towards going into the gulf?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So far I can't tell you the best way to do it, only the ways to avoid. I haven't yet found a good method that dosn't involve dragging the behemoth over the sand, and "that aint fun".......

This weekend end we took a TI and an AI to the Navarre Beach pier and launched there. It sucked. Even with the wheels it was a bear to pull the TI down the board walk and then up and over the railing (to avoid the 90 degree turn) P90X has nothing on the TI beach work out....

The other way I've accessed the gulf has been to put in near the Coast Guard station and sail through the pass. Depending on wave conditions at the entrance to the pass and the number of boats going through, it varies from a mildly tense experience to white knuckled horror. It's probably best to avoid it anytime there is a southerly wind since the pass is at it roughest then.

We'll be scouting for other areas and if I find a good one I'll post it or send you private message. We are wanting to get into Gulf fishing also.

In the mean time, the Redfish bite at the mid-bay bridge is outstanding. You can put in on the Niceville side off of White Point Rd (need a Eglin Range pass), or on the Destin side by Legendary Marine. 1/4 oz jig heads with live shrimp on 10-15 lb mono is what I've been using.

Congratulations on your new TI, I'm sure we'll see you out there!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on the TI!!
My preferred method of reaching the gulf is to sail across the bay from shalimar and out the pass. Keep an eye on the weather. Wave heights can double on an outgoing tide at the exit. In the winter fish for reds at crab island. Wave runners will spook them off during tourist season. You might try trolling around the rocks and down the beach.
Hope to see you out.
Later,
Greg

Last edited by Surfoos on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Love it!
I was needing information and best place / boat ramp for Destin east bay area.
I'm coming into Destin area next Saturday July 9th for my yearly family 2 week vacation (5th year running).....but this year is different ... I will have a new "unused" dune TI in tow (I've had it about a month "been working")
Thanks for the info................and more if you have any.

Just from reading replys on the Hobie forum, I bet there is more AI and TI owners in the Destin area than any other area!

Moejay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Boat ramps in the Destin area are pretty well nailed at http://fishingdestinguide.com/BOATRAMPS.html. I found this thanks to toomanyboats on this forum. She travels to the area too and has some posts on this forum you may want to search. Lots of options, so it just depends where you are staying. I would prefer to launch anywhere near the Destin's harbor. The Joe's bayou launch may be best. It's the one pictured on the top of the cited web page (N 30 24.63 W 086 29.45). Others are the Fort Walton Beach landing (N 30 24.07 W 086 36.24) and the National Seashore ramps (N30 23.52 W086 34.57).

For my little AI, my preferred method of launch is to slide off a utility trailer and onto a hand cart; then wheel the hand cart down to the water (with all accessories pilled on top if the walk is long) and build up the boat in shallow water. I look for spots that lets this happen - park close to the water, manageable seawall, and a place to stand in shallow water. My hand cart has extended runners to spread the load and allow me too launch over a small enough sea wall. I do this single handed, but since you have two, you may be able to hand carry your stuff.

If you can "drag your behemoth" as weinerdog has done, then the southwest foot of the Destin bridge is the closest launch you can get to all the action, however, don't try it unless you get there early. They have parking for about a 100 cars, but it fills up quickly. They have no ramp, but the water is right there (it's about 100 yards to the right of where my boat is parked on the home page photo of my web site).You may want to drive by this site before committing to make sure it is compatible with your methods.

One last tip: places with TI parking for lunch while on the water near Destin are scare. Wall to wall seawall and private docks. Here are some tips:
1. http://www.destinseafood.com/ - really good food. There is a small sliver of beach parking on the left side of the restaurant that is always available. Stay on the restaurant side of the fence line or one of Destin's founding fathers will come charge down at you in a golf cart.
2. One of the floating vendors on crab island. Great only if you are drunk and hungry.
3. Any restaurant on the coast in the gulf. If the seas permit, you can park almost anywhere on the gulf side beach.

Enjoy,

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excellent tips!

Since we RV we stay at Top Sail Hill at Santa Rosa Beach.
We travel/play from Fort Walton to Panama Beach during our stay....so much to do! Last year we even rented kayaks on the Black Water River.

You have been very helpful. Now to learn how to sail this thing.
Thanks,
Moejay